Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 PM

36 posts, read 147,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
How is Atlanta "oversold"? Discriminate?

I hope you're not one of those people who came here expecting this city to be the land of milk and honey. If so, you only sold yourself out.

1. Of course is different than any other city and that's the way we like it. We have no desire to be any other city no matter what anyone else thinks.

2. What kind of negative comments?

Southern hospitality? This isn't the country. This is the city. We aren't a bunch of hicks who don't know anything about the world. The culture is different here than mint juleped fantasy people from other places have, so people won't just rollover based on what comes out of your mouth.

Atlanta 'is' a city....which 'is' in the 'South'. I find a lot of people in the South very friendly....perhaps reflecting the typical(?) southern mannerism of some sort.... I don't know about you, but I have never heard the word 'Ma'm' as the regular part of everyday vocabulary....until I arrived in the South.

This, of course, does 'not' necessarily mean these friendly people 'like' you....or 'accept' you. They are just being friendly and nice....often by giving out friendly greetings and smiles. That's all. Regardless, people in the South seem to be 'hospitable'....at least on the surface for sure.... based on my experience... Nothing's wrong with being friendly...or appearing to be so.

What does that mean?

I can give some examples of 'escalating an issue' rather than minding one's own business....(or better yet 'communicating' directly to the source who you think is the source of the issue you are having)...from both black and white Southerners but 'mostly' females.... from my previous work situation/experience. It will be a very lengthy post to get into that, and besides I have no desire to chew over those incidents and it sure is not worth the the time to do so. You know what I mean...

I've worked /lived in 5 other non-southern states previously. Considering I've never had these type of experiences until I arrived in the South....makes me wonder if this has something to do with the South(?). I find it frustrating when people are not 'directly communicating' and go behind (and under sometimes) instead....while maintaining the smile on the surface (sometimes). I'm just not used to that.... These experiences make me wonder...'where is the authenticity...and openness....?' That's all.

p.s.: 'directly communicating' is NOT the same as being verbally (or physically) abusive, while one is emotionally charged or feeling defensive, so therefore exhibiting irrational tendencies or temporary insanity (=anger).

This to me is what is wrong with a lot young people today. Not only do they totally ignore what really happened in history, but instead of following in the footsteps of people like Rosa Parks or MLK, they'd rather get paid instead of standing up for their rights and for what is right.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but there are a lot of shy people in the world. Maybe they don't want to talk because they are afraid to, not because they think they are "perfect". Then again, I'm not really following the logic here so that's just my two cents. w

Ok, don't act like people don't ask those kinds of questions every where.

The 'ordinary'/ 'usual' friends/aquaintances of mine would 'not' ask these type of questions. In fact, very few people in the South have asked these type of questions to me. But I have heard one black female (from the South) asking everyone these type of questions: How much money do you make? How much did you pay for your house?, etc...

But this was the only time I've observed this sort of blatant questioning anywhere. It could well be this person's personality...since this same woman was verbally hostile as well as somewhat melo-dramatic,... and not a very good employee in general.

Once, i was just walking down the street in Queens and passed this girl on her cell phone. She just stopped and asked me "What are you?!" After a second of being puzzled I realized she was asking what my ethnicity was. No how rude is that?

My formal students asked me the same question all the time: "What are you...?"....with a puzzled look in their face. The majority of them were either Hispanic or Black students where predominant population was either Hispanic or Black. I don't see anything wrong with this type of question. They didn't know my ethnicity, so they wanted to know. That's all. It just gave us a good opportunity to study some culture they were not exposed to....until they met me.

If you don't like the way people speak to you, maybe you should change your social scene and not blame it all on an entire region.
I don't understand what you mean by this...? <....If you don't like the way people........entire region.>

-Osmanthus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:11 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmanthus View Post
I don't understand what you mean by this...? <....If you don't like the way people........entire region.>

-Osmanthus
The phrase "why do people in the south", as if everyone in the south is exactly the same

Old 12-04-2009, 11:15 PM

Post #61 was given in response to post #60.

I'm still new to the forum and apparently didn't do it right to show the post #60 in its entirety. Sorry.

-O

Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Got it!

-Osmanthus

Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It's obvious I'm not the biggest Fan of Atlanta. However I'm curious and you never know one can change his mind.

I'm wondering though what it is about Atlanta that gets threads closed or completely off topic. Why do people get so offense/defensive about Atlanta?

Is it the suburban thing?
the public transportation thing?
the culture thing?

(I've just noticed the 3 above being mentioned numerous times)

Let's share.....
I'd guess because it's #2 after Detroit. Not knowing what threads you are talking about specifically, I'd guess they quickly dissolve into two camps. The "Data and Facts" camp and the "Politically Correct" camp. Of course when you mention what the data *is*, you run the risk of being labeled racist or bigoted... then the thread gets closed.

25 Most Dangerous Cities 2009:

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Let's test shall we?

The reason Atlanta sux is because it's a crime ridden, largely black city...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM

105 posts, read 353,466 times
1) America is the capital of American crime innovation. When Atlantans aren't baking puppies, running a grow house, having an old fashioned beat down, ripping off jewelers by walking brazenly into your local mall with shotguns, or stealing blue-jeans from a high end boutique, they are ripping an ATM out of a bank drive through with a back hoe or just engaging in plain old fashioned murder. Watch the news. If it's a heinous crime, it's in Atlanta.

2) If it's in Atlanta and you are in Atlanta, crime is where you live. You cannot escape crime in Atlanta. Downtown is New Jack City. The perimeter could be the set of "The Shield." And, if you drive an hour an a half out, well, you are in "Deliverance" country. You really have to watch your back in Atlanta.

3) Traffic. Atlanta hasn't figured out mass transit. They don't have express buses that go directly to major employers. They don't have subway stops right at the Stadium. If you've got someplace to be, mass transit won't get you there AND your car won't either because the place gets gridlocked.

4) Employers. If an Atlanta employer can find someone from India to do your job, they will. There are some prestigious employers in Atlanta. Unfortunately, they love to outsource, re-organize, and lay people off before they get vested.

5) Culture. If you want culture in Atlanta, it won't come cheap. You've got to pay for it. Compared to other cities, there isn't much in Atlanta for free. Plus, you have to drive and get through the traffic to get to culture. It's easy for TV to win.

6) Race. A lot of bad things happened in this country from 20 to 250 years ago and they are all still remembered and kept very fresh in Atlanta. Black people resent Jim Crowe. White people resent getting their car or apartment burgled. Middle class people are home locked safely in their houses watching TV by dark.

That being said, Atlanta is an exciting an interesting city and there are a lot of stores and convenient amenities. You might love it and hate it all at the same time.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatl View Post
"...quite tepid..." Au contraire, my friend. For starters:
the "black mayor only" agenda delivered by academia; "If we don't (elect a black mayor) we will lose all the progress we made the last 35 years.."; add the racist remarks made by the daughter of Maynard Jackson. Add to that the racist remarks made the outgoing mayor bad mouthing the white candidate. Unbelievable! The black leadership in this city is running sacred cause a rich white lady from Buckhead might be elected mayor and many whites have moved into the city. The point though is black racism is alive is the ATL and that saddens me as I thought since we elected the first black president, we would be able to move forward in this city. But political power is at stake here and not the interest of moving this city forward and is being fought for with no holes barred as we are seeing in Atlanta. And for what it is worth I live in a transitional neighborhood = affordable, black, high crime. That is another thread so I won't go on. I still love the ATL but I have my doubts sometimes...how's the Big D in the fall?
You can look at it any way you like,but in this country people always see more negative than positive.
A)Mary Norwood cannot get elected without a sizable amount of the black vote.She has had around 20-35 percent support of black voters at least.
b)I never heard Shirley Franklin ever say ANYTHING racist.Please show me if you know of ssomething.
c)Why would it be racist for someone to be concerned that a race of people that suffered several hundreds years of truly racist rule as a matter of "LAW" would not be concerned that in less than 40 years(when many of those who are still alive today, enforced such racist rules as Jim Crow and Lynchings),that those who remember personally the "freedoms" that people of color enjoy today,can see it becoming reality again?Racist?Maybe ill advised and ill informed ,but definitely not racist

D)Beleive it or not Atlanta is probably better off as far a race relations go than most cities.

New York Cityavid Dinkins,Rudy Giuliani both had all types of things said and written about racism involving media and policies.

Philadelphia:Ask many blacks about how they felt about FranK Rizzo.

Washington D.C.-Do we really need to go there?

Chicago-The Daileys and when Harold Washington was in power.Even today,many blacks have reservations about the Mayor.Especially concerning raced issues,

Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
1) America is the capital of American crime innovation. When Atlantans aren't baking puppies, running a grow house, having an old fashioned beat down, ripping off jewelers by walking brazenly into your local mall with shotguns, or stealing blue-jeans from a high end boutique, they are ripping an ATM out of a bank drive through with a back hoe or just engaging in plain old fashioned murder. Watch the news. If it's a heinous crime, it's in Atlanta.
Please tell me what large city do any of these things do not happen?

2) If it's in Atlanta and you are in Atlanta, crime is where you live. You cannot escape crime in Atlanta. Downtown is New Jack City. The perimeter could be the set of "The Shield." And, if you drive an hour an a half out, well, you are in "Deliverance" country. You really have to watch your back in Atlanta.
I live downtown for 4 years.Never been broken into,robbed or shot at.

3) Traffic. Atlanta hasn't figured out mass transit. They don't have express buses that go directly to major employers. They don't have subway stops right at the Stadium. If you've got someplace to be, mass transit won't get you there AND your car won't either because the place gets gridlocked.

What cities in the U.S. other than the older Northeastern cities have "figured out mass transit"? Obviously you have never walked more than3/4 of a mile to the "Stadium"(I guess you mean Turner Field)from Georgia State Marta Station.Don''t forgot on the many shuttles.Nor have you rode Marta straight into the Dome or even into the Airport.

I also suppose you never rode Marta to Marietta in the North,or rode the GRTA buses from Mcdonough into downtown like my friend who is a warrant officer for Fulton cOUNTY.

4) Employers. If an Atlanta employer can find someone from India to do your job, they will. There are some prestigious employers in Atlanta. Unfortunately, they love to outsource, re-organize, and lay people off before they get vested.EVERYWHERE IN AMERICA!

5) Culture. If you want culture in Atlanta, it won't come cheap. You've got to pay for it. Compared to other cities, there isn't much in Atlanta for free. Plus, you have to drive and get through the traffic to get to culture. It's easy for TV to win.

SILLY JUST SILLY:Let help you.
The High Museum
Fulton Free Saturdays
Walk-up admission is free for Fulton County residents on the first Saturday of each month. me help you out

Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site - Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service) free9with a rail station nearby)

Margaret Mitchell - Home

Michael C. Carlos Museum-FREE DAYS during special exhibition
Scripture for the Eyes: Bible the Sixteenth Century
Free Fridays: November 6, December 4, and January 8 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Wonderful Wednesday: December 30 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m

6) Race. A lot of bad things happened in this country from 20 to 250 years ago and they are all still remembered and kept very fresh in Atlanta. Black people resent Jim Crowe. White people resent getting their car or apartment burgled. Middle class people are home locked safely in their houses watching TV by dark.[COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"][COLOR="rgb(154, 205, 50)"]Black people get their car and apartments burgled too.[/color][/color]

That being said, Atlanta is an exciting an interesting city and there are a lot of stores and convenient amenities. You might love it and hate it all at the same time.
Possibly so,but lets be fair either way.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I never heard Shirley Franklin ever say ANYTHING racist.Please show me if you know of something.
She's smart enough not to actually say anything, but complicity is another matter.

Transcript of the Radio Ad Run By Chairman-Elect John Eaves

"This is Congressman John Lewis."
"And I'm Mayor Shirley Franklin."
"And I'm Andy Young."

Lewis: "On November 7th, we face the most dangerous situation we ever have. If you think fighting off dogs and water hoses in the 60's was bad, imagine if we sit idly by and let the right-wing Republicans take control of the Fulton County Commission."

Franklin: "The efforts of Martin and Coretta King, Hosea Williams, Maynard Jackson and many others will be lost. That's why we must stand up and vote for the Democrats on Election Day."

Young: "And especially for John Eaves for Fulton County Commission Chairman. Unless you want to turn back the clock on equal rights, human rights and economic opportunity for all of us, vote for John Eaves as Fulton County Chairman."

Lewis: "Your very life may depend on it."

Eaves: "This ad paid for by the Committee to Elect John Eaves."

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I'd guess because it's #2 after Detroit. Not knowing what threads you are talking about specifically, I'd guess they quickly dissolve into two camps. The "Data and Facts" camp and the "Politically Correct" camp. Of course when you mention what the data *is*, you run the risk of being labeled racist or bigoted... then the thread gets closed.

25 Most Dangerous Cities 2009:

Rankings by Population Group

Most Dangerous 25:.......%AA Largest Segment?
1...Detroit, Mich.............81.6............Y
2...Atlanta, Ga...............61.4............Y
3...St. Louis, Mo.............51.2............Y
4...Flint, Mich.................53.3............Y
5...Camden, N.J..............53.3............Y
6...Gary, Ind..................84.0............Y
7...West Palm Beach, FL..36.2............N
8...Compton, Calif...........40.3............N
9...Tampa, FL................26.1.............N
10..Washington, D.C.......55.6.............Y
11..Jackson, Miss...........70.6.............Y
12..Newark, N.J.............53.5.............Y
13..Kansas City, MO.......31.2.............Y
14..Miami-Dade, FL........17.5..............N
15..New Orleans, La.......67.3..............Y
16..Memphis, Tenn.........61.4.............Y
17..Orlando, Fla.............26.9.............N
18..Dayton, OH..............43.1............N
19..Richmond, VA...........52.3............Y
20..Dallas, TX................23.2............N
21..Philadelphia, Pa.........43.2............Y
22..Youngstown, Ohio......43.8...........N
23..Cleveland, OH...........54.2............Y
24..Oakland, Calif...........35.7.............Y
25..Minneapolis, MN........18.0.............N

Let's test shall we?

The reason Atlanta sux is because it's a crime ridden, largely black city...
Crime is certainly a problem in the city but much improved from the 1999 data you posted. Based on your logic, bashing of Atlanta should have decreased significantly to reflect 18th crime ranking in 2009.

2009 crime rankings

Last edited by J2rescue; 12-05-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta