U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,822,202 times

Advertisements

If you're in Piedmont Park, you're going to have to make lots of loops, but Piedmont Park is about as big as you're going to get in Atlanta (Chastain Park is also big) unless you go out to the Chattahoochee National Park. The PATH is a combination of actual trails and on-road sections. It will give you the distance you need but some parts of it will be on the street (not necessarily on a sidewalk -- on the actual street). The PATH has a highly variable design. It winds its way through multiple intown neighborhoods making use of existing parks, new parks, wild non-"park" land and streets. It is primarily intended as a place for people to bike and jog (although plenty of people also include their dogs) but it's not necessarily the type of place that scent hounds or highly energetic working dogs would find ideal.

I doubt the Mason Mill Park area would work for you in this regard. The Medlock/Mason Mill PATH is tiny (maybe a mile or slightly more) and large portions of it are boardwalk rather than paved. There is a small dog park at Mason Mill Park but it's not going to take the place of a 5 mile run. Neither would Thompson Park, which is also small.

Before you make any decisions, you'll do best to spend some time in both areas. Make a few loops around Piedmont Park and walk the girls down the PATH. Get a feel for what works best for you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 AM

281 posts, read 531,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
I am researching the Midtown and Inman Park neighborhoods and am wondering how Piedmont Park compares with Freedom Park and the PATH trails. Right now I walk my dogs about 4-5 miles (1 1/2 to 2 hours) every morning in a park that is several times larger than Piedmont Park. We really enjoy the daily dose of nature in the city.

Are the paths in Piedmont Park long enough to do a substantial walk, or would we have to repeat the loops? (We don't have to stick to the paths.) The website says the longest loop is only 1.68 miles.

I see that there is an expansion of Piedmont Park in the works. How close is this to being completed? Will this add a lot more trails that could extend our walks? I looked at the map, but it's kind of hard to tell.

Are Freedom Park and the PATH trails as pretty as Piedmont Park? How long does the PATH trail go? The PATH website says it goes all the way to Decatur and Stone Mountain, but I can't tell if this is really a greenway park-like trail or just a paved path next to the road.

Thanks for your help!
I would not walk around Freedom Park by myself, especially if you are a woman. Lots of deranged homeless people in the area. They are also in Piedmont Park, but usually there are more people there.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 PM

323 posts, read 527,914 times
Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone know what the PATH trail is like from the Martin Luther King Center to Inman Park? It runs next to Freedom Parkway, so is it noisy?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,519,826 times
In my opinion it's not very noisy but I guess that would depend on what you would deem noisy or not. Once you leave the intersection of Boulevard and Freedom Parkway going towards Inman Park on the trail it is much quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta