U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,595 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody..
My name is Lisa and I plan to relocate to Georgia next spring with my two kids. I am looking for an Apt in Dekalb County since its close to transportation
(I do drive but don't have a car) and there is a school for deaf children there and my daughter is deaf. Is Dekalb County a safe place? Also, since I will be coming down to see apartments, I would need a host who can take me to these places and let me stay with them overnight if such a thing exists. I wish I had a contact person who could help me out in finding an apartment and other services that I need. I have no clue about the different areas there in Georgia and I do not want to move to a bad neighborhood because my son is autistic and would have a tough time adjusting to that, and besides who wants to live somewhere unsafe? I am aware that crime is everywhere but I don't want to go out looking for trouble if you know what I mean. I really need some guidance here and any suggestions you can give would really be appreciated. I am really flying blind and am making this move all alone...I already have a job which allows me to work from home so I'm fine in that department. Please answer...I'd appreciate that. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babygirllisa1 View Post
Hi Everybody..
I am looking for an Apt in Dekalb County since its close to transportation
(I do drive but don't have a car) and there is a school for deaf children there and my daughter is deaf.

If I'm not mistaken, the school for the deaf is in Clarkston, across the street from Georgia Perimeter College. Clarkston is not the best part of Dekalb, but is far from the worst. It's proably the most internationally diverse area in the state, and has a lot of refugees from all over the world.

I'd consider moving to an apartment near Avondale Marta station. It's only a few miles from Clarkston, and it's a safe area with shopping and inexpensive restaurants nearby.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 199,709 times
Thank ktloo,

Are you familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area? I curently live in San Ramon, and would love to find a similar city. Something like Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon or cities like that if you're familiar.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM

279 posts, read 337,010 times
capt, i would look in the NE quadrant of metro atlanta...generally the further out from the city it's newer, cleaner and safer.

I think you said you were looking for warehouse space?, then the NW quadrant would have more options and cheaper rents probably.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:39 PM

279 posts, read 337,010 times
lisa, i would contact the school, find the location, then work from that...try to find something on the marta subway line...once you have some general areas we can advise you on safety...or you can contact the local police depts. public information officer.
Maybe the school can help you arrange a guide...many people volunteer to help with those schools.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM

481 posts, read 2,548,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Sandy Springs borders Buckhead inside of 285, basically where the toll booths are (GA400). Also, to say that hardly anyone lives in the Midtown/Downtown area is simply untrue. That is just an uninformed suburbanite's point of view. I am willing to bet that most people moving to the Metro area will find Farlie Poplar district very charming and desirable.
I have lived in Midtown, go there every single day, and know practically every single bit of Midtown, Downtown, Druid Hills, Decatur, Buckhead.... I don't think I'm an uninformed suburbanite when I spend the vast majority of my time in the city of Atlanta.

344,339 people live in Atlanta city limits (not including Buckhead) according to 2005 estimates. 70,367 live in Buckhead.

And then there's the 4+ million people who live in the suburbs. I think my point that not that many people live in Downtown/Midtown stands. Atlanta has one of the smallest city limits populations in the country. It's barely in the top 30 cities for city populations, and that's including buckhead. I don't see how anyone can possibly say Downtown/Midtown is packed with people, unless you've never been to a city like New York.

As for saying the northern suburbs are the best, that's my opinion from my experience in Atlanta, and I've lived here a while. He wants good, clean neighborhoods close to malls and within 45 minutes of the city with fairly new housing, and that's my recommendation. I never said Druid Hills and Decatur were bad places to live, but those area don't fit his description as well. I spend the vast majority of my time in Atlanta, and I wouldn't dream of hanging out all day in the suburbs, because they are boring. But as far as places to live go, they certainly are very nice... And yeah, the character of the inside the perimeter old suburbs like Grant Park and Decatur do far exceed the strip malls and subdivisions of the northern suburbs, but I never said they didn't, and he didn't ask about that....

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM

985 posts, read 5,217,959 times
Just add some twists. Many Atlanta neighborhoods can change in a hurry. Some working class neighborhood can become ghetto within ten years. Just check out South Gwinnett (Gwinnett village). It was once bedroom neighborhood for Atlanta. Now, no so much. So sometimes I wonder which is future holds for those affordable newly developing neighborhoods in the north. On the other hand, some no so good neighborhood right now can turn around quickly. Just look at Atlantic station. It was big empty warehouse when I was in school. Sometimes, we can only hope for the best.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:19 PM

481 posts, read 2,548,444 times
Yeah Gwinnett has changed so much. I think it's doubled in population in the last decade.

As for Atlantic Station, yeah GA Tech students used to have huge parties in that old warehouse. Now GA Tech students go watch movies at the theater that's there now.... Atlantic Station is packed with people, especially on weekends. They show movies at like 2AM!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
344,339 people live in Atlanta city limits (not including Buckhead) according to 2005 estimates. 70,367 live in Buckhead.
Where do you get that number? According to the US census 470,688 people lived in Atlanta in 2005 and the last I heard the city of Atlanta was disputing that because they thought it was too low. As far as 70,367 in Buckhead, that sounds right. Of course Buckhead covers a huge area, much larger then downtown.

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2005.html (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
I don't see how anyone can possibly say Downtown/Midtown is packed with people, unless you've never been to a city like New York.
I don't think anybody is comparing downtown Atlanta to New York, that is an unfair comparison. New York is denser then any city in the US and most cities in the world. However, downtown Atlanta has a higher residential density then any other place in Atlanta metro so if somebody thinks nobody lives there, then there most not be anybody living in the entire metro area. It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited by xxman777; 05-16-2007 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Added Link

Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,798,205 times
Lisa

You have a deaf daugher and an autistic son?

Do you have good services where you are?

Why DeKalb?

DeKalb's special ed is mediocre and best and unless your autistic son is high funcitoning it is unlikely you will be able to have them in the same school -- ever.

What grades are they in?

Briarlake Elementary School is served by a fair number of apartments and houses one of the system's programs for hearing impaired children.

But if your kids are getting good services where you are and this is an optional move, I would proceed carefully.

In Georgia, less than 50 percent of kids with special education needs graduate high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or