Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 PM
EAA EAA started this thread

2 posts, read 8,841 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Maple Grove, Minnesota with my husband and we are thinking of moving in the next year, we have some few places in mind, Georgia, Virginia, Long Island Newyork or philadelphia. Georgia is at the top of my least, but am looking for an area a little bit like Maple Grove (nw suburb), but with a little diversity, $400- 500k home, good schools, not too far from downtown Atlanta. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 39,114 times
I encourage you to check out my hometown and home county...www.grantville.net and www.accesscoweta.com. The grantville site is my own site (I LOVE my hometown!) and the coweta site has a lot of great information. You'll also see me talking-up my town and this part of Georgia in other threads on this board.

Southwestern Georgia has some excellent cities to choose from and you can't beat it for variety. From here, you can easily get to the beach, the mountains, the "big city," the open country.

I lived most of my forty years in metro Atlanta (moved to Grantville in 2002) and I currently have family there and also in Virginia. I am happy to answer questions if you have specific concerns or curiousities.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:11 AM

196 posts, read 732,394 times
I would look at the Northeast side of Atlanta. About 20 miles from downtown in the area of Grayson, Loganville. This is where the newest suburbs are growing into. Lots of new homes and developments, excellent schools, and nice shopping and restaurants. Let me know if you would like to know more about these areas..

Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
I'm from Wisconsin, so I'm a little familiar with The Cities. Great area, but just too cold, which is why I'm here in Georgia.

If I'm not mistaken, Maple Grove is a suburb that's fairly close to Minneapolis with a lot of homes price $350,000 and upwards, as well as a commerical center with office and retail. I think that Dunwoody would probably be the best fit for you, as it shares a lot of similarities with Maple Grove.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Dunwoody is a good suggestion. You can get into there $400k - $500k, good schools (although not the best), maybe a 30 minute drive to Atlanta for work (farther in the evening), lots of shopping. I disagree with NE suburbs or Grantville. Grantville is about an hour commute from downtown and farther from Midtown or Buckhead. Loganville or Grayson are both even farther (because of traffic, not distance) and probably have too much diversity. Gwinnett County (where Grayson is) is one of the most diverse counties in the region.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 PM

88 posts, read 726,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAA View Post
I currently live in Maple Grove, Minnesota with my husband and we are thinking of moving in the next year, we have some few places in mind, Georgia, Virginia, Long Island Newyork or philadelphia. Georgia is at the top of my least, but am looking for an area a little bit like Maple Grove (nw suburb), but with a little diversity, $400- 500k home, good schools, not too far from downtown Atlanta. Any suggestions?
hey im from minnesota to......what part of maple grove do you live in?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:26 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
I was actually born in Edina (1975) and then my dad got transferred here to Atlanta a year later. We moved to Dunwoody (as did most transfers during that boom era) and I think it is a unique suburb in town b/c of that. I did not develop a Southern accent until I went to college (UGA) b/c so many of the families in D'woody were northern transplants. My mom still lives there and I just bought a house there b/c it's tough to find a better area (for me) in the metro area. I work downtown and it takes 30 minutes to commute (at 7am and 4pm), it's a wealthy area with a very powerful HOA that tries its best to ensure increasing property values. In terms of schools, two of the elementary schools are very highly rated (Austin and Vanderlyn), and hopefully the middle school (Peachtree) and high school (Dunwoody) will follow suit. A lot of areas try to pass off as part of D'woody, but the area I'm referring to is the very northern tip of Dekalb county, all north of interstate 285. There is actually a new boom to the area of 30-somethings like me who grew up here and are now moving back b/c of kids. In terms of houses, you will be hard pressed to find anything new, so either a renovated 1970's or 1980's house for $400-$600k or one that still needs work for $350-450k.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAA View Post
Heh. You folks will *LOVE* the cost of housing down here compared to the Twin Cities (my guess is that houses are 20%-30% less expensive here).

We paid roughly the same for an 18-year old 2500 sq ft 4br house in Mableton on a wonderful 0.4 acre wooded lot as we did for our 18-year-old 1400 sq ft townhouse in Eden Prairie with no trees. Not a bad trade at all!

You'll probably have to be more specific about what you're looking for -- the Atlanta metro is larger than the Twin Cities metro, traffic can be more of an issue down here (mainly due to organic suburb growth resulting in lots of winding roads with very few parallel routes), and there are areas in several counties which would probably meet your requirements.

I would seriously consider flying down and driving around for a while to get some idea of the lay of the land -- Atlanta housing seems to be organized into subdivisions of varying classifications (many of them gated or with walls but no gates), the country seems to provide far more services than counties do in Minnesota, and incorporated cities here have small boundaries and are normally separated by large areas of unincorporated territory even in the near suburbs. There are tax advantages to living in no-mans land. :-)

We rented a house down here for almost a year before buying. That gave us a lot of time to learn the ropes and figure out where we wanted to be, and it made the home-shopping process a lot more leisurely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta