U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,962 times

Advertisements

I would look closer to Austell. Atlanta traffic is not of the most enjoyable kind and patience grows thin after coping with it for a while. Austell, Powder Springs, Austell are all growing rapidly but still quite rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 PM

481 posts, read 2,590,853 times
Why Sandy Springs if you are going to be working in Austell? East Cobb (which is right across the river) makes more sense, it's closer to Austell, less expensive, lower taxes, and better schools than Sandy Springs. East Cobb and Sandy Springs are both nice areas, very similar, and right next to each other, but in East Cobb you have lower county taxes, no city tax, and much better public schools, since that's something you want. Fulton County has good schools.... north of Sandy Springs. People who live in Sandy Springs send their kids to private school. East Cobb on the other hand has 3 of the top 5 high schools in Atlanta (Walton, Lassiter, Pope), with the other two being in Johns Creek in Fulton County.

If you want to be even closer to Austell, Kennesaw and West Cobb might be nice. The high schools there (Kennesaw Mountain, Harrison) are ok, similar to the ones in Sandy Springs (Riverwood, North Springs) but not as good as East Cobb, and you'll pay the lower Cobb County taxes, the homes are much cheaper than East Cobb/Sandy Springs, and you'll be much closer to Austell. The only downside is that area is perhaps not as nice as East Cobb and Sandy Springs, which are affluent areas, if that's what you want, although that's being really nitpicky, since Kennesaw and West Cobb are nice areas, just not filled with mansions like Sandy Springs. West Cobb is also still developing and growing, whereas East Cobb and Sandy Springs are already filled up.

Avoid the areas in southern Cobb County though like Smyrna, Mableton, and Austell itself, they have some terrible schools... Pepplebrook, Campbell, etc...

Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 77,698 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a chance that my wife might work in sandy springs which is why I thought of sandy springs or the smyrna area.

East cobb might be more congested from what I understand...so the traffic to sandy springs or austell can be bad. Let me know if I am wrong.

Also, from other threads I realize that traffic is really bad in atlanta.

We have a 2 yr old daughter, so it will be sometime she goes to schools. It sounds like I should probably rent in austell/smyrna for sometime before purchasing a house.

We live in bay area currently, so used to having everything closer. I think we will have to use to driving for shopping if we decide to live in the austell/smyrna area.

Any other suggestions?.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Traffic from East Cobb to Austell can be bad but better than Sandy Springs to Austell. As I said before any place west of I-75 will be much better for commuting, in which case the best choices between Kennessaw/West Cobb.

Traffic between East Cobb and Sandy Springs completely depends on time of day. Both East Cobb and Sandy Springs themselves can be really congested on the main roads (it's kind of ridiculous for being suburbs...), but as for moving between East Cobb and Sandy Springs, since you have to cross the river there's pretty much only one option that EVERYBODY uses, Johnson Ferry Road. During morning rush hour, everyone in East Cobb will flood down Johnson Ferry Road into Sandy Springs, and then in the afternoon Sandy Springs to East Cobb will be packed with people. However, when it's not rush hour, going from Sandy Springs to East Cobb or vice-versa is very quick.

However, like I said Sandy Springs and East Cobb are right next to each other and even in rush hour the commute is not something to worry about. You should be more worried about the Austell commute, which is going to be very bad from East Cobb or Sandy Springs, or any place east of I-75.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 77,698 times
Thanks. I just realized that kennesaw and marietta are not too far from austell/lithia springs area. I am going to check all the places you mentioned including the east cobb area.

We might need to drive during peak hrs before deciding.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:26 PM

563 posts, read 2,548,190 times
Like an earlier poster said, check out Powder Springs/West Cobb/Marietta area. It's a growing area that is very diverse and family-friendly. There is more than one way to get to Austell from those areas--GA 6 and the East-West Connector are two examples.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:34 PM

39 posts, read 73,704 times
Cobb County only has five good public schools (Pope, Lassiter, Walton, Harrison, & Kennesaw Mountain), while Gwinnett has eight (Brookwood, Parkview, Collins Hill, PeachTree Ridge, Dacula, Grayson, Mill Creek, & Buford)

Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 AM

I noticed you were a lot less picky about the Gwinnett list, since Sprayberry and Wheeler are both better than half of those Gwinnett schools you mentioned... plus, none of those Gwinnett schools even come close to Pope, Lassiter, and Walton....

also.... what was the point of your post? I didn't realize anyone asked about cobb and gwinnett schools. I was under the impression that we were talking about commute times between Austell and Sandy Springs and things like that...

Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,153,729 times
yes, don't confuse the OP! Coolguy, the trick to a blissful life in the ATL is to live very close to where you work. Sandy Springs is very nice but you won't really be able to walk anywhere like you do in SF. Still, property values continue to go up. Heards Ferry School is a great district, among others. East Cobb is another good choice, but traffic even to Sandy Springs (if that is where your wife is moving) can be very bad. Have you come for a weekend and looked around with a realtor? I have a great one (we're currently looking ourselves) so feel free to PM me and I'll pass along her info!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,153,729 times
woops...meant wife is working, not moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or