U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for on December 1st?
Mary Norwood 72 73.47%
Kasim Reed 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,825 posts, read 2,391,094 times
Reputation: 1498

Advertisements

You pretty much accused Atlanta's current leadership of being anti-white, so how can you argue against me claiming that the current leadership at the State Capitol in a certain way is anti-black? That's all I got to say on this subject.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
So youre saying that all of these are representing the interests of solely white people?

1.-4. Sandy Springs is 14% black, Dunwoody is 9% black, and census data isnt available for the other cities but black people do live there. A lot of Asians live in Johns Creek. Yet I guess your certian these people didnt want cityhood?
5. So black people do not pay taxes and dont want this money spent in thier own district?
6. So no white people ride MARTA?
7. So black people were the only people who wanted the casino built, and it was defeated not because most white Georgian Republicans are Protestant (usually dont like gambling) but solely because of race?

Your trying to equate Conservatism with whiteness and it just doesnt work. Not all whites are Conservative, and not all blacks are Liberal.

 
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Downtown Atlanta Ga.
169 posts, read 244,599 times
Reputation: 103
A few things:

1) Please go back and read the "black mayor memo." It in no way argued that blacks should vote along racial lines. I dare you to read it with even a high school level of comprehension and come to that conclusion.

The memo is quoted in full here:
The memo about to shake the Atlanta mayor's race | Political Insider

My analysis:
On the "Black Mayor First" memo and the media... - Rashid Muhammad Dot Com

2) The rhetoric pertaining to the city's finances is disconnected from reality. Norwood is shouting the loudest about it, therefore she is the most disconnected. Unfortunately people who don't know the facts take her at face value for some reason. Just like they take the ajc's reading of that memo at face value when it's dead wrong.

Did you know that the city of Atlanta essentially zeroed out a 70 million dollar budget deficit in December 2008 by leveraging their new Oracle ERP system for real time fiscal control? Did you know that this system has allowed the city to produce detailed budget data that is more timely and accurate than ever before? Did you know the City Council members have direct access to this data?

Read this:
http://atlantaga.gov/client_resources/media/councilmember%20ltr%20-%20final.pdf (broken link)

Did you know that all of the candidates are proposing cutting the city's IT budget citing the fact that the implementation of that very system that helped us control our budget went $40 million over budget? Can you say baby with the bath water? Do you think this kind of reduction in liability can happen without eliminating a lot of waste? How much more waste do you expect Norwood or Reed to eliminate once elected?

I am very confident that regardless of who is mayor, if they let Jim Glass continue his work the city's finances will be fine. But of course acknowledging that would undermine both candidates angles on getting finances right, especially the one who is blowing the "Enron Accounting" horn the loudest.

3) I personally don't care about the race or political affiliation of the candidates. I was open to Norwood, but I've talked to too many people in trenches of communities around here that have little respect for her ability to do anything other than pander through legislation. The "skyscraper thing" was a very good example. Her underwhelming performance in the two live debates I attended didn't help.

Also, voting against a tax increase to end furloughs when citizens are in fear of crime - but your neighborhood has a privately funded police force - because you can't get information that has been flowing like a faucet out of city hall doesn't do much for me either. You can lower taxes once you work to "right-size", you can't unkill and unrob people.

While I don't see much evidence that Reed will be a great executive, he does actually have a record of accomplishment in the State Legislature and connections there are sorely needed. He's a Democrat so a lot of those accomplishments don't impress me personally, but his legislative work dwarfs that of Norwood and is on a higher level in more hostile territory to boot. He also has more than 2 issues listed on his website.

For me right now, as middling a candidate as he is, if we're supposed to be voting on potential efficacy Reed is a no-brainer over Norwood. Neither one will have the revenue to do what they promise nor the ability to make many more cuts than have already been made. In my view, Norwood is overpursuing the financial angle and her excuses for not putting public safety first look transparently calculated. I've also seen the whole "outsider" thing play out and, independent of a supporting movement of other politicians, is a disaster more often than not (if you even accept the questionable premise that Norwood is an outsider).
 
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,555 posts, read 6,876,702 times
Reputation: 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Well, since you brought up Buckhead, the representation at City Hall of the interests of Buckhead residents is dismal. City Hall has not given a sh*t about Buckhead for a long time. Buckhead is 15% of Atlanta’s population yet generates 45% of its revenue. A city of Buckhead could be run on $150 million, half the taxes residents pay to the city. The Atlanta Public Schools eat up 52% of Buckhead's property taxes.

I don't understand how your other two points relate to my comment or the video.
I live in Buckhead and I fail to see how City Hall "doesn't care about buckhead".
 
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 1,703,748 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You pretty much accused Atlanta's current leadership of being anti-white, so how can you argue against me claiming that the current leadership at the State Capitol in a certain way is anti-black? That's all I got to say on this subject.
Well duh, everyone knows you can get away with being anti-white because black people cant be racist, remember? There is no such thing as reverse racism. It does not exist, right? It is impossible. Even if you do not agree that is the reality of the current political, cultural, and social climate.

You cannot, politically get away with being anti-black, unless you want to ruin your career. You just don't see it, and the examples you provided offer no evidence to support it.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 1,703,748 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I live in Buckhead and I fail to see how City Hall "doesn't care about buckhead".
Their concern for Buckhead does not stretch beyond Buckhead's use as a subsidizer for the rest of the city. I live in Buckhead as well, but since I rent it is not as obvious. My sister owns a house in Chastain Park and the taxes she pays to live there are unfathomable.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 1,703,748 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZaakir View Post
A few things:

1) Please go back and read the "black mayor memo." It in no way argued that blacks should vote along racial lines. I dare you to read it with even a high school level of comprehension and come to that conclusion.

The memo is quoted in full here:
The memo about to shake the Atlanta mayor's race | Political Insider

My analysis:
On the "Black Mayor First" memo and the media... - Rashid Muhammad Dot Com

2) The rhetoric pertaining to the city's finances is disconnected from reality. Norwood is shouting the loudest about it, therefore she is the most disconnected. Unfortunately people who don't know the facts take her at face value for some reason. Just like they take the ajc's reading of that memo at face value when it's dead wrong.

Did you know that the city of Atlanta essentially zeroed out a 70 million dollar budget deficit in December 2008 by leveraging their new Oracle ERP system for real time fiscal control? Did you know that this system has allowed the city to produce detailed budget data that is more timely and accurate than ever before? Did you know the City Council members have direct access to this data?

Read this:
http://atlantaga.gov/client_resources/media/councilmember%20ltr%20-%20final.pdf (broken link)

Did you know that all of the candidates are proposing cutting the city's IT budget citing the fact that the implementation of that very system that helped us control our budget went $40 million over budget? Can you say baby with the bath water? Do you think this kind of reduction in liability can happen without eliminating a lot of waste? How much more waste do you expect Norwood or Reed to eliminate once elected?

I am very confident that regardless of who is mayor, if they let Jim Glass continue his work the city's finances will be fine. But of course acknowledging that would undermine both candidates angles on getting finances right, especially the one who is blowing the "Enron Accounting" horn the loudest.

3) I personally don't care about the race or political affiliation of the candidates. I was open to Norwood, but I've talked to too many people in trenches of communities around here that have little respect for her ability to do anything other than pander through legislation. The "skyscraper thing" was a very good example. Her underwhelming performance in the two live debates I attended didn't help.

Also, voting against a tax increase to end furloughs when citizens are in fear of crime - but your neighborhood has a privately funded police force - because you can't get information that has been flowing like a faucet out of city hall doesn't do much for me either. You can lower taxes once you work to "right-size", you can't unkill and unrob people.

While I don't see much evidence that Reed will be a great executive, he does actually have a record of accomplishment in the State Legislature and connections there are sorely needed. He's a Democrat so a lot of those accomplishments don't impress me personally, but his legislative work dwarfs that of Norwood and is on a higher level in more hostile territory to boot. He also has more than 2 issues listed on his website.

For me right now, as middling a candidate as he is, if we're supposed to be voting on potential efficacy Reed is a no-brainer over Norwood. Neither one will have the revenue to do what they promise nor the ability to make many more cuts than have already been made. In my view, Norwood is overpursuing the financial angle and her excuses for not putting public safety first look transparently calculated. I've also seen the whole "outsider" thing play out and, independent of a supporting movement of other politicians, is a disaster more often than not (if you even accept the questionable premise that Norwood is an outsider).
"Time is of the essence because in order to defeat a Norwood (white) mayoral candidacy we have to get out now and work in a manner to defeat her without a runoff"

Replace the word white with black and see how that sentence sounds to you...
 
Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM
 
8,710 posts, read 12,315,679 times
Reputation: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Their concern for Buckhead does not stretch beyond Buckhead's use as a subsidizer for the rest of the city. I live in Buckhead as well, but since I rent it is not as obvious. My sister owns a house in Chastain Park and the taxes she pays to live there are unfathomable.
You don't live in Buckhead.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 AM
 
775 posts, read 856,577 times
Reputation: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Lastly, everyone who is saying you should vote for Norwood because she is the "outsider candidate". No. She. Is. Not.


Norwood on the other hand has been part of the problem for the last few years. For instance, she constantly says that when she is Mayor she will be able to go through the budget and cut out wasteful spending. She has stated that she can't say exactly what all of that entails because she is not privy to all the details of the budget. How is that possible when she has been on the city council for the last 8 years and has voted in favor of the budget during each session? Either she has done a great disservice to her constituents or is just plain ignorant.

Its simple. Not all expenditures are included in the city's budget. The budget that is approved by the council includes the general fund, the airport and watershed management. But according to Norwood, there are many other completely separate funds (as many as 80) that are NOT INCLUDED IN THE BUDGET. I can't imagine that that number of seperate funds is in any way efficient or necessary not to mention the fact that it just begs for cronyism.

She's stated that she has unsuccessfully asked for all of the information so apparently there are some things that do not require annual council approval.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:11 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 1,703,748 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You don't live in Buckhead.
Yes, I do.
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 4,054,891 times
Reputation: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Well duh, everyone knows you can get away with being anti-white because black people cant be racist, remember? There is no such thing as reverse racism. It does not exist, right? It is impossible. Even if you do not agree that is the reality of the current political, cultural, and social climate.

You cannot, politically get away with being anti-black, unless you want to ruin your career. You just don't see it, and the examples you provided offer no evidence to support it.
My God man. You realize that you've just made it apparent that you're no better than the memo that you've been bleating about. It's too bad that you can't see beyond race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top