U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:23 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,551,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I agree that Atlanta should go back to the more liberal rules that were in place a few years ago...but let's keep this in perspective. Most cities have last call at 2 am or even earlier - Boston is 1 am. Someone already mentioned the little handful of cities that have 24 liquor licenses, but the rest of American cities are more conservative than Atlanta.
Tru BUT Boston isnt a threat to Atlanta. The cities (New Orleans, Mia, Nyc, Vegas, etc) that have later last calls are in direct competition with Atlanta for conventions,etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:38 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,749,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Tru BUT Boston isnt a threat to Atlanta. The cities (New Orleans, Mia, Nyc, Vegas, etc) that have later last calls are in direct competition with Atlanta for conventions,etc
"A threat to Atlanta" wasn't the reason for the statement I was responding to. Someone said that people who visit Atlanta think that the city closes down too early...and some people act like Atlanta is in the dark ages on this issue, when it is still more liberal than 95% of the U.S.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
986 posts, read 2,669,813 times
Metropolitan cities all over the world have a thriving nightlife. The problem is not the bars or clubs but the lack of public safety officers and the lack of EXCEPTIONALLY trained public safety officers.

Why would anyone be walking a dog and/or children between 10 pm and 4 am? Furthermore, if you want the suburban lifestyle--MOVE TO THE SUBURBS.

One thing that results from a thriving nightlife within a city that has a great public safety plan/system is REVENUE. What's most important--walking your dog(s) and/or kids on city streets at 4 am or a city generating much needed revenue and much needed tourism dollars which helps repair roads, repair public works issues, etc.?? A city (not a town or hamlet) without a nightlife in this society becomes dead and broke--dead broke.

The bigger issue here is fear--people are afraid that increased nightlife will bring larger numbers of "other" people back into the areas they once lived. It's the same with MARTA--people have been opposed to MARTA expanding the transit rail lines to other areas for years but complain that Atlanta's rail system is less than adequate.

Unfortunately crime is rampant, regardless, and as we see these days, the horrible fact is most crime occurs during daylight hours whether you're mowing your lawn or off to work or walking your dog. The nightlife is not the issue, it's lack of public safety and no enforced truancy code for these teens committing these invasions, crimes, etc especially when they should be in school.

Just my .02

Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Metropolitan cities all over the world have a thriving nightlife. The problem is not the bars or clubs but the lack of public safety officers and the lack of EXCEPTIONALLY trained public safety officers.

Why would anyone be walking a dog and/or children between 10 pm and 4 am? Furthermore, if you want the suburban lifestyle--MOVE TO THE SUBURBS.

One thing that results from a thriving nightlife within a city that has a great public safety plan/system is REVENUE. What's most important--walking your dog(s) and/or kids on city streets at 4 am or a city generating much needed revenue and much needed tourism dollars which helps repair roads, repair public works issues, etc.?? A city (not a town or hamlet) without a nightlife in this society becomes dead and broke--dead broke.

The bigger issue here is fear--people are afraid that increased nightlife will bring larger numbers of "other" people back into the areas they once lived. It's the same with MARTA--people have been opposed to MARTA expanding the transit rail lines to other areas for years but complain that Atlanta's rail system is less than adequate.

Unfortunately crime is rampant, regardless, and as we see these days, the horrible fact is most crime occurs during daylight hours whether you're mowing your lawn or off to work or walking your dog. The nightlife is not the issue, it's lack of public safety and no enforced truancy code for these teens committing these invasions, crimes, etc especially when they should be in school.

Just my .02

Some very good points...two things:

1. Someone might be walking a dog at 4 am if he has to go to work at 5 am.

2. I have seen definite signs of less opposition to MARTA expansion over the past few years.

I agree that a lot of Atlanta residents don't have much confidence in police protection...and many people are afraid of nightclubs opening nearby - and rightly so in some cases because of unbearable traffic and noice. Nightclubs belong in certain areas, and not anywhere near single-family homes.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Agreed DeaconJ, That's why I think Atlanta should definitely look into 24/7 Districts which would include but not be limited to: West Midtown/Westside, Castleberry Hill/Downtown Atlanta/Old 4th Ward, Underground Atlanta/Luckie Marietta District.

I think Midtown/Buckhead/VaHi should remain with the 2:30am closing times If they so desire since the large residential component would obviously come into play.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,062,110 times
As long as there are underground spots to where you can drink and party 24/7 7 days a week I could care less. I dont really go to clubs but I can buy drinks anytime anyday I want. And dont ask... underground spots are underground for a reason.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Okkkkk I'm reloaded Honesty Box Time People ...

Seriously, Atlanta has become a boring town. I can’t even call it a thriving/active city anymore. It’s not just the lack of a 4am bar closing time. It’s because so many conservative people moved into Atlanta after the Olympics wanting a city lifestyle.

Many of them wanted to be close to work, too. All of this is fine. But what they brought with them was a suburban view of life. Collectively this new set of Atlantans forced new bar closing hours; forced many gay bars and primarily black bars to close; forced the great 24/7 bars down; made Piedmont Park a sterile museum-like place; forced the bohemian artist mentality out of midtown, Virginia-Highland, and L5P. Atlanta has lost its funkiness, its quirkiness, its soul.

Reinstating a 4am bar closing time would be great. But we need cool clubs again. We need a Backstreet, we need a Rio, a Celebrity Club, a Buckhead bar scene that was fun and the envy of many cities. We need an art scene again to coexist with the bar scene.

There is plenty of warehouse space downtown or on the west side that is not near any residential neighborhoods that could house a 24 hour bar. There are plenty of people in this city with great ideas. If the restrictive ordinances went away, life would return to this city. I don’t hold out much hope.

I can’t explain one more time to visitors as to why they can’t buy wine or vodka at a store on Sunday. It’s just embarrassing. I also can’t explain to my NYC, SF, or LA friends why a club like Vision has such hostility against from residents who oppose its reopening. It is steeped in racism and the fact that a large part of Atlanta wants to tell others to live a conservative lifestyle. Many want everyone to be in bed by 11pm and in church on Sunday. Until this is resolved, Atlanta will remain a 2nd tier town. Sad but True .

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 11-17-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 03:59 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,304,399 times
Atlanta is not a second tier town. Wow if you need to be open til 4am to be first tier then most U.S. cities are not 1st tier. How is Piedmont like a sterile museum?

Cities all across the county have people who want everything to shut down early, its not racism and its not just Atlanta. I am all for more arts and would love to see it but I see Atlanta as far from boring unless you are not looking. There is always something to do no matter what your interest are. The city bashing sure is interesting though.

Quote:
My honesty box on this issue:

Atlanta has become a boring town. I canít even call it a city anymore. Itís not just the lack of a 4am bar closing time. Itís because so many conservative people moved into Atlanta after the Olympics wanting a city lifestyle.

Many of them wanted to be close to work, too. All of this is fine. But what they brought with them was a suburban view of life. Collectively this new set of Atlantans forced new bar closing hours; forced many gay bars and primarily black bars to close; forced the great 24/7 bars down; made Piedmont Park a sterile museum-like place; forced the bohemian artist mentality out of midtown, Virginia-Highland, and L5P. Atlanta has lost its funkiness, its quirkiness, its soul.

Reinstating a 4am bar closing time would be great. But we need cool clubs again. We need a Backstreet, we need a Rio, a Celebrity Club, a Buckhead bar scene that was fun and the envy of many cities. We need an art scene again to coexist with the bar scene.

There is plenty of warehouse space downtown or on the west side that is not near any residential neighborhoods that could house a 24 hour bar. There are plenty of people in this city with great ideas. If the restrictive ordinances went away, life would return to this city. I donít hold out much hope.

I canít explain one more time to visitors as to why they canít buy wine or vodka at a store on Sunday. Itís just embarrassing. I also canít explain to my NYC, SF, or LA friends why a club like Vision has such hostility against from residents who oppose its reopening. It is steeped in racism and the fact that a large part of Atlanta wants to tell others to live a conservative lifestyle. Many want everyone to be in bed by 11pm and in church on Sunday. Until this is resolved, Atlanta will remain a 2nd tier town. Sad but True .

Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM

2,133 posts, read 4,057,265 times
Quote:
My honesty box on this issue:

Atlanta has become a boring town. I canít even call it a city anymore. Itís not just the lack of a 4am bar closing time. Itís because so many conservative people moved into Atlanta after the Olympics wanting a city lifestyle.

There is plenty of warehouse space downtown or on the west side that is not near any residential neighborhoods that could house a 24 hour bar. There are plenty of people in this city with great ideas. If the restrictive ordinances went away, life would return to this city. I donít hold out much hope.

I canít explain one more time to visitors as to why they canít buy wine or vodka at a store on Sunday. Itís just embarrassing. I also canít explain to my NYC, SF, or LA friends why a club like Vision has such hostility against from residents who oppose its reopening. It is steeped in racism and the fact that a large part of Atlanta wants to tell others to live a conservative lifestyle. Many want everyone to be in bed by 11pm and in church on Sunday. Until this is resolved, Atlanta will remain a 2nd tier town. Sad but True .
Quote:

Just my .02
Two excellent posts!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 PM

As far as competition from Vegas/New Orleans/Miami, etc...Atlanta still has enough skin bars to attract the most prestigious and largest conventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta