Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times

Advertisements

Legoland scouts city for ‘Discovery Center’ - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Legoland plans to enter the Atlanta market, brick by tiny plastic brick.
The company that builds and operates Legoland theme parks is scouting four sites in metro Atlanta for its Legoland Discovery Center concept, described as an indoor attraction and Lego retail store, with hopes to open by spring 2011.
There are currently only three Legoland Discovery Centers in the world: Chicago, and Berlin and Duisburg, Germany.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 10-23-2009 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
It would be nice if they were able to secure land around the Aquarium to help further develop the tourism zone around there.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
This would be great, especially somewhere around centennial park. The future keeps looking better.

Like the Chicago center, Atlanta’s Legoland will have a scale-model city skyline, Samuels said.

Lego model makers spend five to six months, using 250,000 to 300,000 Lego bricks, to recreate a skyline and build the Miniland, he said.

Legoland’s United Kingdom-based parent company, Merlin Entertainments Group, is looking at sites in Alpharetta near North Point Mall, Atlantic Station in Midtown, the downtown area, and the Buckhead area near Phipps Plaza, said Howard Samuels, national real estate adviser for Legoland and president of Samuels & Co. Inc. in Los Angeles.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:49 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
I want to work there~ Playing with Legos all day sounds like a blast!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Wow! And I thought the little Lego Imagination Center at the Mall of America was pretty cool. This is ... a lot larger!

Old 10-23-2009, 01:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
Wow, first a pirate museum and now a building of Legos! Really moving into the bigtime Atlanta!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Wow, first a pirate museum and now a building of Legos! Really moving into the bigtime Atlanta!
Maybe they can combine the two, and build the pirates a ship made of Legos.......

Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Better yet, they can make the legos out of wax and the pirate stuff out of the waxy legos.

Madame Tussards may be coming as well!

I am trying to envision all this in downtown. Will out of state families make downtown Atlanta a destination? Will local families venture downtown enough to make these projects successful? I know that the Children Museum struggles and so does the Aquarium, but I think both of these are to expensive to be enjoyed often by most ATL families.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
Its not as if nobody goes downtown around centennial park. There always seem to be people around that area. I had the same thought about Alpharetta. I think it will do fine in any location but would rather see it intown where its more accessible to everyone, especially tourists.

Add the college football HOF, Legoland, National Health Museum, Center for Civil and Human rights to go along with the increasing number of restaurants, CNN Center, World of Coke, Aquarium, Children's Museum and it seems like it will be a very popular place and a great thing for any city to have, all featured around a great park which hosts many great events. This is all reality, the only one that has not announced downtown as their site is Legoland. I believe Hard Rock even had plans to build a hotel down there, may be on hold currently though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

I am trying to envision all this in downtown. Will out of state families make downtown Atlanta a destination? Will local families venture downtown enough to make these projects successful? I know that the Children Museum struggles and so does the Aquarium, but I think both of these are to expensive to be enjoyed often by most ATL families.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:02 PM

188 posts, read 594,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Better yet, they can make the legos out of wax and the pirate stuff out of the waxy legos.

Madame Tussards may be coming as well!

I agree. These tickets/annual membership prices are far too expensive. We are members of the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga and the Creative Discovery Museum (also in Chattanooga) because the prices in Atlanta are too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta