U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If I told you what my favorite episode was, you would think I was a really terrible person.
Nuh-uh...what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 PM

657 posts, read 907,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Do you think we haven't read your other posts? You're trying NOW - I can see that. But you haven't in the past, and not even within this thread. You know, your posts don't go away once they're read.
My posts are my posts. You now know why I posted them and why I feel the way I do.

Remember that you will attract more flies with honey. And your past posts are documented as well. I'm not the only person on here with whom you've disagreed. Perhaps a lot of the animosity toward Atlanta that you perceive is due to a perceived hostility coming from you?

Perception is reality. And like respect, it is also a two-way street. If people perceive that you're not being straight with them, then they will dish it right back. And what we get is this vicious cycle, which leads to that recent thread as to why the Atlanta forum has so many of these apocalyptic arguments.

Just food for thought.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 19,600,032 times
Quote:
Nuh-uh...what is it?
Cartman's Special Plan.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Cartman's Special Plan.
Hilarious! I love any episode about Cartman...he's just vile and I love him, but Butters is still my favorite.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 PM

2,588 posts, read 6,678,996 times
Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We moved from central NJ to Cherokee County two years ago, and wouldn't move back if you paid us to. The weather is marginally better, taxes are 1/3 of what they'd be in NJ, home prices are easily 1/2, and my job pays the same. My kids are in an excellent school- far better than the schools in the semi-affordable areas of NJ, and our neighborhood is much more community/family focused.
We find things the same way. As for winters, think 6 months of cold (heat on every day, all day). While there are other parts of the country with much more snowfall, any amount that requires use of a snow blower is too much. As for living in NYC; snow isn't an issue.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,706,667 times
Atlanta really became a major city with the 1996 Olympics, or maybe after the 1990 announcement. Before that it was a second tier city. You wlould never have heard Atlanta mentioned in the same sentence as Chicago, NYC, San Francisco. Now you do. It has moved up to first tier, but really in name only. Come back in another ten years. These types of transitions take time. People are expecting too much too soon.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 11-12-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 PM

483 posts, read 1,053,201 times
I'm not thinking of moving back more because I feel that I don't want to live in the area that was part of my life in the past - so that is a personal reason. But also, having gotten used to the sunbelt environment and climate, it would be difficult to move back to the northeast. I will move soon, when I'm finished here, and southern California seems like a natural progression ....

Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 PM

59 posts, read 74,200 times
Quote:
Oh no, please tell us how it is "up north". We never get to travel here in the South.

Yours is a common misconception of Atlanta. People move here and judge the city by the suburb they're living in, and it's just a little unfair. The established feel you're talking about is found ALL OVER the city of Atlanta, but I can't speak for your suburb...I live in the city, and if you would look in some of the 100+ year-old neighborhoods you might find it.

It's not a contest, but if you make controversial statements on city-data you can expect a response - every time.
Whatever dude, I don't have the energy to argue with you. You think what you want, I know what I know, 100+ years old is not that established in my eyes.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
Whatever dude, I don't have the energy to argue with you. You think what you want, I know what I know, 100+ years old is not that established in my eyes.
You're funny...so how long does it take for a neighborood to become established? 150 years? 200? More?

Don't condescend as if you're the only well-traveled person in Atlanta. I've been all over the U.S., including living part-time in Boston. I've also lived in Miami and London in addition to Atlanta. I'm not sheltered and I know a bit about the world.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 AM

1,595 posts, read 3,479,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhfrank View Post
We are originally from the metro Philadelphia area. We are looking to move back to the NE...hopefully PA but we will look at all options carefully. We moved here almost 14 years ago with my husbands job. My thoughts on why we want to move back: family, culture (sorry but I really dont think Atlanta has any) education...when you get to the meat of it! there are not many great colleges here....Hope scholarship or not it does not compare to PA. There are really only 3 above average colleges here...UGA, Tech and Emory...and then it drops off. We live in East Cobb and we want to raise our child with the idea that "diversity" is a great thing and all people are equal. We are Democrats in a school system of Republicans and coservatives...not the values we want to instill in our child. Its your choice whether to move here but the weather and politics dont compare to the NE where there is culture, diversity, skiing, Fall, the "shore" and great schools. Sorry if I offended anyone...we gave Atlanta a chance...never again.
I undertsand where you are coming from. However, in my opinion graduate school these days makes much more of an impact, I expect and anticipate my East Cobb kids will pursue education beyond college. I'd rather have our college savings around for that. And I think GA Tech is a fantastic school. I have taken classes at Kennesaw and though I was very skeptical at first...I did find the quality of instructors to be very good. If you are passionate about education and stay on top of your kids...the better colleges should be an option. We too are democrats. We discuss politics at home all the time. I'd like my kids to be able to chose their point of view when the time comes. My sisters grew up very blue and have both migrated sharply from the left. So I don't think they were impacted much by our environment (my grandfather was a famous democrat (politician). Our schools were very liberal minded.

I find most of the people here to be friendly and approachable. When I visit the Northeast though I still love it...it feels very crowded. I feel very sorry for my brother and his wife......a Verizon worker and a elementary school teacher. They can barely pay their rent, cannot afford a home and have no savings (college 401K or otherwise). What kind of a life is that? I think culture is out of their price range. I think if you have plenty of money and some to spare maybe the Northeast is a good place to live. When we lived there my husband worked extremely long hours and most weekends...expected and the norm. My three year old (at the time) asked once why Daddy didn't live with us. It was heart breaking. It's a little less NYC here and we actually have dinner together most evenings. In 5 1/2 years in NYC and three in NJ that NEVER happened.

So I love the shore, NYC and everything there is available. But I don't have any regrets about moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta