Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM

60 posts, read 304,890 times

Advertisements

I've been monitoring these boards for a few weeks now and read quite a bit of threads, both recent and from years ago. Most seem to be about people moving to Atlanta.

But, as someone from the Northeast who is planning to move to Atlanta, I was surprised to see some posts (in the thread "Relocating to Alpharetta,GA" by tanstaafl) where many from the Northeast were talking about moving back away from Atlanta.

So all you originally from the NE, are you planning to go back or do you think you made the right move to Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
We didn't really make the decision to move here, it's where the job was, BUT, no we won't go back north. We are originally from NJ, and while we enjoy visiting the area, we don't miss the snow or the taxes.

I doubt we will stay in GA once the kids graduate. The area we are in is heavily family-oriented, which currently fits our needs, but won't in a couple of years.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
I plan on moving back up to New England once I finish my Ph.D. at Georgia Tech. I have just never gotten really comfortable here in Atlanta, and I think areas in the Northeast are more my style. Plus, my family still resides up there.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
No.

Most of my family and friends are in Baltimore but I doubt I will. I don't miss the snow, high utilities cost and I doubt if I move back, I would ever be able to afford a house for what I could purchase here. Makes no sense.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:20 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No.

Most of my family and friends are in Baltimore but I doubt I will. I don't miss the snow, high utilities cost and I doubt if I move back, I would ever be able to afford a house for what I could purchase here. Makes no sense.
I'm not picking on just you, but I don't think people move from Baltimore to Atlanta because of the little snowfall and marginally colder winters up in Maryland. It is more likely the cost of living for some people. Even New Jersey winters are not that bad, it is more about the cost of living once again.

Now people from Central and Northern New England and upstate New York definitely have a reason to cite the winters as a reason for leaving .. .

Old 11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Im from NY and Ive been here a little over a year and I am planning to move back as soon as I can. I dont think Atlanta was the right move which is why I will correct the problem by going home.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,076 times
We moved here for a job from Massachusetts but are NJ/NYers originally. I don't think we will move back unless it is job required. We'd have to seriously downsize our home ...not a huge deal but then also our taxes would be triple or more then what we pay here. Also here our kids have an excellent shot at the Hope scholarship (if it is still around in 6 years or so). And lastly three years in the mountains of Western MA did me in on winter. Shorts are so comfortable and riding bikes in November is fabulous. I think its a good trade off for the things I miss (like Taylor ham).

Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
I moved here from NYC last year and am here for a project.....
I'm not going back to the northeast but I am looking into the Pacific Northwest - Seattle or San Francisco.

Also, most of the complaints seem to be about either weather or cost of living. I have no problem buying a condo in any of the Northeast cities so..... no biggie

Atlanta is in my opinion just not "urban" enough for me, I miss living without a car, having people from all over the world around me vs. just black or white (for the most part), and being able to order take out from restaurants representing so much of the world vs. alot of fast food and chain restaurants (for the most part).....

Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,190 times
We are originally from the metro Philadelphia area. We are looking to move back to the NE...hopefully PA but we will look at all options carefully. We moved here almost 14 years ago with my husbands job. My thoughts on why we want to move back: family, culture (sorry but I really dont think Atlanta has any) education...when you get to the meat of it! there are not many great colleges here....Hope scholarship or not it does not compare to PA. There are really only 3 above average colleges here...UGA, Tech and Emory...and then it drops off. We live in East Cobb and we want to raise our child with the idea that "diversity" is a great thing and all people are equal. We are Democrats in a school system of Republicans and coservatives...not the values we want to instill in our child. Its your choice whether to move here but the weather and politics dont compare to the NE where there is culture, diversity, skiing, Fall, the "shore" and great schools. Sorry if I offended anyone...we gave Atlanta a chance...never again.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I'm not picking on just you, but I don't think people move from Baltimore to Atlanta because of the little snowfall and marginally colder winters up in Maryland. It is more likely the cost of living for some people. Even New Jersey winters are not that bad, it is more about the cost of living once again.

Now people from Central and Northern New England and upstate New York definitely have a reason to cite the winters as a reason for leaving .. .
Minus the blizzards...I don't miss shovling after those storms..

Mostly, the COL is true. I may make more in MD but I'm still end up shelling it out one way or another...

I don't see myself back in the Old Line state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta