U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Where do you get that number? According to the US census 470,688 people lived in Atlanta in 2005 and the last I heard the city of Atlanta was disputing that because they thought it was too low. As far as 70,367 in Buckhead, that sounds right. Of course Buckhead covers a huge area, much larger then downtown.
Atlanta city limits in Fulton excluding Buckhead - 344,339
Buckhead - 70,367
Atlanta city limits in Dekalb - 32,574

Total population of Atlanta city limits - 447,280

This is 2005 data from the Atlanta Regional Commission. 2005 information from anywhere (ARC or Census Bureau) is an estimate, the most recent concrete data is still the 2000 census. I suspect the small difference in population is due to differences in the way different groups estimate population growth, or perhaps due to slightly different boundaries... Or maybe one counts university populations and one doesn't....

Buckhead is about 1/5 the area of Atlanta city limits, and about 1/6 the population of Atlanta. Meaning it's only slightly less densely population than the rest of Atlanta.

Last edited by GF72; 05-17-2007 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 AM

40 posts, read 333,680 times
Smile ktloo is right

Ktloo is right. We live intown (City of Decatur). We do not live in a forested mansion or a condo. We live in a bungalow on about 1/2 acre. We are a family with kids in public schools. There are a TON of kids around here.

There are lots of fabulous intown schools. They are much smaller than the schools in the suburbs also if you are into smaller schools. The suburbs are great and I have a lot of friends who like it there. However, intown has everything the suburbs have as far as education and quality of life. It's just different... not better or worse.. just different.

I would suggest getting with a realtor that knows the burbs and another one that really knows intown, look at them both and decide for yourself. In the burbs, Sewanee, Duluth, Alpharetta, East Cobb, Roswell, most of Forsyth County and Dunwoody are the most in demand areas.

In town, you will want to look in Candler Park, City of Decatur (not the county), Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Morningside, Druid Hills/Emory, Lake Claire, Oak Grove or Buckhead/Peachtree Hills if you want good schools.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 199,713 times
I took into consideration what everyones opinion was, and I like the look and feel of Marietta. Houses are around my price range, and they look great. ($300,000 houses there would be about $700,000 out here at least!) What is everyones opinion of that area? It's outside of the immediate Atlanta city area, and close enough to visit. It also looks like a good area to find a warehouse within maybe 30 minutes driving distance.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,732,609 times
There is lots of warehouse space in the city limits of Marietta. I think it depends on where in Marietta you are talking about. Lots of people think the area east of I-75 are in Marietta (because they have a Marietta mailing address), but they are actually in the county. I find this area to be kind of generic, everything looks the same. Good schools though, safe neighborhoods. Areas west of the square in Marietta are very nice though. Older neighborhoods with new construction mixed in, a little more character and diversity in housing stock makes it a little more interesting. The schools aren't as good though. Either area is hard to get into Atlanta, traffic will suck during rush hour but if your working out of the warehouse or home you will be better off.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:54 PM

985 posts, read 5,218,514 times
Do you need good schools? If you do, check the following links. Walton and Pope school districts are very expensive, way over 300s. Maybe you can find something in Lassiter (East Cobb) and Harrison (West Cobb) area, probably existing home only. City of Marietta has poor performing schools. So do many other schools within Cobb county. As you can soon find out, good school districts are not very cheap (maybe cheaper than California, but it is not as cheap as you think).

East Cobb...Middle and High Schools

Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 199,713 times
jxu66,

Thanks for the school info, but I currently have no children. That'll be a ways off, so I'm not worried about that at the current time.

xxman777,

I think you may have sold me on Marietta. Generic doesn't bother me, and I won't be driving into Atlanta during rush hour.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 PM

481 posts, read 2,548,684 times
What do you mean by Marietta? I have a Marietta address but I do not live in Marietta... this is true for most people in Cobb County. Something like 400,000+ people have Marietta mailing addresses, even though only about 60,000 people actually live in the city of Marietta. This is because most of Cobb County is unincorporated (not part of any city) and since Marietta is the county seat most of those areas get a Marietta address by default (except Vinings/Cumberland which may get Atlanta or Smyrna and Town Center which may get Kennesaw, or just really far NW or SW cobb which gets Acworth and Powder Springs).

Marietta city limits is not that great of a place to live. The downtown area is nice but most of the city limits aren't that nice. Also you'll have to pay taxes to Marietta and Cobb County.

East Cobb and West Cobb also have Marietta addresses but are much nicer places to live and you only have to pay taxes to Cobb County. East Cobb is much more expensive and is already pretty much filled up, most of the area is well beyond 300 grand like the other guy said, even for used houses. Lassiter area and eastern Sprayberry and Wheeler areas will probably have used houses in that range. Walton and Pope areas (the Johnson Ferry corridor close to Roswell/Sandy Springs) won't have anything in that range. West Cobb is less densely populated and is still growing and has undeveloped areas left, so that is probably your best bet. Find a good location in West Cobb but make sure it's not within the city limits of Marietta (or Kennesaw or Smyrna, just to make sure you don't pay any city taxes). You will most likely get a Marietta address. You should find good houses for 300 grand. Only problem is the commute on the stretch of I-75 that runs through Marietta and Town Center is absolutely horrible. East Cobb doesn't have to deal with it since they go down Johnson Ferry and either take Abernathy to GA-400 or Riverside Drive to I-285, both of which can be really bad but overall the distance is probably shorter to Atlanta.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 6,277 times
I'm moving to Georgia soon and tryn to be as close to Atlanata and downtown but not live in a bad neighborhood. please answer back moving in 45 days. Also would like to know whats fun to do...

Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,825 times
There are a lot or reputable schools in the area. You can use Google maps and search the schools near your place.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
We just bought a new townhouse in Suwanee, will be moving in August, I had wanted to buy a place in Alpharetta, but my husband chose Suwanee instead, because able to buy a brand new townhouse instead of a 20 year old one for the same price. I'm concerned we made bad decision. Should of stayed in Alpharetta. l
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or