Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,197 times

Advertisements

*The rent seems really low in Atlanta in comparison to CT,NY, NJ.....Whats the catch?
*How big of a difference is the pay (if you do know)
*Is the traffic as bad as people say it is?
*Is Atlanta as "rainbow" as people say it is?
*Does it feel like the good 'ol boy souf' at times?
*Is it tougher to find jobs as a black male when there are so many other black males down there vs. in the north where I am a commodity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
The rent is higher and you also need to factor in the heating cost during winter. The traffic is bad depending on where you live. Toll roads and snow can really gum up the works.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorfguy View Post
*The rent seems really low in Atlanta in comparison to CT,NY, NJ.....Whats the catch?
*1) How big of a difference is the pay (if you do know)
*2) Is the traffic as bad as people say it is?
*3) Is Atlanta as "rainbow" as people say it is?
*4) Does it feel like the good 'ol boy souf' at times?
*5) Is it tougher to find jobs as a black male when there are so many other black males down there vs. in the north where I am a commodity?
1) Rent is generally lower, but it depends of course on where you live and what kind of job you have as to how you can compare rent-to-pay ratios. While the "average" 1BR apartment probably goes for around $750 or so a month here, you can easily go upwards of $1500 and much more in the right neighborhood/building.

2) Yes, traffic is as bad as people say. It's eased off slightly since the recession and more folks working from home, but comparatively speaking, it's still pretty bad.

3) If by "as rainbow as people say" you mean is there a large gay population here - yes. By some accounts, per-capita around the third largest in the U.S, and the largest gay black population as well. If gay people bother you a lot, don't move here. C'mon, it's a large city - you expected Montana? (there are gay people there too, by the way).

4) Atlanta city is not "good old boy". It's composed of people from literally all over the world, though you don't see compact distinct ethnic neighborhoods of just certain groups like you would in NYC, San Fran, Vancouver, etc. Once you get to the outer suburbs, it depends on where you are. There are indeed SOME "good old boy" pockets left here and there, but generally you're talking about driving 25+ miles outside the city or more depending on the direction, before you get to them.

5) I have no idea what you mean about "being tougher to find a job as a black male since there are so many black males here" (?) It's Federally illegal for people to advertise that they want (or don't) black males as employees - you're not competing for job positions because of your skin color. The number of other black males here will have nothing to do with your ability to get a job here. What will matter, is how your resume works out, your skills, grammar, how you dress, reliability, etc.

*note* Maybe I'm reading some of your comments wrong, but generally speaking, if you tend to have a "separationist" mentality where you isolate yourself here based on skin color and it's a "me vs them" thought, it won't work out here for you. Blend into the pot with everyone else and your life here will be a lot more enjoyable.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
The catch is its not the NE
Is really hard to say
Yes unless you live near your job or work opposite rush hour
Um LOL "rainbow" in a word Yes
??
*Is it tougher to find jobs as a black male when there are so many other black males down there vs. in the north where I am a commodity?
??
Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit VisitVisit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit and Visit some more!!!!!!! Dont trust anyones opinion but your own as to what is right for you. Have you ever been here? Why are you moving? What is it that you are looking for? This isnt the land of milk and money and THERE is NO BLACK Mecca. This is not NY or nothing even remotely close to NY so dont expect it. You really have to visit and see for yourself how you feel here. Its not for everyone (no place is). Read the other threads on here there is alot of helpful info already posted. And some of your questions may be answered from them

Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Ive been to the 'A' 4X in the last 4 months but its still hard to get a pulse on the city when your visiting because everything seems so 'peachy' (no pun intended). Im not expecting this to really be 'Black Hollywood'as some call it. Im looking a change of pace. A decent size city with beautiful woman, great climate, and a lot of things to do. I will probably have to take a pay cut but hopefully the cost of living will offset some of the difference. The people seem friendly for the most part but I have yet to visit College Park and Bankhead.....

Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Ive been to the 'A' 4X in the last 4 months but its still hard to get a pulse on the city when your visiting because everything seems so 'peachy' (no pun intended). Im not expecting this to really be 'Black Hollywood'as some call it. Im looking a change of pace. A decent size city with beautiful woman, great climate, and a lot of things to do. I will probably have to take a pay cut but hopefully the cost of living will offset some of the difference. The people seem friendly for the most part but I have yet to visit College Park and Bankhead.....
Are you looking for a change of pace or cheaper housing? I dont want to seem like I am going in on you but visiting and living is totally different unless of course you live in the places you visited(and liked). You need to really spell out your needs and what your expectations are. Are you trying to move to the surburbs or live in the city?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 PM

You're not 'going in' via e-mail...lol I stayed in Buckhead my last trip but from what Im hearing, its pretty costly. Ive heard Marietta and Smyrna are nice as well. I'd like to be close to city bc I am use to the hustle and bustle but a little quite at times doesnt hurt either. I heard the crime was high in Atlanta but honestly, its high here as well so thats not my biggest concern although Im no superhero. What are some things you could change about the city if you had the power?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:39 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
1.) There is no catch... Life is almost half the cost here. I mean everything: groceries, gas, utilities, insurance, you name it is cheaper. I'm thinking about moving to a luxuury condo downtown on capital for $900 a month on a 3 br... utilites are about 100 a month

2.) there is a price diffrence depending on you profession. For skilled positions like accounting, engineering, etc the demand is high and so the saleries may be slighly less, the same or slightly more. However the unions aren't stong so if you are unskilled... its market value which puts a lot of jobs below $15/ hour, and if they don't need you "bye bye"

3.) During rush hour it takes me an hour and a half to go 20 miles, but I go almost entirely through the connector. So yeah its bad.

4.) yeah gay people come here and flock.

5.) I don't know what that means

6.) I never had problems, but I'm a pro at this.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit VisitVisit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit Visit and Visit some more!!!!!!! Dont trust anyones opinion but your own as to what is right for you. Have you ever been here? Why are you moving? What is it that you are looking for? This isnt the land of milk and money and THERE is NO BLACK Mecca. This is not NY or nothing even remotely close to NY so dont expect it. You really have to visit and see for yourself how you feel here. Its not for everyone (no place is). Read the other threads on here there is alot of helpful info already posted. And some of your questions may be answered from them
dang man your making me dizzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta