Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 97,963 times

Advertisements

We are looking by a single family home in the Atlanta area. We recently moved here from Tampa, FL so we don't have a clear understanding of the real estate market.

My wife will be working at the VA Medical Center and I will be working in Stockbridge. We currently live in Lenox Park and love it. However, we want to move into a single family home with an very easy commute for her as I predominatly drive most of the time for mine. We are dual income and no kids. But planning in the next year.

Here is what we are looking for:

-350K or less/2200 -2500 a month with taxes
-Fairly new home with a yard 2000 or later or remolded
-Safe area (very important)
- ITP or OTP isn't really an issue as long as her commute in 20min or less.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by noles11; 11-29-2009 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 03:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noles11 View Post
My wife will be working at the VA Medical Center and I will be working in Stockbridge. We currently live in Lenox Park and love it. However, we want to move into a single family home with an very easy commute for her as I predominatly drive most of the time for mine. We are dual income and no kids. But planning in the next year.

Here is what we are looking for:

-350K or less/2200 -2500 a month with taxes
-Fairly new home with a yard 2000 or later or remolded
-Safe area (very important)
- ITP or OTP isn't really an issue as long as her commute in 20min or less.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I wish you luck--Va Medical Center on Clairmont Rd and Stockbridge?

Sounds like you should head to Decatur---you could get closer to Stockbridge and someone will probably give you some options--I don't go that way much---Madison, GA would be too far--great little historic town---maybe Conyers---I just don't know that area--sorry.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:54 PM

The VA Medical Center off of Claimont Rd.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
The VA Medical Center off of Claimont Rd.
Well--you might find what you want in Decatur--I think IntownGuru/real estate agent knows this area well. Medlock Park would be right across the street --your wife would like that. If she could get across Clairmont Rd without being killed--sometimes the younger Emory drivers are impatient but DeKalb PD keeps a tight reign on this Indianopolis style area.

Medlock Park is great--FWIW, I am a Medlock--lol--my relatives are in Gwinnett but supposedly good people of some sort--all Medlocks. LOL--a few could use some work, jmo.

Medlock Park would be a good place--older--40's, 50's style homes --the PATH Trail connects Medlock Park/recreation area to the Mason Mill Park--tennis center and good for walking, dogs and breathing some clean air.

Mason Mill Park/Center is the headquarters for Special Populations--lots of activities for seniors and used by many civic, religious groups for activities.

The new and very well planned Avis Williams/Toco Hill branch of the DeKalb Library system is there. First rate service --I have been myself --DeKalb has an exceptionally fine library system--'Come Hell or High Water' might be their motto--they keep doing what they have done for decades--help others enjoy books, writing and keeping mentally fit. That is the work of Magda Sossa and those who really love books. I have lived here for over half a century--started reading at Decatur--only branch in the area at the time--so I am proud of the Library System. Give them some money---or donate some books--they do a great job.

If you want 'newer'--there is a ??cluster home area behind the tennis center that might be a good place to look. Small yards but beautiful homes--big. Intown Guru will have some ideas for you.

hth

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
The newer subdivision next to the Mason Mill tennis center that TakeAHike is referring to is called Emory Parc. They are beautiful homes but they are well out of your price range for detached homes.

Leafmore/Creek Park (30033) is a wonderful 1960s neighborhood that's basically just down the street from the VA Hospital. You could find a 3/2 in your price range there although it wouldn't be new and might not be completely renovated. A bit further out Briarcliff towards Northlake (30345) would still give your wife a quick commute but give you a little larger home and more renovated home within your price range. Of course, finding a newer home is a bit harder intown, but not out of the question. Either of these locations would give you pretty quick access to either I-85 or I-285 for your commute to Stockbridge (which I don't envy you -- that's going to be a bear).

You might also look at Avondale Estates. It's a bit further commute for your wife but it might help you a little with your commute and it's very close to the City of Decatur which is wonderful (but quite pricey).

If you're interested in the Emory/Decatur/Northlake area and you have questions, feel free to DM me -- I'm a native of this part of town.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:54 PM

937 posts, read 927,462 times
Smyrna's not a bad option.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Dont come over here to Conyers..bad idea...

Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 PM

What's wrong with Conyers?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
What's wrong with Conyers?
There are more convenient places to locate in relation to where you each will be working than Conyers...Decatur sounds like a good suggestion, but it won't be very close to Stockbridge. With Decatur, one of you will have it made.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
It is closes to Stockbridge and it wouldn't be a bad commute down 138....

Getting to work at the VA would be a pain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta