Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:40 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

How long have you been here and why do you like it here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
I have lived here for almost four years now. I lived in Boston for five years and hated it. The people up there are way too high strung. In Boston, I have been yelled at by cab drivers because my trip home from the airport was not far enough. I was also in the back of a taxi in New York going to the airport and side swiped a car (mini-van with a woman and her kids) on an overpass only to have my driver slow down then speed away.

The people in Atlanta seem very friendly and much more relaxed. I am originally from California and the people down here are more like what I am used to than up north.

The bar and restaurant scene in Atlanta rivals anywhere in the US. I have traveled extensively for work all over the country. Since I was entertaining clients, I have been to many of the nicest restaurants around and Atlanta's restaurants would compare with best of them.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
half a century or so

i like my area because people are living their lives and when we see each other we smile and we are courteous

all kinds of people here--mostly CDC/Emory people we understand ourselves and that works in this area

my neighbor isn't around a lot--realtor or something his partner is a good chef and gives us good treats--we swap vegetables and plants and they are the nicest people ever --lots of dogs here--wildlife--coyotes, rabbits, squirrels and birds part of Fernbank Forest--peachtree creek

it is so peaceful--safe and nice i am grateful to have grown up here--DeKalb County (((BHS)))

we protect what is precious to the future--progressive, yet conservative in ways that many do not understand and never will --the south

Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
We moved here 5 years ago, via South Florida from NJ. I won't disparage either, I grew up in NJ and if it wasn't for a job transfer, we would have been happy to stay. My kids hated Florida, especially the schools, but the weather and proximity to the beach was great.

Why do I like Georgia? Well, tonight we had our annual neighborhood Fall Fest. Most of the 34 families came. We ate, drank, and caught up with each other. I like knowing everybody around me. My kids like the schools and their classmates. We like the ease of getting into the city without living in the middle of it. I LOVE the Hope program, and the quality colleges available.

We love hearing the coyotes at night, and taking long walks in fields nearby. We are rural, but close to whatever we might need.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I moved here a little over five years ago with my wife, and I like it here because the Atlanta area and weather is so beautiful (all the wonderful hills and trees, and almost four seasons by our Minnesota standards ), and also because we've met a lot of wonderful people down here.

I'm also happy that we've been able to fit into the area, more or less.

I still miss the Twin Cities, and we had never planned on moving from there, but I'm glad we ended up here instead of a number of other places.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Wow, five posts all positive about Atlanta! Enjoyed reading them all. Won't bore you with how I want to come back. Dallas is probably as close to the Atlanta lifestyle as can be found... but the topography is not the same!

Glad to find others that appreciate what I do.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Left a friend's house this afternoon on Camden Rd. in Brookwood Hills to return to my house in downtown Decatur. As I like to take back roads through town, I meandered through Ansley Park, Morningside, Virginia-Highland, Druid Hills and Decatur. Having lived in several other cities, I can tell you that it doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited by Iconographer; 10-26-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 PM

37 posts, read 112,857 times
i was born in Atlanta but raised in Hapeville, East Point, College Park and Forest Park. Many on this board consider these places "ghetto" and tell newbies to never go there but i loved growing up on the southside of the city and i miss it (currently in school in Alabama).

There is a lot of hate for Atlanta here in Alabama. Montgomery is growing as a city and i always hear how "they dont want it to become the next Atlanta" and how they dont consider Atlanta the south anymore. (I have a feeling what they mean by this, but i wont speak on it..) Atlanta is a beautiful city, and the only gripe i have is people fearing going anywhere where a lot of blacks hang out but other than that this is the best city on Earth. And for people on here that claim there are only chain-food restaurants here, go to Hambone's in Hapeville, The Jamaican Kitchen in Forest Park, Camille's pizza on ponce or the Greek Joint in Hapeville.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
Lived in 2 years now and love this growing city. There is always something new no matter what your interested in. Love being able to walk down peachtree in midtown to Piedmont park, go to a Braves game, check out a new restaurant, visit a museum or get out of town to enjoy north georgia or the lake.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
The weather here is great most of the year and both mountains and beach are 1/2 a day drive away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta