Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,114 times

Advertisements

I am supposed to start a new job in downtown Atlanta in April. We have lived in Colorado for the past 2 years and love it here, but my contract position will be ending later in 2010 and the cost of housing here is OUTRAGEOUS! Homes similar to what we want in the Atlanta area are twice as expensive here. I have a great job opportunity in Atlanta and don't think I can pass it up.

We have been looking at housing and trying to find out as much as we can about the Atlanta area. I currently commute about an hour to work each way and would like to keep my commute to that length, or shorter. We like a smaller town feel, but with amenities near by. We enjoy a lot of outdoor activities, hiking, biking, camping, watersports, etc. We have 2 children, 7th and 5th graders. We are looking at housing in the $300-400 thousand range. Our ideal home would have 4+ bds, 3+ baths, 2 story with basement, newer home, nice finishes and a pool would be great. There appears to be a lot of areas with homes that meets our needs all around Atlanta, in Powder Springs, Kennesaw, Stockbridge, McDonough, etc. The distances dont seem to bad (much shorter than I commute now), but I have heard nightmare stories about the commute times to downtown. I have read some comments that the commute from the North is much worse than from the South....not sure about from the East or West. I have also heard many people rave about living up North....I am assuming they do not commute downtown.

How are the trains? Are they safe. A monthly pass seems quite cheap ($60 if I remember right), but many stations charge $8 a day for parking.

Can anyone tell me if their is smog testing for vehicles in Atlanta, and if so, do vehicles from 1982 and 1985 have to be smogged?

I would appreciate any comments about communities around Atlanta safe for raising a family with a reasonable (1 hr or less) commute. Thank you very much and I hope I was specific enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:53 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemerc View Post
I am supposed to start a new job in downtown Atlanta in April. We have lived in Colorado for the past 2 years and love it here, but my contract position will be ending later in 2010 and the cost of housing here is OUTRAGEOUS! Homes similar to what we want in the Atlanta area are twice as expensive here. I have a great job opportunity in Atlanta and don't think I can pass it up.

We have been looking at housing and trying to find out as much as we can about the Atlanta area. I currently commute about an hour to work each way and would like to keep my commute to that length, or shorter. We like a smaller town feel, but with amenities near by. We enjoy a lot of outdoor activities, hiking, biking, camping, watersports, etc. We have 2 children, 7th and 5th graders. We are looking at housing in the $300-400 thousand range. Our ideal home would have 4+ bds, 3+ baths, 2 story with basement, newer home, nice finishes and a pool would be great. There appears to be a lot of areas with homes that meets our needs all around Atlanta, in Powder Springs, Kennesaw, Stockbridge, McDonough, etc. The distances dont seem to bad (much shorter than I commute now), but I have heard nightmare stories about the commute times to downtown. I have read some comments that the commute from the North is much worse than from the South....not sure about from the East or West. I have also heard many people rave about living up North....I am assuming they do not commute downtown.

How are the trains? Are they safe. A monthly pass seems quite cheap ($60 if I remember right), but many stations charge $8 a day for parking.

Can anyone tell me if their is smog testing for vehicles in Atlanta, and if so, do vehicles from 1982 and 1985 have to be smogged?

I would appreciate any comments about communities around Atlanta safe for raising a family with a reasonable (1 hr or less) commute. Thank you very much and I hope I was specific enough.
For you, I recommend looking in Coweta County (Newnan, Sharpsburg), Fayette County (Peachtree City, Tyrone, Fayetteville), or Southern Henry County (Locust Grove, Ola Area, Union Grove Area).

The aforementioned counties offer better commutes to Downtown and all of the other attributes you are looking for.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Thank you for the response. I could not find Union Grove...would you mind telling me where that is near? Thank you again.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,258,162 times
Here's a link to info on emission testing for vehicles in Georgia:

Georgia Clean Air Force

Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,601,867 times
If you can swing it, I would let your kids finish school in Colorado. If you enroll them in April, most likely, your 5th grader will be required to take state testing to proceed to the 6th grade. Schools here end around May 20th -- so you will be just catching the very end of the year anyway.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemerc View Post
Thank you for the response. I could not find Union Grove...would you mind telling me where that is near? Thank you again.

Henry County Schools | Enrollment Zones (http://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/151610129144153340/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=59472 - broken link)

*Click on "High School Attendance Zone Maps." This will show you the general Union Grove Area (as well as Ola and Locust Grove).

*Then you can click on "Elementary School Attendance Zone Maps" and "Middle School Attendance Zone Maps" to see the other schools in each of the aforementioned areas.

Another helpful link...

Union Grove High School

Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,295,787 times
I'm sure you're sick at the thought at leaving such a beautiful place as Colorado. I love it out there and may be moving to Denver in the future. In regards to communities, check out Tributary in Douglasville. It's located just outside of the Atlanta city limits, but it's nonetheless in a very tranquil setting near Sweetwater Creek. This community boasts immediate accessbility to outdoorsy activities like kayaking, biking, swimming, and hiking. Areas near Suwanee, John's Creek, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Roswell and East Cobb would be ideal for you, but since you are going to work Downtown, the commute from these areas may be atrocious. Overall Tributary seems like it would be a very ideal place for you to check out given your interests and criteria for a new home in Metro Atlanta. I'll paste a link below.

TRIBUTARY

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Thank you for the responses. Yes, we love Colorado very much, it is always sunny and the weather is quite mild compared to when we lived in Michigan. However, good employment is hard to pass up. I looked at Tributary and passed that along to my wife to further review.

We have found homes we like in Acworth and Conyers. Based on what I have read, Acworth sounds very nice, but a commute to downtown might be over an hour. Can anyone comment regarding living in either Acworth or Conyers, what it is like, the schools, and a possible commute to downtown.

I have read many threads on this site and overall it sounds like commuting along I-20 is better than I-75 or I-85 from the North to downtown. However, it also sounds like living South of town, and commuting North along I-85 or I-75 is maybe better. Based on the Loop around Atlanta, that appears to create 2 quadrants of living for better traffic. Basically Southwest between I-20 and I-85 and Southeast between I-20 and I-75. Am I getting this right, or am I missing something. Thanks so much.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:21 PM

8,466 posts, read 14,896,767 times
^You've got it right, but it was by happenstance. The south side isn't as populated as other parts of town, so traffic isn't as bad. The only real bad spot is when you get closer to the city on either 75 or 85 and when the two merge before going in to Downtown. Since you will be working Downtown, it can be easily avoid by taking the side streets in from the south side neighborhoods. Metropolitan Ave runs direct in to the city center on the south east side and Lee St on the south west side.

Alternatively you could always park at a MARTA subway station and take the train in to the city. That would be the least stressful approach, and a lot of companies Downtown will even subsidize your fare card. If not, a unlimited monthly ticket costs just $60

Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
^You've got it right, but it was by happenstance. The south side isn't as populated as other parts of town, so traffic isn't as bad. The only real bad spot is when you get closer to the city on either 75 or 85 and when the two merge before going in to Downtown. Since you will be working Downtown, it can be easily avoid by taking the side streets in from the south side neighborhoods. Metropolitan Ave runs direct in to the city center on the south east side and Lee St on the south west side.

Alternatively you could always park at a MARTA subway station and take the train in to the city. That would be the least stressful approach, and a lot of companies Downtown will even subsidize your fare card. If not, a unlimited monthly ticket costs just $60
Yes, you are right.

That's why I recommend looking at the counties/areas I mentioned in the earlier post. If you like the homes you're seeing in Acworth and Conyers, you will like homes in Newnan, Sharpsburg, Tyrone, Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Locust Grove, McDonough, Union Grove/Ola, and South Douglasville/Chapel Hill/Bill Arp.

Oh, I would add one more county to the list I previously made:

Douglas County

Look at neighborhoods, areas, and schools in the Alexander High and/or Chapel Hill High Clusters (these areas are also known as South Douglasville, Bill Arp, Chapel Hill(s), Fairplay).

Douglas County School System ::

Last edited by aries4118; 12-01-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta