Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 04:43 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Agreed I do see threads that are to provoke you guys.

But honestly lets be real here. Most of the things said on Cd would not be said in person. Most are on this site to kill time, have nothing better to do, or are addicted(lol) in the first place. So if ppl are seeing that creating a thread is going to get a rise out of most and have like 1000 posts in it everytime...whats preventing these trolls from coming on here and continuing to troll? Nothing. I see alot of ignorant things on here (not just Atlanta but CD period) and 75% of it I dont even post in anymore. I read a few threads and reply to even fewer. I dont have time to argue with fools.....threads die quicker if ppl stop posting in them. JMO
Excellent response...you hit the nail on the head.

Some threads are intended to provoke, but for the most part they just draw responses. I rarely get upset or truly provoked about anything on city-data. The only thing preventing trolls is the work of moderators...if members report the trolling the moderators will take care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,629 times
Yes, I'm moving outta here when I get the chance to. This place is very weird.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAdvance View Post
Yes, I'm moving outta here when I get the chance to. This place is very weird.
As in out of this world weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic View Post
I am moving back in 18 months. I am trying to decide on MD,NJ or CT. I am simply a northerner who hasn't adjusted. I have been here 9 years and it was basically so my children could have a slower paced upbringing. The youngest are almost through high school and I am ecstatic to leave.

I was just in NYC a few weeks back and as I was preparing to catch my flight back to Atlanta I almost cried so to me that is a sign.

Luckily I am going back for Thanksgiving!
Fair enough, bring me back some turkey. . Seriously I can understand why you left NYC in the first place. Depending on what you are looking for, if you're going to be in a suburb away from NYC, the feel you'll have won't be too different from what are you are getting now (if living in a Metro Atlanta suburb). The only difference is proximity to NYC.

Quote:
MOst if not all that said they are returning to the NE already stated why. But besides the fact that it really doesnt matter since there wont be an agreement on the views/experiences anyhow.

Not specifically talking to you MisterNY............When first reading this thread I didnt take this as an "I hate Atlanta" thread so I dont know why or how its turned out to be that. The OP wants to know who is from the NE and of that group who is returning back to the NE. All the drama bickering and arguing isnt really needed.
Agreed, but some people weren't concise enough in their reasons/explanantions why they were leaving imho, of course. They just stated they wanted out. I respect that, but I'm just curious as to why some failed, why some didn't decide to duke it out, or why it wasn't worth it for them. I'm being curious. As you can see today, I've been on the forum for a bit.

(Taking a few (sick) days off, feeling under the weather..You get the idea ). Exchanging ideas here is better than watching the news right now. I'm waiting on Man vs Food in a few hours.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM

657 posts, read 1,498,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It happens in every city's threads on this site. Chicago, L.A., NYC, Miami, etc...they all get a few people who lurk around their threads and post undue criticism.

Some cities get more than others...but you can't blame the residents for the arguments. There are a lot of misconceptions about Atlanta and other cities, and some people are just determined to perpetuate them.
Civic pride was mentioned in another post on this thread. And people have a right to defend their city. But the highly defensive reactions from the Atlanta locals is a little bit over the top.

For instance on the Korean BBQ topic. A better response that could have diffused the tension would have probably read like: "Well, EBCK120 was right. Atlanta doesn't have Korean BBQ in the city. However, you can get it in Doraville, so the option is there. It's just not in the center city."

Instead everyone goes into overdrive and to outsiders it comes across that Atlanta is a little bit oversensitive. That is what perpetuates people's opinions.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:51 PM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Civic pride was mentioned in another post on this thread. And people have a right to defend their city. But the highly defensive reactions from the Atlanta locals is a little bit over the top.

For instance on the Korean BBQ topic. A better response that could have diffused the tension would have probably read like: "Well, EBCK120 was right. Atlanta doesn't have Korean BBQ in the city. However, you can get it in Doraville, so the option is there. It's just not in the center city."

Instead everyone goes into overdrive and to outsiders it comes across that Atlanta is a little bit oversensitive. That is what perpetuates people's opinions.
The newest complaint about Atlanta: "Gee, its' residents are sooo defensive."
Do you know how many brickbats get thrown at Atlanta on a daily basis? It's beyond ridiculous; twice I've seen mods come on the General US forums and ask posters to refrain from creating Atlanta threads because it gets so out of control. LOL like we don't have a reason to respond.
Oh, and BTW thank you for your generous contribution to the melee.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,346,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
As in out of this world weird?

Fair enough, bring me back some turkey. . Seriously I can understand why you left NYC in the first place. Depending on what you are looking for, if you're going to be in a suburb away from NYC, the feel you'll have won't be too different from what are you are getting now (if living in a Metro Atlanta suburb). The only difference is proximity to NYC.

Agreed, but some people weren't concise enough in their reasons/explanantions why they were leaving imho, of course. They just stated they wanted out. I respect that, but I'm just curious as to why some failed, why some didn't decide to duke it out, or why it wasn't worth it for them. I'm being curious. As you can see today, I've been on the forum for a bit.

(Taking a few (sick) days off, feeling under the weather..You get the idea ). Exchanging ideas here is better than watching the news right now. I'm waiting on Man vs Food in a few hours.

Understandable but I don’t see not liking or wanting to leave Atlanta as failing. I think we can all agree that its not for everyone (no city is). So attaching the word failure to a person wanting leave Atlanta isn’t a correct assessment. Failure is what you think of yourself not what others think of you. For me leaving isn’t a failure its just a change of course. I came, I saw, I conquered (what I needed to at least) and Im ready to go back home. Now I haven’t seen every nook and cranny of Atlanta I haven’t been to every restaurant or seen every site. But what I can say for sure is that something’s you just know. And I know that I would/will be much happier back in NY & currently working on my relocation back there. I feel like where ever you are in your life it’s because of ppl, places, and/or things whether good or bad. Change 1,2 or all 3 of those things and see how your life changes for the good or bad.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Understandable but I don’t see not liking or wanting to leave Atlanta as failing. I think we can all agree that its not for everyone (no city is). So attaching the word failure to a person wanting leave Atlanta isn’t a correct assessment. Failure is what you think of yourself not what others think of you. For me leaving isn’t a failure its just a change of course. I came, I saw, I conquered (what I needed to at least) and Im ready to go back home. Now I haven’t seen every nook and cranny of Atlanta I haven’t been to every restaurant or seen every site. But what I can say for sure is that something’s you just know. And I know that I would/will be much happier back in NY & currently working on my relocation back there. I feel like where ever you are in your life it’s because of ppl, places, and/or things whether good or bad. Change 1,2 or all 3 of those things and see how your life changes for the good or bad.
I agree completely, YBF...it is not a failure, but a matter of knowing yourself, your needs, wants and aspirations...in your case, Atlanta is not fulfilling these for you, but I don't hear you disparaging the city for it. You are simply accepting it and making plans to find a more fulfilling place for yourself.
It's called maturity, my friend...what a refreshing concept.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The newest complaint about Atlanta: "Gee, its' residents are sooo defensive."
Do you know how many brickbats get thrown at Atlanta on a daily basis? It's beyond ridiculous; twice I've seen mods come on the General US forums and ask posters to refrain from creating Atlanta threads because it gets so out of control. LOL like we don't have a reason to respond.
Oh, and BTW thank you for your generous contribution to the melee.
Fair enough. I've learned to temper my words on this forum (and I'm still trying) in order to get my points across more constructively. Brickbats do not win people over. But let me come clean here as to my motives:

First, I have to say this -- growing up in Atlanta as a teen in the 80s was fun. In fact I think Atlanta's famous suburban landscape meshed nicely with the American 80s mentality -- freeways, Reagan, low taxes, big hair, etc.

Moving back to Atlanta twenty years later in 2007 for work was not quite what I expected. I lived in Buckhead off E Paces Ferry. After living in DC for years prior and having visited major cities all over the world, I had come to expect cities to be "dense and intense." Hearing about the population growth in the Atlanta area, I expected things to be comparable to other cities. Little did I realize that most of the growth has been in the suburbs. (n.b. yes I do know that the city of Atlanta's population rose this decade)

I wasn't happy in Atlanta, so I got a job in a new industry in DC and moved back. The reason I stay on the Atlanta forums is that my parents, who had also moved back to Atlanta, are getting ready to retire. My siblings and I would like them to move back North to be closer to us and to my uncles and aunts. To be honest, I don't like what the Atlanta area has done to my parents' political beliefs. They just aren't as open-minded as they were when I was young. Due to the influence of their neighbors they watch Fox News and vote Republican now.

Can I blame Atlanta 100% for that change? In fairness, no. However, the political atmosphere throughout much of the Atlanta area (with the exception of midtown and L5P) is much more conservative than you find in other major cities. The underlying reason for that is geographical -- Atlanta is in Georgia which is the South. Politics overall are quite right-leaning. The majority of people they've met in Atlanta have turned out to hold different values than those with which my parents raised me and my siblings.

I read these forums to try and figure out what is going on in Atlanta that has so changed my parents. I forward them links to threads to show them that this is not the place for them.

So there you have it -- my motive is just to really get my parents "back". As corny and cheesy as that sounds.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

Why are you being so dramatic and ultra-critical? EVERYONE went into overdrive? I, for one, didn't even respond to the Korean BBQ comment. I think one or two people responded - and that is EVERYONE? And keep in mind that "outsiders" don't think the way you do. I've never encountered anyone away from city-data that thinks the way you and A COUPLE of other members think. It's very much over-the-top.

Exaggerate much?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why are you being so dramatic and ultra-critical? EVERYONE went into overdrive? I, for one, didn't even respond to the Korean BBQ comment. I think one or two people responded - and that is EVERYONE?

Exaggerate much?
Yeah, but look at how you responded just now -- are you not in overdrive? Be honest now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta