Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for on December 1st?
Mary Norwood 72 73.47%
Kasim Reed 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Norwood endorsed by Community Actorvist "Able" Mable Thomas!

“Able” Mable pockets $1,500 from Norwood | Fresh Loaf

WTF? ‘Able’ Mable Thomas endorses Mary Norwood | Fresh Loaf (http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/10/22/wtf-able-mable-thomas-endorses-mary-norwood/ - broken link)
LOL love me my 'Able' Mable!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Norwood endorsed by Community Actorvist "Able" Mable Thomas!

“Able” Mable pockets $1,500 from Norwood | Fresh Loaf

WTF? ‘Able’ Mable Thomas endorses Mary Norwood | Fresh Loaf (http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/10/22/wtf-able-mable-thomas-endorses-mary-norwood/ - broken link)
Is Able legit?or is she just another loud mouth?I don't know a lot about her.BTW Happy Belated B-Day!!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
The Borders endorsement was not race-based, it was money based. Even Lisa has admitted that the only color she cares about is green. She wore all green on election day to emphasize this.

Borders endorsement of Reed just underscores the continuation of the corrupt Maynard Jackson machine. Borders knows she could not make any money from a Norwood administration, but she knows that if the machine continues through Reed, and she endorsed him, he will repay her through some kind of financial reimbursement.

And why do people assume that any black person who endorses Norwood was paid off? If I was black I would be insulted by this. Why does no one question whether Jim Martin was paid off?

I think a factor people are overlooking here is the gay vote. Norwood supports gay marriage. Reed supports "civil unions" but not gay marriage. Norwood's step-daughter is gay. If Norwood gets an endorsement from that gay group, it will definitely be more important than any endorsement Reed has gotten thus far.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZaakir View Post
Oh and finally, on the spending front. If you can find it, you should listen to the V-103 interview that Reed and Norwood did after the election. Reed asked about the disconnect between the CFOs comments and his proposals and he was very specific in how he would hire 700 police officers and pay to reopen the rec centers (his two spending proposals) without increasing the budget.

From what I remember, the math wasn't spectacular, but it was a complete answer.

To be clear I'm not terribly impressed by Reed. Everyone I know that has worked with him speaks highly of him but based on what I've read and the few minutes that I've talked to him I can't say that I'm excited about him - I just think he's a more logical choice than Norwood who I'm sure is a well-intentioned woman and should she win will have my full support..
Not only can he not pay for more police officers, but the Atlanta Police Academy cannot train the amount of officers he wants to hire in a four year period. They simply do not have the capacity.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM

172 posts, read 393,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Not only can he not pay for more police officers, but the Atlanta Police Academy cannot train the amount of officers he wants to hire in a four year period. They simply do not have the capacity.
Yeah 700 officers is a gigantic percentage of the force. I know a number of great guys that work for APD and they say that paying the existing officers what they should be earning according to their pay schedule would have the effect of hiring a significant number of officers. Increasing the department by X number of officers with middling pay probably won't do much for morale which is just barely rebounding from a 30-year low (according to a 30 year veteran).

Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Quote:

And why do people assume that any black person who endorses Norwood was paid off? If I was black I would be insulted by this. Why does no one question whether Jim Martin was paid off?

Well because the Community "Actorvist" Dave Walker (Who ran for city Council President) and former Rep. Able Mable Thomas are indeed paid by Norwood...read it for yourself...

Mary’s money to Able Mable and Dave Walker. Find it at pages 14 and 11 of her campaign disclosure.

City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/mc_disclosures_031009.aspx - broken link)

http://web.atlantaga.gov/eelections/...oodM102509.pdf

Once again why is that no elected official has come out to endorse Norwood?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Well because the Community "Actorvist" Dave Walker (Who ran for city Council President) and former Rep. Able Mable Thomas are indeed paid by Norwood...read it for yourself...

Mary’s money to Able Mable and Dave Walker. Find it at pages 14 and 11 of her campaign disclosure.

City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/mc_disclosures_031009.aspx - broken link)

http://web.atlantaga.gov/eelections/...oodM102509.pdf

Once again why is that no elected official has come out to endorse Norwood?

Well apparently Representatives Rashad Taylor and Stacey Abrams make $6,000 and $9,000 a month, respectively, working for Reed and Borders’ campaigns. How is that not ok?

Jim Martin and Roy Barnes are opportunisitic politicians. Barnes is running for governor in 2010. He wants/needs/has to have the black vote to win. Endrorsing Norwood would be political suicide for him.

And apparently Zell Miller, a Democrat, plans to endorse Norwood.

Either way, I dont think these endorsements will change the outcome. Do you think they will? Norwood got 46% of the vote. Turnout is expected to be between 10% and 15%. Reed is facing an uphill battle.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,978 times
Quote:
And apparently Zell Miller, a Democrat, plans to endorse Norwood.

Ugh really? Zell Miller is no Democrat. If he endorses Norwood I will have to think long and hard about voting for Reed.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Reed has fiscal responsibility? Right...

Video (http://www.wsbtv.com/video/21589571/index.html - broken link)

Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Reed has fiscal responsibility? Right...

Video (http://www.wsbtv.com/video/21589571/index.html - broken link)
In regards to the first 2 properties he gave valid and true statements that apparently was not his fault.The news crew did not dispute that.And as a minority investor/partner in a business venture,I dont think thats any indication of financial irresponsibility.Thats really stretching.

Much like this is stretching:
Video (http://www.wsbtv.com/video/21601165/ - broken link)

I mean it fair to see this and say is Mary gonna be an absentee Mayor?:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta