U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 PM

323 posts, read 526,364 times

Advertisements

I am researching the Midtown and Inman Park neighborhoods and am wondering how Piedmont Park compares with Freedom Park and the PATH trails. Right now I walk my dogs about 4-5 miles (1 1/2 to 2 hours) every morning in a park that is several times larger than Piedmont Park. We really enjoy the daily dose of nature in the city.

Are the paths in Piedmont Park long enough to do a substantial walk, or would we have to repeat the loops? (We don't have to stick to the paths.) The website says the longest loop is only 1.68 miles.

I see that there is an expansion of Piedmont Park in the works. How close is this to being completed? Will this add a lot more trails that could extend our walks? I looked at the map, but it's kind of hard to tell.

Are Freedom Park and the PATH trails as pretty as Piedmont Park? How long does the PATH trail go? The PATH website says it goes all the way to Decatur and Stone Mountain, but I can't tell if this is really a greenway park-like trail or just a paved path next to the road.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,847,797 times
I can't really advise you on the specifics of each--other posters who are more familiar may have some thoughts.

I'm over near Mason Mill Park--the Path Project did a good job on the project to connect Mason Mill and Medlock Parks--you can walk all the way between them now. Medlock Park is a good walking neighborhood. I'm off Briarcliff/N. Druid Hills we walk a lot along the streets--good walking if you are up to it.

Piedmont Park is a pretty good walk-from what I remember. Haven't been in a while. The PATH Project weaves around --from downtown to Mason Mill/Clairmont and I see the cyclists riding by. Bicycle South at N. Decatur Rd might have some FYI for you if you don't get it here.

If you want/need dog park fyi--I know something about that.

Mason Mill is also a tennis center and lots of exercise is going on there. ALTA teams play there--haven't been doing that either in a while.

Wish I could give you more FYI--just don't get over that way much now.

George Chong is a poster who would know--lives in Inman Park--and there are others--hard to keep up with who lives where--but they will probably respond if they aren't busy doing whatever they do.

hth

Old 10-25-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Does the PATH go from downtown to Inman Park?

I do like taking the girls to dog parks, although good walking trails are really higher on the priority list as I need the exercise too... lol. (My favorite off-leash dog park is in Sherwood Park in Toronto. It's a figure-8 trail along a heavily wooded hillside where people can walk or jog while the dogs run around. I wish more dog parks were like that!)

The Mason Hills area sounds lovely, but I'm looking at urban neighborhoods close to I-75, walking distance from MARTA, trails & restaurants.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM

[quote=la_cavalière;11341002]Thanks for the quick response! Does the PATH go from downtown to Inman Park?

I do like taking the girls to dog parks, although good walking trails are really higher on the priority list as I need the exercise too... lol. (My favorite off-leash dog park is in Sherwood Park in Toronto. It's a figure-8 trail along a heavily wooded hillside where people can walk or jog while the dogs run around. I wish more dog parks were like that!)

It winds--so terrible with directions--what is the street--Boulevard, North Avenue--maybe Moreland Avenue--it goes around Inman Park on the south side, IIRC. Ponce runs parallel to North Avenue--does Moreland intersect--not certain. Briarcliff Rd--that I know by heart--over half a century here--I should be able to give better directions--been to the Politics forum and cannot think.

Piedmont Park has a dog park--may have improved--the Mason Mill People don't like it much. There is a Thomson Park on Mason Mill Rd--Victoria estates---the dogs can run free through the woods. It is nice--not fenced/fenced--not certain--there have been fights over the dog parks.

I walk the trail at Mason Mill --that is usually a peaceful place. Bring pooper scoopers-the moms/dads take the kiddies on the path and don't like the poo that is sometimes left. Otherwise --that would be my favorite dog area.

George Chong can honestly answer every question in a bat of an eye--he is in real estate and lol he likes to dine out--father was a chef--may be somewhere having a late brunch or something. lol-George--he is so kewl.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,119,254 times
Thanks Take

I take my dog along the Freedom Parkway/PATH for long, 1.5 hour walks on the weekend too.

My understanding is that the dog park in Piedmont Park is being renovated. I don't think it's been open for a while now. My dog loves going there and being off leash and running around.

It's hard to compare Piedmont Park to anything else since it is a park unlike paved trails through the city with PATH. PATH Foundation

I take the dog to Piedmont for a change of scenery Otherwise, we love walking in Inman Park and Freedom Park/PATH. We always run into lots of other dogs on our walks.

I also don't know the status of Piedmont's expansion. I haven't been there all summer. I will ask my tennis coach when I go this week on it's timeline. Piedmont Park Conservancy - Park Restoration

I don't know if that answered your question or not Let me know if you have more questions.

P.S. I was born in Toronto

Old 10-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
The PATH website says it goes all the way to Decatur and Stone Mountain, but I can't tell if this is really a greenway park-like trail or just a paved path next to the road.
Sorry - I didn't answer this question - IMO - its more park like with paved paths. It may not be as wide as a "typical" park, but it's not just a few feet away from a busy street either. You will have to cross over intersections in certain areas at crosswalks that have traffic lights.

I hope that you will love Inman Park as much as I do

Old 10-25-2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks! This is a great forum with such helpful people.

So what are the trails like along PATH? Are they scenic & quiet/parklike? How far do they go east/west?

Although I love walking the sidewalks of my neighborhood, my two urban beagles are not terribly interested in that. They prefer to run to the end of their Flexi-Leads and have plenty of grass & trees to sniff. We usually end up walking off the paths to stay out of everyone's way. They are obedience-trained, but without a real yard to run in, their walks are their only way to exercise & satisfy their tracking instincts. My two are the fittest beagles you will ever see!

Also, how long does it take to get to I-75 North from Inman Park?

P.S. I lived in Toronto all last summer/fall... I miss it terribly! What a great city... so much to do and very dog-friendly, too. Lots of dog parks (albeit with skimpy fencing), and you can even take dogs on the TTC metro & buses. I'm guessing you can't do that on MARTA...?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:52 PM

If you exit off on Freedom Parkway, that is 75/85. Less than a few miles north, the two interstates split into I-75 North and I-85 North. I takes me about 5 minutes to get to the Interstate (75/85) and another 5 minutes to get to the split.

My dog is always at the full length of his flexi-leash checking out things off the path

http://www.freedompark.org/

No you cannot take your dogs on Atlanta's version of the TTC. The TTC is much more expansive than MARTA too. It is very convenient to take MARTA to Philip's Arena (for concerts and sporting events - just 4 stops west) and the train ends at the airport too.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Thanks! This is a great forum with such helpful people.

So what are the trails like along PATH? Are they scenic & quiet/parklike? How far do they go east/west?

Although I love walking the sidewalks of my neighborhood, my two urban beagles are not terribly interested in that. They prefer to run to the end of their Flexi-Leads and have plenty of grass & trees to sniff. We usually end up walking off the paths to stay out of everyone's way. They are obedience-trained, but without a real yard to run in, their walks are their only way to exercise & satisfy their tracking instincts. My two are the fittest beagles you will ever see!Also, how long does it take to get to I-75 North from Inman Park?

P.S. I lived in Toronto all last summer/fall... I miss it terribly! What a great city... so much to do and very dog-friendly, too. Lots of dog parks (albeit with skimpy fencing), and you can even take dogs on the TTC metro & buses. I'm guessing you can't do that on MARTA...?
Go to George W. Thomson park--Mason Mill Rd--between Clairmont and Briarcliff Rd---Emory --take Briarcliff to Clifton to Houston Mill Rd--R or Left on Mason Mill Rd--you will be in Victoria Estates--the park is closer to the Clairmont end of Mason Mill Rd.

if you want my opinion---I'd go to Decatur, too but cannot tell you where in Decatur. Lovin Decatur can tell you that.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:09 PM

The latest local grocery stores to open in Inman Park: