U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 21,071,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Exactly. But as we know, the Northeastern Elitists hold fast to the very provincial idea that a city is without merit unless it is fashioned in the image of their cities.
Well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 PM

21,100 posts, read 33,079,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and it was "SOOO suburban". Might as well not be in denial about it. The inner core of the city is nice and I believe a lot of people come to the city and neglect places like Midtown, Decatur, and Inman Park --- but still, Atlanta is one of the most suburban metropolitian areas in the nation. It has its nice urban areas --- but it could use more of that.
Excuse me, but I used to live in McLean, VA. How can someone that lives in Fairfax County, VA make comments about how 'suburban' Atlanta is? LOL...rather like the pot calling the kettle black.
Every city in this country has a large suburban area encircling it...name one that doesn't.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 PM

6,931 posts, read 9,629,634 times
Perhaps it is Atlanta's great tree canopy, even in dense neighborhoods close to downtown, that causes some people to label it "suburban." I guess we need to chop them all down and pour concrete over the entire ITP so some people will find it non-suburuban.

Is it our car dependence? Perhaps, but name me one city outside of New York that isn't car dependent. And the last time I saw, there were still plenty of cars in NYC.

Is it because the majority of the growth has occured post war in a more horizontal direction rather than upwards? Good point, but what major city has not spread outward with less dense suburban areas, even the aforementioned NYC? And percentage wise, I am sure Atlanta's growth square footage above the first floor from 1945 to present would be at the top of a US list if one were to track such a statistic.

What makes a city a great place is not its conformity to someone's rules of what it should be, but the great mix of its history, its current growth and its plans for the future. On this front, I think Atlanta (biased opinion of course) is one of the finest (if not THE) in this country and in the world.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 PM

111 posts, read 197,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I had transfer offers to Dallas, Atlanta, St. Louis and Chicago. Atlanta was the first city taken off the list after 2 visits.

The reason I didn't choose Atlanta wa due to the lack of an urban experience. Dallas and Atlanta are too suburban. They didn't offer the walkable neighborhood or the unique living experience that the densified cities offered. A good example would be to visit a city like chicago and look at the neighborhoods 5 miles from downtown. Atlanta doesn't offer the same experience that I get in chicago.

As far as the Chicago area not being as diverse as Atlanta is a foolish statement. Chicago is a city that embraces all different cultures from around the world. Everyone bring their music, food and way of life with them and that is what creates the chicago (world class) experience. Another reason for Chicago being a world class city is due to the architecture (olld with the new) with the natural beauty of lake Michigan with a very progressive initiative that was established years ago to preserve. That mixed with the aggresive energy of urban shopping mecca, density and bussiness you have a world class experience.

I personally think that the Atl is a decent place to live for people that want a suburban lifestyle. I don't see the ATL as being anything else but. Its not a bad or good thing. Its atlanta. Trying to grow a city into an urban worldclass experience would be like changing chicago into a tropical paradise. Its what it is.
I agree

Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
If you want to take pride in Atlanta history and and the fact thats it's the King of the South, then take pride in it. Southern Cities in general are more suburban in nature then its older northern counterparts. It's not a knock on Atlanta, it's just an observation. I don't get why you get all defensive. Who the hell cares if someone from the north thinks Atlanta is more suburban in nature, it is what it is!!!

Atlanta is the king of the south I thought Miami was

Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,950,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
Miami is stuck on the end of its own peninsula (Florida) and doesn't really interact much with the rest of the south.

Atlanta is smack in the middle of it by air, train, or road.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:00 PM

6,931 posts, read 9,629,634 times
Quote:
Interesting comments, speed. What makes Miami the king of the south in your book? Give some reasons, some statistics, some references, some proof.

And if you agree with the OP on his striking Atlanta off his list because of a lack of urban experience, what are you doing in Alpharetta? At least move downtown or midtown or anywhere ITP... or better yet move to Chicago or New York. Several of us here will come help you pack.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,849,363 times
Quote:
With all of the threads on city-data and other forums surrounding that very topic, I have rarely (if ever) come across anyone trying to claim that Miami is the South's top dog.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Miami is stuck on the end of its own peninsula (Florida) and doesn't really interact much with the rest of the south.

Atlanta is smack in the middle of it by air, train, or road.
I was in Miami a month ago and I did fly in (AIR) I remember seeing hwy 95 North/South (Road) The Amtrack Train runs there also (TRAIN).

Last time I checked Miami is Geographically located in the south did something change

Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Interesting comments, speed. What makes Miami the king of the south in your book? Give some reasons, some statistics, some references, some proof.

And if you agree with the OP on his striking Atlanta off his list because of a lack of urban experience, what are you doing in Alpharetta? At least move downtown or midtown or anywhere ITP... or better yet move to Chicago or New York. Several of us here will come help you pack.

Miami is the most diverse city in the south and is way ahead of Atlanta in all aspects. That makes it the King of the south! You want proof visit there! Take a poll on where would you visit if you had choice Atlanta or Miami and see what the outcome is!

People try to X Miami out by saying its not really the south so they can make Atlanta seem more then what it is or give it the title KING OF THE SOUTH. But that's Atlanta for you for you trying to be something its not!! Atlanta you can't even do something as simple as buy a bottle of wine on SUNDAY King of the south PLEASE!!!!

BTW get the Confederate flags down and then we can talk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by speeddemonz; 10-18-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or