Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 39,813 times

Advertisements

In the last fifteen years Atlanta has been considered the Black Mecca and has lured Afro-Americans from all over the country. The one thing you don't hear, it is still the south. Moved to North Georgia in 2003 from Cali.
Here's what I have learned. Since Barak Obama took office last year the righteous right are up in arms.If you are not from the south you will soon realize that you will be treated differently, as an outsider or troublemaker.
Their favorite tactic is intimidation and charcater assassination from the poorest to the well to do. The best defense is to become a part of the community you live in. Have no criminal history and do your best to get along with everyone. In today's economy it is also wise to have stable employment when you get here. Nowaday's a person can do a background check on you with just your name and birthdate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
If you want to move here--do it--there is equal opportunity, tolerance, reason and good will here.

The traffic is terrible. You need a car. There are many choices--styles of living--basically be a decent a human and you will do well here. We don't want 'The Others'--those intent upon destroying society. So, if that is your mission--try another city. Otherwise--do what you want and try to enjoy your life--that is all I know to tell you. I have lived here for over half a century and prefer ATL to other cities--moderate climate, which has been intensely analyzed and debated--but it is in the temperate zone so that tells you something.

The motto of the State of Ga is: 'Moderation, Wisdom and Justice' or something like that. At times due to 'Free Speech'--the hearing of all opinions political discussions and resulting laws/rules seem peculiar to many--but most of us have little control over all of that. We try to live--follow the laws and help as we can.

I am Caucasian and don't have a lot of in depth knowledge of Black Issues. If Deacon J or Sweet Atlanta Peach see this post they could probably respond to specific issues. Yes, Civil Rights is a high priority in Atlanta, GA--we, those who have been here for generations do remember the injustice of slavery---and why the City was Burned and try to never, ever do things that would lead to further injustice but we feel that with equality comes responsibility and accountability--because Boortz, the High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth evangelives daily on 750AM/flagship station of Cox Communication. Go to Boortz.com and get a dose of what we have been hearing for a couple of decades. 'Work', Think for Yourself, Don't rely on the government---all that. Your parents probably said the same--it is nothing 'New' and certainly not a secret.

jmo

I don't believe or agree with much of what Boortz says--he likes that. Formerly an attorney and a Libertarian--strange, complex people.

Long before Neal Boortz started evangelizing--I knew that I wanted to live 'Freely'--and I do. He has a plane, fyi--keeps it at PDK--isn't that something? I think he flies it over my house. I don't care what he does--or what others do--as long as they aren't cruel or intent upon evil I live and let live. A simple philosophy of life--yes?

Come and visit and find out for yourself if ATL has anything to offer you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: