Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,736,756 times

Advertisements

Truth hurts, baby. Great place to raise a family. Wouldn't want to visit here. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
I remember for our Senior trip; we were going to take a trip to Orlando and Atlanta. Lots of people just wanted to cancel out Orlando and go to Atlanta (I was one of them; seriously, Disney World VS. Beautiful Georgia Peaches???).

Old 03-13-2010, 01:51 PM

95 posts, read 253,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
As a tourist, there's almost nothing that you will do while visiting Atlanta that you couldn't do in other large cities. ON the other hand, in most other large cities there are numerous things you can do that you cannot do in Atlanta.
Where else can you: 1) Shoot the hooch 2) Ride along a bikeway into another state 3) Go to the Masters golf 4) Visit Stone Mountain 5) See the worlds biggest acquarium 6) Travel from the worlds busiest airport.

Seems you got your facts all mixed up.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Absolutely live in the city and avoid the highways....that's what I've done and it makes me love Atlanta even more.
We found it relatively easy to live just OTP and avoid highways, but we did the whole "live close to where you work" thing.

The only time we drive on an interstate is when we're going to an event in some other part of the metro, and those tend to be in the evenings or on weekends. Though I will sometimes to a short hop on 285->75 to get to someplace in Marietta or Kennesaw more quickly.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicdebt View Post
Where else can you: 1) Shoot the hooch 2) Ride along a bikeway into another state 3) Go to the Masters golf 4) Visit Stone Mountain 5) See the worlds biggest acquarium 6) Travel from the worlds busiest airport.

Seems you got your facts all mixed up.
Hardly.

1. Almost all cities have water based activities. Atlanta, in fact, is very weak in that area compared to other cities of a comparable size.

2. I'm not aware of a bikeway IN Atlanta that reaches another state. Please link it.

3. The Masters are in Augusta, NOT Atlanta.

4. Stone Mountain is great. I go there with my dog every weekend, weather permitting. I'll give you that one.

5. Many aquariums around the country are as good as ours. Monterey Bay, for instance. Bigger does not equal better.

6. Atlanta airport is one of the least customer friendy airports I've ever been to. As a tourist, there are numerous things that make smaller airports more pleasant than larger ones.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
2. I'm not aware of a bikeway IN Atlanta that reaches another state. Please link it.
The Silver Comet Trail does, but the eastern end of the trail is located in southern Smyrna at the corner of South Cobb and the E/W Connector in Cobb County, a point which is maybe 4 or 5 miles from the Cobb/Fulton border.

The City of Smyrna has created its own bike trail to the eastern end of the Silver Comet and extended it to the Cumberland Mall, and perhaps beyond, and that's less than two miles from the Fulton border, but it still isn't in the City of Atlanta. It is, however, ITP.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Truth hurts, baby. Great place to raise a family. Wouldn't want to visit here. Ever.
Hmmm...I would like to revise my earlier opinion of Atlanta and the Atlanta area, which was largely in agreement with this statement, though I wouldn't say I would NEVER visit here.

After traveling throughout Africa and Asia for work, and visiting friends in other states, I think Atlanta is a FINE place to visit. I've been to so many places I never would have thought to visit and really appreciated and enjoyed myself because of one key thing.

The key is to come here to visit someone you know. Someone who can expose you to all the wonderful things people live here get to experience.

Or, come here for a specific event.

I mean, if you just decide to come here and stay downtown you will get bored pretty quick. There's just not enough sexy tourist stuff to do. And that stuff kitschy anyway. Blah.

But, let's say you're my old friend from college. You call me up and say, "Hey, Jen, I'm going to be in Atlanta for a conference in three weeks and I thought I'd make a mini-vacation out of it...conference ends on Thursday and I'm staying through Sunday. Let's hang out."

And then you'd come, go to your conference which is likely downtown. You'd eat out at some popular downtown spots, etc. And get your downtown exposure. Then Thursday afternoon you'd come to my house.

It's 3 weeks from now so it's 73F outside and sunny. You get to my house and we walk down to Fellini's and order a pizza and a pitcher of 420 and just sit on the patio, people watch, and catch up on old times.

Friday I took the day off from work because you're here. We first go get breakfast at The Flying Biscuit (walk there of course) because Friday mornings you can get a seat fast. On Saturday we'll go to Radial Cafe.

After breakfast we get on MARTA and go to Decatur and walk around the square. Go into a few shops. Eat lunch at Cafe Lily.

We go back to my house, get into some shorts and running shoes, and go for a short jog on PATH through Freedom Park and I take you on a running tour of Inman Park. We stop often to walk or check out someone's garden. We end our run by The Albert where we stop in for a beer before walking back to my house.

It's Friday so we're going to dress up. Then we're going for dinner at Rathburns. After that, we go for drinks at 97 Estoria. Around 11:30-midnight I take you to The Clermont Lounge because you HAVE to go there. We drink $2 PBR until we shut the place down.

Saturday we get up late, go eat at Radial, unless you want me to cook. Because it's gorgeous we could just eat homemade omelettes on my front porch and people watch.

Once we're feeling like moving we get in the car and go down to Sweetwater State Park and hike all the trails, about 6 miles total. We come back to my house, clean up, and walk down to Fox Bros BBQ for an early dinner. You have the chopped brisquette, I have the pulled pork. We share an order of fried jalapenos and fried pickles. After walking back to my house under a moonlit evening, we sit out on my porch with a bottle of wine, a baguette, and some artichoke dip that we picked up earlier from The Mercantile. We talk into the night.

Sunday you sleep in. I fix you breakfast and coffee, and since your flight doesn't leave until 5pm we walk down to Little 5 Points to check out the shops. You get a pair of shoes at Abbadabbas and custom-made t-shirt from Bang-On. We grab a burger at the Vortex and walk back to my place. Then I walk you to MARTA, give you a hug, and send you home.

I hope you come back and visit soon because I have so much more we can do.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,420,764 times
Jen, after such good time, not only would I be moving to Atlanta, but I would propose to you, before getting back on that plane (just before I get my stuff boxed and shipped to Atlanta).

Such sweet post. I love the breakfast part. You had me, there.

$2 Beers. You have to tell me where...

Also, please leave the info for, Fox Bros BBq.

Quote:
Hmmm...I would like to revise my earlier opinion of Atlanta and the Atlanta area, which was largely in agreement with this statement, though I wouldn't say I would NEVER visit here.

After traveling throughout Africa and Asia for work, and visiting friends in other states, I think Atlanta is a FINE place to visit. I've been to so many places I never would have thought to visit and really appreciated and enjoyed myself because of one key thing.

The key is to come here to visit someone you know. Someone who can expose you to all the wonderful things people live here get to experience.

I mean, if you just decide to come here and stay downtown you will get bored pretty quick. There's just not enough sexy tourist stuff to do. And that stuff kitschy anyway. Blah.

But, let's say you're my old friend from college. You call me up and say, "Hey, Jen, I'm going to be in Atlanta for a conference in three weeks and I thought I'd make a mini-vacation out of it...conference ends on Thursday and I'm staying through Sunday. Let's hang out."

And then you'd come, go to your conference which is likely downtown. You'd eat out at some popular downtown spots, etc. And get your downtown exposure. Then Thursday afternoon you'd come to my house.

It's 3 weeks from now so it's 73F outside and sunny. You get to my house and we walk down to Fellini's and order a pizza and a pitcher of 420 and just sit on the patio, people watch, and catch up on old times.

Friday I took the day off from work because you're here. We first go get breakfast at The Flying Biscuit (walk there of course) because Friday mornings you can get a seat fast. On Saturday we'll go to Radial Cafe.

After breakfast we get on MARTA and go to Decatur and walk around the square. Go into a few shops. Eat lunch at Cafe Lily.

We go back to my house, get into some shorts and running shoes, and go for a short jog on PATH through Freedom Park and I take you on a running tour of Inman Park. We stop often to walk or check out someone's garden. We end our run by The Albert where we stop in for a beer before walking back to my house.

It's Friday so we're going to dress up. Then we're going for dinner at Rathburns. After that, we go for drinks at 97 Estoria. Around 11:30-midnight I take you to The Clermont Lounge because you HAVE to go there. We drink $2 PBR until we shut the place down.

Saturday we get up late, go eat at Radial, unless you want me to cook. Because it's gorgeous we could just eat homemade omelettes on my front porch and people watch.

Once we're feeling like moving we get in the car and go down to Sweetwater State Park and hike all the trails, about 6 miles total. We come back to my house, clean up, and walk down to Fox Bros BBQ for an early dinner. You have the chopped brisquette, I have the pulled pork. We share an order of fried jalapenos and fried pickles. After walking back to my house under a moonlit evening, we sit out on my porch with a bottle of wine, a baguette, and some artichoke dip that we picked up earlier from The Mercantile. We talk into the night.

Sunday you sleep in. I fix you breakfast and coffee, and since your flight doesn't leave until 5pm we walk down to Little 5 Points to check out the shops. You get a pair of shoes at Abbadabbas and custom-made t-shirt from Bang-On. We grab a burger at the Vortex and walk back to my place. Then I walk you to MARTA, give you a hug, and send you home.

Last edited by MisterNY; 03-16-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,189 times
Ha ha! The whole time I was writing that I was thinking of my old friend Jill...so I was thinking a girls weekend! But okay, an old guy friend can come for the same visit.

But, I'm already married (12 years now), so the reality of that weekend would be the whole family would be involved. If you had a family and brought them just about the whole weekend would still work, except for The Clermont Lounge (home of those $2 PBRs!).

Hey, for $1 PBR and $1 fish tacos next time you visit we'll spend all Sunday from about 2pm on at Hand-In-Hand in Virginia-Highland, playing pool, and then stumble home. HAND IN HAND PUB

Fox Brothers BBQ - #1 Rated Atlanta Barbecue

Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,985,810 times
Quote:

This to me sums up City of Atlanta life perfectly. And the best part is that there are several hundred other restaurants, activities, neighborhoods, you can just insert in place of the places listed above. I'm not sure what Atlanta these other people are talking about. Doesn't sound like the place I live/love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta