U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 171,601 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will be moving to the Atlanta area for work within the next 6 months. We will be looking for a warehouse to rent/buy after I find a good neighborhood so I am really open to where I want to move. I need to be within about 45 minutes to an hour of Atlanta, and my price cap is probably about $300,000 for a house. What neighborhoods are safe, clean, have close access to shops/malls and somewhat new housing?

Thanks to everyone who replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:05 PM

481 posts, read 2,012,907 times
The best neighborhoods are the areas north of the city.

I-75 leads up to the northwestern suburbs (Marietta, Kennesaw, Smyrna, West Cobb, Acworth, Cherokee County). Basically most of Cobb County. This is a good place to live, mostly middle class, you should find new homes for around $300,000. This area is served by Town Center Mall in the northern side and Cumberland Mall to the southern side. Both above average malls. There's still new houses going up in this area in your price range.

I-85 leads to the northeastern suburbs (Lawrenceville, Suwanee, Duluth, Lilburn, Norcross, Tucker). Basically Gwinnett County, and parts of Dekalb. This area is very diverse, both in terms of race and income. You should easily find a house in your range in this area, though much of the area is perhaps not as nice as Cobb County. Definitely more diverse though. This area is served by Gwinnett Place mall and Discover Mills Mall, which is sort of a cross between an outlet mall and a real mall.

GA-400 leads up to the northern suburbs (Sandy Springs, East Cobb, Dunwoody, Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, Johns Creek). Basically north Fulton county and parts of eastern cobb county and northern dekalb county. These are the wealthiest suburbs of Atlanta. In fact this area (Georgia's 6th congressional district) is one of the top 10 wealthiest congressional districts in the country. This is a very nice and very developed area but you're going to have a very hard time finding a new house for $300,000 in any of those places, if such a house exists. Though you could probably find a used house 20 to 30 years old in that range, depending on where you look. This area is served by the nicest malls too, North Point Mall in the northern side and Perimeter Mall on the southern side.

Inside the I-285 perimeter is basically the Atlanta part of Metro Atlanta. The southern parts of the area range from pure ghetto to average. The middle part is the city of Atlanta itself, mostly office towers, businesses, universities, stores.... hardly anyone lives around there. The northern part of the City of Atlanta is called Buckhead and is the rich part of the city. Very rich. Between the place where I-75 and I-85 split all the way up to the I-285 perimeter is basically nothing but forested mansions. However there are lots of condos and apartments that are affordable in and around the skyline area of Buckhead (Buckhead has it's own skyline seperate from downtown Atlanta, as do the NW suburbs around Cumberland Mall and the N suburbs around Perimeter mall). The Buckhead area is served by the sister malls Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza, which are right across the street from each other and together make up the most upscale mall in the country, in terms of the number of upscale stores there are. Lenox is larger and is basically a very nice mall, whereas Phipps is basically where the rich people shop, nothing but upscale stores. Note that Buckhead is the entertainment, nightlife, and shopping hub of the entire metro area, so this place is really busy. People from the northern suburbs and the city regularly flock to Buckhead and these two malls and the area around them.

East of Atlanta are the eastern suburbs... I don't feel like typing much more but suffice it to say the place is pretty average, not that nice.

West of Atlanta are the western suburbs, basically Douglasville and the Douglas county... average places to live, far less people than in the northern areas... If you like less hustle and bustle this is a good place.

South of Atlanta are the southern suburbs. Closer to I-285 is Clayton County, the worst place to live in Atlanta... avoid this place. Farther out is Fayette County which is OK. Peachtree City is a fancy planned city, but unless you want to drive around the city in a golf cart I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:27 PM

985 posts, read 4,147,818 times
I disagree GF72 on Gwinnett area. West Gwinnett is pretty expensive (West Norcross, historic Norcross, Berkeley Lake, Duluth and Suwanee) along the peachtree industrial road next to Fulton County. You won't able to get 300,000 for new house, maybe mid 90s houses. Also, Hamiliton Mills area in Gwinnett is also getting very pricey very quickly. You are definitely getting more house for your money on East Gwinnett (East of I-85).

Also, due to genefication of city of Atlanta, a lot of poorer folks move to South Gwinnett (Gwinnett village) and South Cobb area.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM

562 posts, read 1,944,096 times
^Interesting description.

I just want to note: don't paint all of SW Atlanta with the word "ghetto". The Cascade area is far from ghetto. That area is teeming with successful individuals...and the brand new single family homes can easily climb into the 500K+ range.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM

985 posts, read 4,147,818 times
In summary, most areas with good schools (not even the best) are pretty expensive. An good example is Duluth/Suwanee/Sugarloaf area. When Mason, Suwanee, Riverside and Parson elementary schools reach the level of North Fulton schools, suddenly, everybody is moving to those areas. Same thing is happening in South Forsyth right now.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 PM

481 posts, read 2,012,907 times
Neither of you are really disagreeing with me. I said Gwinnett is very diverse in terms of income, I didn't say there weren't rich parts of the county. Of course Duluth and Suwanee are expensive areas... perhaps I should have mentioned that though...

And I didn't say all of south Atlanta is ghetto, I said parts of it, and that's the truth. Obviously Cascade is not ghetto....

Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 AM

425 posts, read 1,193,799 times
Sandy Springs borders Buckhead inside of 285, basically where the toll booths are (GA400). Also, to say that hardly anyone lives in the Midtown/Downtown area is simply untrue. That is just an uninformed suburbanite's point of view. I am willing to bet that most people moving to the Metro area will find Farlie Poplar district very charming and desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Inside the I-285 perimeter is basically the Atlanta part of Metro Atlanta. The southern parts of the area range from pure ghetto to average. The middle part is the city of Atlanta itself, mostly office towers, businesses, universities, stores.... hardly anyone lives around there. The northern part of the City of Atlanta is called Buckhead and is the rich part of the city. Very rich. Between the place where I-75 and I-85 split all the way up to the I-285 perimeter is basically nothing but forested mansions. However there are lots of condos and apartments that are affordable in and around the skyline area of Buckhead (Buckhead has it's own skyline seperate from downtown Atlanta, as do the NW suburbs around Cumberland Mall and the N suburbs around Perimeter mall). The Buckhead area is served by the sister malls Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza, which are right across the street from each other and together make up the most upscale mall in the country, in terms of the number of upscale stores there are. Lenox is larger and is basically a very nice mall, whereas Phipps is basically where the rich people shop, nothing but upscale stores. Note that Buckhead is the entertainment, nightlife, and shopping hub of the entire metro area, so this place is really busy. People from the northern suburbs and the city regularly flock to Buckhead and these two malls and the area around them.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 AM

1,089 posts, read 4,491,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Sandy Springs borders Buckhead inside of 285, basically where the toll booths are (GA400). Also, to say that hardly anyone lives in the Midtown/Downtown area is simply untrue. That is just an uninformed suburbanite's point of view. I am willing to bet that most people moving to the Metro area will find Farlie Poplar district very charming and desirable.
You are so right about people actually do live in town. Downtown alone has over 8600 units of housing. Sure these aren't families, but a lot of people do live there. I'm willing to bet the highest density of residential units is in downtown, not in the suburbs. Areas all around downtown have a much higher density of housing then anywhere in the suburbs.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 171,601 times
Wow,
You guys are great. I really appreciate all the information. I've got a lot more research to do now. I currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area where the prices are way higher for housing.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 AM

34 posts, read 216,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
The best neighborhoods are the areas north of the city.....

Between the place where I-75 and I-85 split all the way up to the I-285 perimeter is basically nothing but forested mansions. However there are lots of condos and apartments that are affordable in and around the skyline area of Buckhead
I'm sorry but there are many inaccuracies in GF72's post. First, not all the "best" neighborhoods are north of the city. Nor is it true that "hardly anyone lives downtown", and "from the split up to 285 it's nothing but forested mansions, condos and apts." This poster completely disregarded what some consider to be the "best" areas of Atlanta, namely: Decatur, Emory, VaHi, Toco Hills/Briarcliff/Oak Grove, Grant Park, etc. These areas feature bungalows, cottages, ranches, traditional two story-home neighborhoods and so much more. The character and charm of these neighborhoods far exceeds those of the outer suburbs, and adding in the progressive people, restaurants and cultural aminities, I conside this the "best" of Atlanta. There's wayyyy more to Atlanta intown than Buckhead.

If you are from the Bay Area, you may feel very comfortable in the neighborhoods mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta