U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 27,207 times
Default Please Help! Safe intown area between CDC & Duluth?

My husband's job at NCR is being relocated to Duluth. I will be attending Georgia State University and will be working at the CDC in Atlanta. We have 2 small children that will be starting elementary school, so good schools are important to us. We always dreamed of living somewhere intown where we can walk to nice shops, restaurants and parks. We really need somewhere that is safe and does not have a real crime problem. We can only spend up to $325k.. preferably only $300k, but would certainly be willing to live in a townhome to get into the right area and school district. Neither of us want a commute over 40 minutes. Since we are out of state, this is all a bit overwhelming so any help you might be able to give me would be so appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by sccap; 11-04-2009 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM

12,097 posts, read 16,996,833 times
I would recommend the Tucker area...really the midpoint between your workplaces, easily within your price range, and home to a couple of good elementary schools (Livsey, Evansdale).

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,470,240 times
You can easily find a 3 (or even 4) bedroom detached home in the Laurel Ridge or Medlock Elementary districts (30033). A bit harder (but still do-able) is finding a 3 bedroom detached home in the Oak Grove, Fernbank or Sagamore Hills Elementary districts (30033, 30345). City of Decatur would probably meet your wants the best, but $325k is very much on the low end of the price range in that market so you'll get a lot more house if you're willing to go to the unincorporated areas of North Decatur. This is my part of town, feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Unread 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 27,207 times
Thank you for the suggestions.. I think I misspoke a little.. The location doesn't have to be between either location. We just wanted to keep those two commutes in mind. We really are just hoping to leave suberbia behind and live in the middle of everything. It would be so exciting to be within walking distance of everything.

Unread 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM

285 posts, read 471,450 times
You can probably find a townhome within walking distance of downtown Decatur for ~300k

Unread 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,470,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccap View Post
Thank you for the suggestions.. I think I misspoke a little.. The location doesn't have to be between either location. We just wanted to keep those two commutes in mind. We really are just hoping to leave suberbia behind and live in the middle of everything. It would be so exciting to be within walking distance of everything.
Then Decatur sounds perfect. Floyd242 is right, you should be able to find a townhome (and possibly a single family home) in Downtown Decatur that would give you access to Decatur's elementary schools; walking distance to shops, restaurants and parks; lots of activities (Decatur has great festivals); and a great commute for you (and not too bad for hubby).

The further intown you go (Va-Hi, Midtown), the less and less you'll get for your $325k and the worse your husband's commute will be, although that's still a possibility if you get lucky, if that's the type of vibe you're hoping for.

Unread 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM

72 posts, read 94,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccap View Post

One thing to keep in mind in Atlanta is that distance and traffic are not created equal....what i mean is that it is much easier to head north up 85 from intown towards Duluth (while every one else is heading south to down town for work) in the morning and back up in the afternoon than the other way around. The key to getting around Atlanta with out complete frustration is to be heading against traffic. So although it may seem "fair"to be in the middle of these locations it may make allot more sense to be closer to intown. Being intown though is more expensive than being in tucker or the burbs. Decatur is nice and has good schools but I find it is a little isolated due to the major roads into and out of decatur being limited. Decatur in my opinion is great as long as you will spend most of your time in decatur (also watch out because many in Atlanta use decatur loosely so it may say decatur but not really be in decatur).

As far as a great intown neighborhood with a great school morningside (k-5)would be my choice. You would be looking at the bottom of the market or possibly a town home (mostly single family homes in morningside though) at the 300 range. You may be able to find a fixer upper or a foreclosure in the 300's? Morningside elem school is great a tun of parents walk the kids to school each day and the school is tied in strongly to the community. The homes are mostly 50-100 years old in the tudor style with great access to 85/75/ and marta/and down town.

good luck........were are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta