Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 AM

306 posts, read 319,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I was raised and have lived in the northeast and have traveled all over the country for business for the last 20 years. While some of the mentioned cultural traits are more pronounced in the south, such as fundamentalist Christianity, NASCAR, and a fascination with college football, they are not limited to the south by any means. Plenty of people in other parts of the country share those interests, just not on the same scale.

As for "suburban sprawl" (a meaningless term I cannot stand) have you ever been to Los Angeles or many parts of California? Realize that even the old cities in the northeast have massive suburbs that surround them that stretch for many miles. Check out the stats on the Boston MSA and many other metro areas throughout the country.
Exactly, my point.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:46 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No, what you noticed was the Georgia influence. There really isn't much difference between GA and AL outside of Atlanta.
Right, and wasn't GA here first? Therefore, wouldn't AL be influenced by GA, and not the other way around?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
He knows that these things are abundant throughout the U.S. Some people just want to argue.
NASCAR has wanted to put in a speedway on Staten Island, NY and also in the Seattle area but were not able to penetrate the market there enough to support a track. Yes, there are people in the north who like NASCAR, Wal-Mart, huntin', fishin', etc, but it is a small minority while in the South it is a majority in most places and the places its not, the presence of that culture is extremely visible.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
NASCAR has wanted to put in a speedway on Staten Island, NY and also in the Seattle area but were not able to penetrate the market there enough to support a track. Yes, there are people in the north who like NASCAR, Wal-Mart, huntin', fishin', etc, but it is a small minority while in the South it is a majority in most places and the places its not, the presence of that culture is extremely visible.
That's funny..."NASCAR regional offices are located in New York City, Los Angeles, Bentonville, AR, and international offices in Mexico City and Toronto." There is a track in Watkins Glen, NY...getting a bit closer isn't it?

Hunting and fishing (those words end in "g") are at least as popular or even moreso in New England, the Northwestern U.S., the Midwest, and the entire country in general....as is Wal Mart - the largest public corporation in the United States. Wal Marts are not concentrated in the South. Get your facts straight before posting next time.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 PM

306 posts, read 319,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What a great post.

Staten Island proposed a track and it got shot down. People here don't want that crap.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
My mother is from western New York. It's a naturally beautiful area, but very very depressed. I grew up in and around Athens, and my father's family has been in the same county for more nearly 200 years.
However, I have never encountered more 'backwoods, racist, and Walmartish' culture than the small town where my mother is from. It is very country, and a lot more isolated and depressed than most parts of the south. I always found it odd that it was so racist, as there are just a handful of black people, and no other minorities.
I'm not putting the area down at all, I think it's really beautiful, however it has a lot to strive for in terms of culture.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's funny..."NASCAR regional offices are located in New York City, Los Angeles, Bentonville, AR, and international offices in Mexico City and Toronto." There is a track in Watkins Glen, NY...getting a bit closer isn't it?

Hunting and fishing (those words end in "g") are at least as popular or even moreso in New England, the Northwestern U.S., the Midwest, and the entire country in general....as is Wal Mart - the largest public corporation in the United States. Wal Marts are not concentrated in the South. Get your facts straight before posting next time.
Your point of view may be biased because you are from a small town.

I have met many people from small southern towns and they always act like everyone else is just like them, mainly because they were not exposed to different types of people growing up.

I actually got to the point in college where I had a hard time being around these "small town folk" because their point of view was so "country", for lack of a better word. Most of my northern friends thought even less of them.

Even their common view on Walmart is kind of odd. "Hey, my small town had a Walmart, so there must be one everywhere."

People that were born and raised in large metropolitan areas have a different point of view. I know growing up in Atlanta, on my Dunwoody cul-de-sac alone there were families from California, Arizona, Maine, Ohio. You are exposed to many different types of people.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I have met many people from small southern towns and they always act like everyone else is just like them, mainly because they were not exposed to different types of people growing up.
I would say that is indicative of small towns in general, not necessarily only small southern towns.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Your point of view may be biased because you are from a small town.

I actually got to the point in college where I had a hard time being around these "small town folk" because their point of view was so "country", for lack of a better word. Most of my northern friends thought even less of them.

Even their common view on Walmart is kind of odd. "Hey, my small town had a Walmart, so there must be one everywhere."

People that were born and raised in large metropolitan areas have a different point of view. I know growing up in Atlanta, on my Dunwoody cul-de-sac alone there were families from California, Arizona, Maine, Ohio. You are exposed to many different types of people.
I am from a small town? That's funny...what small town am I from? Answer: I'm not from a small town.

I love it when people on this site think they know something about me - but they know nothing about me.

There ARE Wal Marts everywhere...it's the world's largest corporation, the largest employer in the U.S., and the largest retailer in the U.S. I just wonder how THAT spells "southern" or "small town"?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
My mother is from western New York. It's a naturally beautiful area, but very very depressed. I grew up in and around Athens, and my father's family has been in the same county for more nearly 200 years.
However, I have never encountered more 'backwoods, racist, and Walmartish' culture than the small town where my mother is from. It is very country, and a lot more isolated and depressed than most parts of the south. I always found it odd that it was so racist, as there are just a handful of black people, and no other minorities.
I'm not putting the area down at all, I think it's really beautiful, however it has a lot to strive for in terms of culture.
What a great post. There are many backwoods small towns in New York state and all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta