U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for on December 1st?
Mary Norwood 72 73.47%
Kasim Reed 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM

479 posts, read 378,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Borders endorses Reed. Borders endorses Reed for mayor - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Does this change anything?

Shocker!

NOT!

Lets see if we can count all the endorsements Mary Norwood gets from fellow Mayorial candidates who are out of the running.

How many of them will support her? Gee, I wonder. I really wonder....NOT!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Shocker!

NOT!

Lets see if we can count all the endorsements Mary Norwood gets from fellow Mayorial candidates who are out of the running.

How many of them will support her? Gee, I wonder. I really wonder....NOT!
So...what are you saying? It sounds like you're implying that Borders only endorsed Reed because they are of the same race. I can't say this for certain, but Lisa Borders strikes me as the type of person who would support a candidate for reasons related to abilities and character - not race.

I may be wrong because I don't know her personally...but it's unfair to automatically assume that people's actions are racially motivated.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM

8,145 posts, read 7,478,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So...what are you saying? It sounds like you're implying that Borders only endorsed Reed because they are of the same race. I can't say this for certain, but Lisa Borders strikes me as the type of person who would support a candidate for reasons related to abilities and character - not race.

I may be wrong because I don't know her personally...but it's unfair to automatically assume that people's actions are racially motivated.
Some people do not care bout fair.They only wish to try and validate their OWN feelings and desires by portraying others as if they are as he is.Not "fooling anyone" over here either.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM

169 posts, read 244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Does anyone know if Reed ever changed his tune on this? I'll bet not.

Reed Refuses Bordersí Challenge to End Nepotism ę Borders for Atlanta (http://www.bordersforatlanta.com/2009/10/19/reed-refuses-borders-challenge-to-end-nepotism/ - broken link)

It would be nice to have a mayor:

1.Whose family and friends' livelihood was not inextricably tied to the airport
2. Who didn't treat City Hall as his/her private Jobs Program.
I liked Borders but this came off to me as being trite. The whole idea of hiring the best people for the job is incompatible with swearing off hiring anyone you've ever been associated with. If Reed has represented quality businesses that can do the best job for the City, I see no reason for them to be blocked from providing that service as long as they compete with everyone else. While I'm sure the Mayor has to sign off on all contracts, surely he could recuse himself from selection of the vendor (which I doubt he would do a lot of to begin with) and whatever assessments that would follow.

If procurement processes are upfront with documented justifications I just don't have a problem. Abandoning Nepotism is abandoning the practice of giving family and associates work when they don't have merit, it's not cutting off family or associates simply because of your connection with them. As long as the operational responsibilities don't belong to the Mayor, I think it's manageable.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 PM

12,882 posts, read 19,600,032 times
Quote:

My sense is that her endorsement has nothing to do with race, but rather old alliances that developed over time...and when I say 'time', I mean in conjunction with a political fraternity that had its' inception in the Maynard Jackson era.
Please understand that there is no judgment in this assessment; however, my take is that Mary Norwood seems to be very much cast as the outsider here...which may be the basis for a great deal of her support.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 PM

775 posts, read 858,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZaakir View Post
I made a mistake in extrapolating the cuts over 8 years when they've happened over the last two. Touche. Unfortunately that almost 2 year old article disproves nothing in the City Hall report. As a matter of fact, all it does is show how drastic the Mayorís actions to deal with the budget problems have been. And it further calls into question how much more a new Mayor can do.

Furthermore, the article doesnít show the remarkable progress that CURRENT CFO Jim Glass - a former Bellsouth / AT&T CFO who came out of retirement to work for the city - has made in the last year. It doesn't show how that 70 million dollar deficit it referred to was neutralized by tighter fiscal controls and real-time financial data enabled by the recently implemented Oracle system. That same CFO who has turned the city's finances around has had some pretty strong words for Norwood's characterizations. I cited it before but it sounds like you missed it:
http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/media/councilmember%20ltr%20-%20final.pdf (broken link)

The department of Watershed Management just went through an audit related to their proposals for rate hikes which included a thorough review of their financials (http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2009/0504/19365267.pdf (broken link)) and the Airport puts out an audited annual report every year (http://www.atlanta-airport.com/docs/...ual_Report.pdf). There is plenty of data out there for people who want it. It might not be wrapped up in a nice bow but it is there.

I think you need to update your sources. A lot has happened in the two years since that article was released. Can you provide more up to date information to support your claims? Outside of "Mary said it?"

On your last point. If you tell a senior citizen that their government-supported Medicare is going to get cut they are going to get pissed, regardless of how bad keeping those benefits are going to be for the long term viability of the country. People are like that with government services in general Ė itís never good when you take them away or when they canít perceive the benefit. That doesnít mean the government is bad for doing so. At the end of the day thatís a matter of PR, not sound governing which is all about tough decisions that the average person might not like very much.
The point of the article was to illustrate that the budget and staff cuts had NOTHING to do with efficiency and everything to do with a huge deficit. Yes the mayor drastically cut the payroll AFTER the city ran out of money but don't expect any statues to be erected because of it.

I am delighted that Jim Glass is at city hall now but many of the changes he's made are very recent and he readily admits that fixing all of the city's "long-standing issues" will not be done by January. Its going to take years for the city to restore trust and it will be critical that the next mayor have a continued focus on city finances in their first year of office rather than their last.

Incidentally, that letter also cautioned to be skeptical of any claims that the city can significantly increase spending any time soon and argues against the idea of cutting the IT department both proposals by Reed.

Its interesting that you mention the Watershed Management audit which was not at all flattering of how the department is run.

Medicare?
You don't need obscure examples of why someone would be displeased with government. There are ample examples that actually involve this particular city government and BASIC city services.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:13 PM

479 posts, read 378,889 times
Quote:

Isnt that done all the time? Didnt blacks feel OJ was being unfairly targeted by whites because he is black? I remember watching the OJ verdict being read in a room full of work people. All the whites were dismayed at the result while the blacks Literally yelled with joy. But Im quite sure race had nothing to do with it.

Im saying NONE of the other contestants will endorse Norwood. NONE. But it will have nothing to do with race, right?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,671,403 times
Thumbs up Come on now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Isnt that done all the time? Didnt blacks feel OJ was being unfairly targeted by whites because he is black? I remember watching the OJ verdict being read in a room full of work people. All the whites were dismayed at the result while the blacks Literally yelled with joy. But Im quite sure race had nothing to do with it.

Im saying NONE of the other contestants will endorse Norwood. NONE. But it will have nothing to do with race, right?
Why is it that you people get on this comment thread insist that racism has something to do with Reed getting Border’s endorsement? To a critically thinking person, you all seem either very ignorant or very deceptive. There is no way you really believe this.

Is it somehow racist that Stephanie Rammage (white editor of the Sunday Paper) endorsed him? What about The WHITE editors at Creative Loafing’s endorsement? How do you explain these two weekly alternative newspapers endorsing Reed? Don’t let me forget the very white Jay Bookman at AJC’s endorsement.

Now since Borders is an elected official, let me not forget all the WHITE progressive elected officials that I and several others in this city (white and black) respect. Such leaders as; Jim Martin, Nan Orrock, Kathy Ashe, Pat Gardner, Karla Drenner and David Adelman. Now you tell me if they’re worng in their judgement or if they are somehow racially biased.

The fact of the matter is, there have been no respectable leaders (white or black) willing lo lend their support to Norwood and Reed has a diverse cross-section of supporters from all backgrounds. Mary Norwood is a weak candidate and not even the Northside, white city councilmembers will put their support behind her. That should tell you all something. This woman’s doesn’t have a clue and is not good for the city. I don’t know why so many of her supporters are making this about race.

I don’t like the comments of the CAU professors or those of Bunnie Ransom, but I have seen nothing that connects those things to Kasim Reed. In fact, the memo was meant to take support from him and I stated on an earlier post that the Bunnie Ransom’s of the world are the last of a dying breed. As a young progressive voter and entrepreneur, I’m putting my vote behind the candidate with the REAL record. Not a broken record that’s stuck on complaints about the current administration and full of excuses about why she couldn’t get anything done. Even Sarah Palin took charge and made things happen for Alaska. Mary Norwood has done absolutely nothing.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 11-11-2009 at 11:09 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,671,403 times
There is a very interesting component of this race that isn't getting much attention that I'd like to point out...

Many of the poorest Atlantans are firmly behind Norwood’s candidacy, many of whom are African American and live without internet access, seem to support Mary Norwood. I wish that the Atlanta media would do a story about the curious way that class affiliations and resentments within the African-American community are working in this year’s mayoral election.

This race is about a class system (within the black community): the black elite versus the poorest of the poor. They don’t believe that Atlanta’s black political elite have served them well the past 35+ years. Seems like many poor blacks feel like they have not benefited from 30 years of black leadership which points to Mary Norwood garnering 28% of the black vote. Stay tuned...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 PM

6,558 posts, read 6,891,269 times
Another endorsement coming for Kasim Reed from Roy Barnes tomorrow:

Roy Barnes follows suit, will endorse Kasim Reed | Political Insider

That'll be a great one-two punch if both Reed and Barnes are elected. Barnes already had a plan for regional rail in place and Reed supports more mass transit funding and building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta