U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM

7,888 posts, read 4,935,855 times

Advertisements

I wish I had some specific recommendations for you beyond what others have written, but I don't. I want to tell you though that I think it's awesome that he's committed to turning his life around, and that he has someone who believes he can do it. I suspect if he's able to actually stay clean and get on a good track, the older he gets, the less that felony is going to matter.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:58 PM

46 posts, read 134,078 times
He can sill apply all over. Worst case scenario, some will not give him a call. Why would anyone bash you ? or him for that matter ? He paid his debt to society. It's a done deal.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM

15 posts, read 41,520 times
You might try calling United Way 211 (just dial 211 on your phone). They are an information and referral service and they may know of agencies who assist with training or job placement. Good luck to your Godson and blessings to you for being so supportive.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:35 AM

46 posts, read 134,078 times
Also, check with the Atlanta Urban League.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,421 times
MovingtoDuluth, there is a company called Tip Top Poultry that I know for a fact hires felons, however they only hirethe first week of every month and you have to go through department of labor. It is located in cobb county, off Cobb pkwy I believe. Give it a shot!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,534,682 times
Thinking long term depending on what he was convicted on consider talking with the military. Not all jobs are combat and with the way businesses are the ability to get health care and retirement is a consideration. Hey the worse they can say is no.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,953,829 times
I know this is an old thread but what the hell...

I'd recommend someone in this situation take up a trade as an apprentice and join a union. I think apprentices start out a little north of $10/hr or more depending on the job and I believe health insurance is available(maybe after a probationary period?). Look into something like plumbing or electrical work. It seems like blue collar professions are more likely to be forgiving of felonies and really only care that you show up and can do the work. Plus, you can end up making pretty decent money, have a foundation for starting your own business, and you'll have a skill that will travel with you wherever you go.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:27 PM

14,810 posts, read 9,515,306 times
I wonder what this guy did to get convicted as a felon? I'm certainly not in favor of letting bad guys off easy, but we've got way too many people locked up in this country. On sheer economics alone, it would be better to get some of them rehabilitated and back into the work force. It doesn't do any good to have some able bodied 21 year old guy out there who's permanently unemployable.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,953,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wonder what this guy did to get convicted as a felon? I'm certainly not in favor of letting bad guys off easy, but we've got way too many people locked up in this country. On sheer economics alone, it would be better to get some of them rehabilitated and back into the work force. It doesn't do any good to have some able bodied 21 year old guy out there who's permanently unemployable.
The whole concept of "corrections" in this country(and especially Georgia) has become nothing more than a money making industry. Think of how much money contractors make off supplying and running prisons. Think of how many relatively low skill jobs are provided in operating and running prisons and through the parole and probation systems.

Also look at how lacking this state's public defender program is and how politicians in Georgia whip the masses into a frenzy by being "tough" on crime. I, frankly, would prefer them to get smart on crime. Georgia is 5th in prison population yet 9th in total population. Does anyone think Georgians are simply more prone to crime? I doubt it.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM

14,810 posts, read 9,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I... would prefer them to get smart on crime. Georgia is 5th in prison population yet 9th in total population. Does anyone think Georgians are simply more prone to crime? I doubt it.
Well, it is possible Georgians might be a little more prone to crime but I am otherwise in agreement with you. Doesn't it cost something like $30,000 a year just to house and feed one prisoner? As I say, it is dumb to have so many people locked up on the basis of economics alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta