Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 36,684 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from Cleveland and might be moving to the Atlanta area this coming summer. I would be taking a job transfer, but my wife would have to find work. She is in her third year of teaching special education. I would be traveling locally in my line of work, so commuting would be no big deal. We are planning on coming down in January for a long weekend to check the area out. My question is, what areas should we explore for living in? We are in our late 20s, want to be in a safe area, restaurants and bars close by, and not too far from downtown. We currently don't have any kids, but may in the future. We would be looking to start in a two bedroom apartment with a price range of around $800 a month. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 07:48 PM

200 posts, read 814,341 times
I am from Cleveland and still reside there. I think that the neighborhoods of Virginia Highlands, Midtown, and Buckhead are the types of neighborhoods you are looking for. Midtown is like University Circle, it is close to downtown and has many restaurants, has many high rises, and is within close proximity to museum and parks. Buckhead is similar to Beachwood with high-class malls and shopping, and Virginia Highlands is like a large Little Italy with many quaint shops. I love north side of Atlanta because it reminds so much of the east side of Cleveland. In addition, all of these neighborhoods are close to each other and are all filled with young professionals and college students. Hopefully, one day I will live with close to you one day in the big peach.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM

16 posts, read 36,684 times
Default Thanks wildcat

I've been living on the westside of Cleveland all my life. Started off in Bay and now in Olmsted Falls. Did you go to Ignatius or is that for Mayfield high because of the wildcat screen name. I graduated from Ed's.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Yes, I graduated from Saint Ignatius long ago.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Well actually I graduated in 2009 and go to school in Pennsylvania right now.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
My parents are from Cleveland. My mom went to Regina and my dad went Cathedral Latin. They lived in South Euclid. My grandmother is from Brahtenal.

Stick to the north side. I have been to Cleveland and there are really no comparisons between the two cities. My parents are never reminded of an area of Cleveland when they are in Atlanta, except maybe Druid Hills and Shaker Heights. I would check out Virginia-Highland or Buckhead. Midtown is cool but it is a bit "alternative." Also try Dunwoody/Sandy Springs near Perimeter Mall, but it is not as close in as Buckhead and their are very few bars.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:01 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Stick to the north side. I have been to Cleveland and there are really no comparisons between the two cities. My parents are never reminded of an area of Cleveland when they are in Atlanta, except maybe Druid Hills and Shaker Heights.
Yeah, Cleveland has a gritty, working class vibe, along with a sports centered, corner bar culture with "deep rooted" residents (I'm really not sure if that sums it up, but it's my best try) that is not generally found in Atlanta. Atlanta is much more white collar and transient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta