Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhbs93 View Post
I miss NYC.
Your location says NYC, aren't you there already? Or is the location wishful thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
If you are wanting to move to Atlanta just because of lower priced housing, you are aware that the wages are substantially lower, too.

Have you thought of moving to Connecticut? There are towns around Danbury that are affordable and Danbury Hospital has a reputation for being very good to nurses. You are in commuting distance to NYC, White Plains, Stamford. I actually think that parts of Connecticut (not the Greenwhich/Darien/New Canaan area) are a lot like Atlanta.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 PM

304 posts, read 856,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Your location says NYC, aren't you there already? Or is the location wishful thinking?
I currently live in NYC. and I am planning/hoping to move to ATL

Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
NYC and Atlanta are pretty much opposites (good or bad depending on your viewpoint).
Really? Opposites? Opposites like say urban vs. rural? Sure about that? Or do you mean, opposites from within the category of large urban centers? Surely that's what you mean, right?

(I live in Atlanta and just recently returned from a trip to NYC and while there are certainly considerable differences, at the end of the day they're still big cities.)

Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 AM

Manhattan is a vibrant city filled with a vast variety of neighborhoods, very international (as witnessed by the huge parades nearly every week from nearly every country that spans Fifth Avenue for hours), as well as iconic attractions ranging from the Empire State Building, museums, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Wall Street.....

Therefore it is a constant buzz of activity. Atlanta is a city that sprawls and spending time downtown and midtown, you have just a small taste of Manhattan. However, you don't have to suffer the winter snows and windchills.

For example, Atlanta has the very beautiful and historic Fox Theater while New York has Times Square (complete with the naked cowboy) and probably 25 theaters along with many restaurants and places such as the wax museum, Hershey Chocolate and M & M Worlds.

They are very different places and each have their own positives and negatives. Some people thrive in and love one or the other.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM

304 posts, read 856,431 times
I agree...Also Manhattan is very walkable at any hours of the day...I think there is some limits with Atlanta. Manhattan never sleeps..
Quote:
Manhattan is a vibrant city filled with a vast variety of neighborhoods, very international (as witnessed by the huge parades nearly every week from nearly every country that spans Fifth Avenue for hours), as well as iconic attractions ranging from the Empire State Building, museums, the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Wall Street.....

Therefore it is a constant buzz of activity. Atlanta is a city that sprawls and spending time downtown and midtown, you have just a small taste of Manhattan. However, you don't have to suffer the winter snows and windchills.

For example, Atlanta has the very beautiful and historic Fox Theater while New York has Times Square (complete with the naked cowboy) and probably 25 theaters along with many restaurants and places such as the wax museum, Hershey Chocolate and M & M Worlds.

They are very different places and each have their own positives and negatives. Some people thrive in and love one or the other.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:

Well said. Though I think I'd compare the Fox Theater to Radio City. But one thing I noticed is that you referred to "Manhattan" in talking about New York, a common tendency which illustrates one of the problems you run into when comparing cities as different as Atlanta and NYC. Of course Manhattan is only one of the 5 boroughs, not to mention representing a fraction of the region of 20+ million, but let's face it it's still what we normally think about when we talk about "New York". Still that conflation causes some skewing of perspective (in my view, to do justice to Atlanta it's important to include much more than just the city limits of Atlanta, while in the case of New York it's perfectly possible to speak accurately about it and only take Manhattan into account).

One thing that generally makes comparing New York with any other city, not just Atlanta, problematic is that New York is the paradigm for all things urban in our age (despite inroads by London to some extent). So what that means is that in addition to being just a city like any other, NYC is also serves as an ideal for a city, in the best and worst senses. It's Gotham, the Emerald City, etc. So this causes all manner of confusion.

Atlanta obviously doesn't play any such role in a national context, although it does play an analogous role within the context of an otherwise rural state and to some extent in the context of the South at large (i.e. if we exclude Texas and Florida).

In my view cities are symbols as much as real entities (embodying people's dreams, resentments and hatreds, embodying the dreams of peoples, dreams of empire, etc.) and much of the confusion when talking about cities comes from failing to make clear which level is being discussed.

Last edited by WilliamM; 11-15-2009 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 09:13 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
I am an RN in NJ and my husband works for Verizon Communications, we are also thinking about moving to Atlanta. Right now Verizon is laying off people left and right so with that we are thinking it might be a good time to move. As a nurse I feel secure that i can find work anywhere, my only concern is that I have a 19 month old and I work as a school nurse right now. It seems unlikely I will find that down there and I do not want to go back to bedside care. I did see Grady paying 33.20/hr if you take a job without benefits, and a 3.00 shif diff id you do weekends, also offering 2k in relocation costs. I don't know much about grady or the other hospitals but check them out. I would love to do agency nursing but since i too would probably be the bread winner until my husband finds something I am nervous about taking such a leap of faith, maunly because we have a young daughter and would like ot have another child. Anyway, I would love to know how you make out with everything and best of luck !
Be aware that GA is facing a major budget shortfall. The education budget will take another big hit in January when an amended budget is released. I anticipate major teacher layoffs again, as well as up to 7 more unpaid furlough days for teachers (we already had 3). Also, in the latest round of budget cuts, there was talk of cutting school nurses all together. This proposal could come back in January 2010. I would not count on getting a school nurse position at all. The powers that be want to cut all school nurses statewide.

Grady is an urban hospital in downtown ATL. It has major budget problems and has been on the brink of shutting down for years. It is the only level 1 trauma center in the region. If you take a position at Grady, you will see it all, believe me. The majority of Grady's patients are uninsured. Many are gunshot wounds, etc in the ER. You get the picture.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 PM

I would be very reluctant to send a child to a school without a school nurse if the child has any health issues including food allergies, asthma, diabetes, seizure disorder or any other underlying condition. In my experience as a school nurse this is probably 10% of the school population. And that doesn't even take into consideration broken bones, wounds requiring stitches, kids falling and having head injuries/concussions. And all of the kids requiring their daily doses of Ritalin, Adderall, Respirdal. Are the teachers going to be responsible?

Old 11-15-2009, 02:09 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Before the nurses, it was the secretaries at most schools and I fear we could go back to that next year. Some schools get parent volunteers to man the clinics a few hours a day, but the secretaries still have to give out meds. The governor tried to cut the nurses last year (for this year) but there was a ton of push back. This year, a victory is far less certain.

Things are going to be very bleak next year for education in GA I am afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta