U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 PM

47 posts, read 145,139 times

Advertisements

Wow. I would definitely visit this once in a while if built. I do think it needs to be closer to Atlanta though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM

2,351 posts, read 3,302,933 times
1 hour away isn't that big a deal. You'd drive that far to the mountains to ski right.

As a regional destination (not just Atlanta) the location probably makes sense with the other outdoors things in the area and the outlet malls etc. As well as being close to many affluent suburbs in north Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniusBugg View Post
Wow. I would definitely visit this once in a while if built. I do think it needs to be closer to Atlanta though.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM

6,838 posts, read 21,993,556 times
Never gonna happen-
The one in Dubui I understand. The one in NJ- I don't. Neither do the taxpayers of NJ. Hell, they want it torn down already. And it's not even completed. Some say leave it as is- it's sculpture (HA! HA!).
Here, it's even more ridiculous- I can drive another hour/ hour and ahalf and ski in NC outdoors. Like your suppose too!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,523,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Never gonna happen-
The one in Dubui I understand. The one in NJ- I don't. Neither do the taxpayers of NJ. Hell, they want it torn down already. And it's not even completed. Some say leave it as is- it's sculpture (HA! HA!).
Here, it's even more ridiculous- I can drive another hour/ hour and ahalf and ski in NC outdoors. Like your suppose too!
Thank you. Finally someone with some sense lol.

If it was just some simple, novelty, family attraction (like the aquarium) then that's something I could go along with. Still a bit cheesy, but whatever.

But an indoor ski RESORT?! Complete with hotels and restaurants? That is LAME beyond words.

And what a waste of money. I truly doubt this developer's judgment (not to mention taste).

Old 12-16-2009, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Default Cannot wait for this to be a reality

I think this would be a huge success. There are a lot of skiers in the Atlanta area, and a lot of first time would be skiers if something this affordable was close. I have skied at an indoor ski area in Tokyo ( [url=http://www.indoorsnow.com/sub/ssaws.htm]SSAWS(Funabashi,Tokyo)[/url] ), and it was quite large and even though for advanced skiers it might get old - I think the part that would not get old is the ability to ski in the middle of the summer.
I am all for it, as long as it doesn't get too cheesy by making it a theme park I think it could even attract people from around the southeast and the world - much the way Ski Dubai is one of the reasons people travel to Dubai.
As for the water shortages in ATL, since this is an indoor system (that is all melted water will be re-used) - you are probably looking at close to a 100% recycle rate. The only aspect I would see as cost prohibitive is maintaining the 28 degree temp - especially in the summer time. But if it works in Dubai I see no reason it couldn't in ATL.

ONLY request I have is for some fake tree runs, and a few moguls - other than that if they built this you can sign me up for a season pass.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,369,069 times
I think this would be a great place to try out skiing (or try out new skiies before heading out west for "real" skiing), it the price is affordable. It will not replace a mountain ski trip for avid skiiers.

If it is as ugly as the New Jersey complex, you do not it someplace where you have to see it every day. That place is a real eyesore. From the outside it looks like you are going to be skiing in an elevated, giant dumpster. (Reminds me of an article this summer about New Yorkers converting old dumpsters into swimming pools).

Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 PM

6,838 posts, read 21,993,556 times
Well, like I said- "never gonna happen"

Plans For Georgia Ski Slope Are Off - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 PM

2,266 posts, read 1,934,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Not because of the reasons you stated. But because Sonny vetoed the tax breaks for the developers, even that county was for the project. I glad his term is up soon.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM

8,711 posts, read 12,320,992 times
I'm sad.

This would have been good for Atlanta (but in a closer in location! see earlier posts...).

The article said Bartow County hopes to try again with a new governor.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:22 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,709,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

The article said Bartow County hopes to try again with a new governor.
Well, they voted predominately for the last one (twice) and saw where that got the project. But you never know - the next one might go for the idea. Roy Barnes always had an attraction towards doing things in North Georgia, so if they want one that bad... Actually, Dawsonville isn't a bad choice. With the outlet mall up there, and it's proximity to things like Dahlonega and the Kangaroo farm, Helen just North of there, etc., that area over the years has slowly developed more and more as a tourist destination. An indoor ski resort would certainly attract even more up there and boost it as a "destination".

Again though, the story is a year old and for now it's dead. Let's hope the next Governor whoever they are, supports the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta