U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,476,703 times
Reputation: 3886

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I was referring to how they effectively fit a 180-day school between Labor Day and Memorial Day.
Oh. Here's my former school district's calendar:

Hopkins Public Schools Calendar 2009-2010

To summarize:

August
31 First day of school (1-12)

September 2009
1 First day of kindergarten
7 Labor Day (no school E-12)
22 Late start (all schools start two hours late)

October 2009
1 Early release conferences (7-12)
12-14 Elementary conferences (no school K-6)
15-16 Education Minnesota Convention (no school E-12)
20 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
30 End of frst term (7-12)

November 2009
2 No school (7-12)
17 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
24 End of frst trimester (K-6)
25 No school (K-12)
26-27 Thanksgiving holiday (no school E-12)

December 2009
10 Early release conferences (7-12)
21-31 Winter break (continues through Jan. 1, school resumes Jan. 4)

January 2010
1 Winter break
4 School resumes
18 The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day (no school E-12)
19 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
25 Make-up day (no school 7-12), End of second term (7-12)

February 2010
12 End of second trimester (K-6)
15 Presidents’ Day (no school E-12)
16 Late start (all school start two hours late)
25 Early release conferences (7-12)

March 2010
9 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
18-19 Elementary conferences (no school K-6)
25 End of third term (7-12)
26 No school 7-12
29-31 Spring break (no school E-12), continues through April 2,
classes resume April 5)

April 2010
1-2 Spring break (no school E-12)
5 Classes resume April 5

May 2010
6 Early release conferences (7-12)
7 Junior high and high school conferences (no school 7-12)
25 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
31 Memorial Day (no school E-12)

June 2010
3 Last day of kindergarten (half day, Kindergarten Plus, XinXing Academy)
4 Last day of school, End of last term, End of third trimester

Last edited by rcsteiner; 11-19-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
 
3 posts, read 6,256 times
Reputation: 10
One example is the 09-10 school Calendar in Maine as follows:
Start Date: 9/8/09
Holidays/Vacations: 10/12, 11/11, 11/25-27, 12/23-1/1, 1/18, 2/15-19, 4/19-23, 5/31.
End date: 6/17/10 (subject tosnow days)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
 
13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Oh. Here's my former school district's calendar:

Hopkins Public Schools Calendar 2009-2010

To summarize:

August
31 First day of school (1-12)

September 2009
1 First day of kindergarten
7 Labor Day (no school E-12)
22 Late start (all schools start two hours late)

October 2009
1 Early release conferences (7-12)
12-14 Elementary conferences (no school K-6)
15-16 Education Minnesota Convention (no school E-12)
20 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
30 End of frst term (7-12)

November 2009
2 No school (7-12)
17 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
24 End of frst trimester (K-6)
25 No school (K-12)
26-27 Thanksgiving holiday (no school E-12)

December 2009
10 Early release conferences (7-12)
21-31 Winter break (continues through Jan. 1, school resumes Jan. 4)

January 2010
1 Winter break
4 School resumes
18 The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day (no school E-12)
19 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
25 Make-up day (no school 7-12), End of second term (7-12)

February 2010
12 End of second trimester (K-6)
15 Presidentsí Day (no school E-12)
16 Late start (all school start two hours late)
25 Early release conferences (7-12)

March 2010
9 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
18-19 Elementary conferences (no school K-6)
25 End of third term (7-12)
26 No school 7-12
29-31 Spring break (no school E-12), continues through April 2,
classes resume April 5)

April 2010
1-2 Spring break (no school E-12)
5 Classes resume April 5

May 2010
6 Early release conferences (7-12)
7 Junior high and high school conferences (no school 7-12)
25 Late start (all schools start two hours late)
31 Memorial Day (no school E-12)

June 2010
3 Last day of kindergarten (half day, Kindergarten Plus, XinXing Academy)
4 Last day of school, End of last term, End of third trimester
This is very similar to Metro Atlanta calendars before they decided to end first semesters before Christmas (which is a good idea).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
 
13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4592
OK--here is the problem:


Many people on this thread are just complaining because they are saying that the early to mid-August calendars are not like school calendars up North. It's amazing how intense the fervor is to make things in Atlanta like "up North." We're not up North--this is Atlanta.

Like Rainy said in earlier posts, the school calendars down here (the main thing being ending the first sem before the Winter Holidays) makes total, logical sense.

People are always talking how we should start after Labor Day, etc....but we end before Memorial Day. What gives? Wait...that's not how they do it up North.


There is no major difference between June and August (weather-wise) in the South. I know that many parts of Texas have school calendars like us--and actually started doing the mid-August starts dates well before we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
 
13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminiutti View Post
One example is the 09-10 school Calendar in Maine as follows:
Start Date: 9/8/09
Holidays/Vacations: 10/12, 11/11, 11/25-27, 12/23-1/1, 1/18, 2/15-19, 4/19-23, 5/31.
End date: 6/17/10 (subject tosnow days)

Having an end date that late down here is unheard of. Since at least the early 80's/late 70's, end dates have been early June (June 1-9)...at the latest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,476,703 times
Reputation: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK--here is the problem:

Many people on this thread are just complaining because they are saying that the early to mid-August calendars are not like school calendars up North. It's amazing how intense the fervor is to make things in Atlanta like "up North." We're not up North--this is Atlanta.
I was simply noting that overall school quality does not seem to be related to the length of the school year, at least in the part of the country I came from.

The previous school calendar in Cobb might have made sense. The new one might even make sense for Cobb. I don't know. But it's obvious that some other areas of the country are able to make do ... and outright excel in many cases ... with a school calender that is considerably shorter than the new one that is being proposed (and arguably also ramrodded through by the school board) for Cobb County.

I think those who believe the longer calendar will improve education are either being somewhat less than honest or are drinking somebody's koolaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM
 
13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I was simply noting that overall school quality does not seem to be related to the length of the school year, at least in the part of the country I came from.

The previous school calendar in Cobb might have made sense. The new one might even make sense for Cobb. I don't know. But it's obvious that some other areas of the country are able to make do ... and outright excel in many cases ... with a school calender that is considerably shorter than the new one that is being proposed (and arguably also ramrodded through by the school board) for Cobb County.

I think those who believe the longer calendar will improve education are either being somewhat less than honest or are drinking somebody's koolaid.
I wasn't talking about you when I made "up North" references...even though you are from "up North!"



I don't like the achievement argument either. However, the breaks are good for teachers and many students.

Ideally, U.S. schools should be 200-220 days, with a 6-8 week "summer break". There would be the other normal breaks throughout the school year (Spring Break, Winter Holidays, Other Holidays...and if feasible/possible--Thanksgiving full week break, Fall Break, and Winter Break). This would improve achievement...definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: a warmer place
1,748 posts, read 4,933,255 times
Reputation: 758
No it isn't the Northeast. I think people were expressing that it would be easier on some families if the calendar was more similar. Everyone has a different and valid reason for their choices. Don't condemn people for wanting to spend more time with their families. It is a fact there are many many transplants here and the calendar here is very different from many areas of the country not just the Northeast. But really our focus should be less on the calendar and more on academics. Changing the calendar isn't going to accomplish that. It isn't the Northeast ...Sadly when it comes to our schools that is very very obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,878,189 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Many people on this thread are just complaining because they are saying that the early to mid-August calendars are not like school calendars up North. It's amazing how intense the fervor is to make things in Atlanta like "up North." We're not up North--this is Atlanta.
My opinion has nothing to do with "how it's done up north" except for the fact that what's done up north in this instance is better and smarter. Why do we need to start earlier in August, simply to get a week off in September? We're trading contiguous time in the middle of the summer, simply to get a week in September....why do we need a week in September? For that matter, why do southern states, where it is hot as hell, start school in the middle of summer?

Anyone who can answer that in a way that makes sense will change my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
 
13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
No it isn't the Northeast. I think people were expressing that it would be easier on some families if the calendar was more similar. Everyone has a different and valid reason for their choices. Don't condemn people for wanting to spend more time with their families. It is a fact there are many many transplants here and the calendar here is very different from many areas of the country not just the Northeast. But really our focus should be less on the calendar and more on academics. Changing the calendar isn't going to accomplish that. It isn't the Northeast ...Sadly when it comes to our schools that is very very obvious.

Um, Sister Kaday...

Northeastern transplants shouldn't be able to dictate a calendar just so they can go visit their families. There are options to live in places...and you know it. If you are personally feeling condemned--well, that's unfortunate for you.

And your Northeast vs. Southern/Georgia schools statement...the idea that Northern schools overall are somehow better is ludicrous. Many people know this, many people have remarked about this (you included), and it's a cheap argument to use in order to have a Labor Day-esque Northeast-like calendar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top