Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 05:50 PM

14 posts, read 62,893 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Tributary at New Manchester subdivision near Douglasville at the end of June. Our son is a toddler, and we are on the hunt for quality child care within 5 miles of our home. His current daycare is affiliated with the University of California, Irvine and is really as close to perfect as they come. It's NAEYC-accredited with low ratios and turnover. The facility is clean, safe and secure with terrific outdoor play areas. The teachers are all trained in early childhood development, and they genuinely love children. More importantly, they genuinely love my son. This school is one of the few things I will miss when we leave Orange County, California.

I am looking for any recommendations for quality child care in or near Douglasville. In particular, I would enjoy hearing about your experiences (good and bad) with the following:
  • Montessori School of Douglas County
  • Kids ‘R’ Kids # 40 of Georgia (4300 Chapel Crossing)
  • Kids ‘R’ Kids # 9 of Georgia (2345 Pope Road)
  • Sunbrook Academy
  • Anneewakee Academy
  • Green Acres Preschool
(Although we have not ruled out the possibility of in-home child care, child care that is affiliated with religious institutions or nannies, we are not currently considering those options.)

Thank you very much for your help!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:37 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,138 times
My son (about 2 years old) attends Sunbrook Academy--I love it. They are currently pursuing NAEYC accreditation.

The turnover is pretty low. I've seen the same faces there since he started attending in August of last year. The teachers love what they do and don't just see it as a job. The owner as well as the center directors are very accessible via phone or email.

Things I love about Sunbrook:
-music and art classes weekly
-separate playgrounds for the older kids
-true learning takes place (not just 'watching your kids') I've come to sit in unannounced on a few classes and you'll see the kids learning letters, shapes, colors, working on projects, you name it. The teacher's lesson plans are posted weekly for parent perusal.
-it feels like a real school. Over spring break (the week before easter) the school held an easter egg hunt and each class had parties. There were so many parents there helping out, taking pictures, just supporting the teachers. It kind of reminds me of the PTA.
-the owner is accessible. She makes a point to remember something about everyone.
-the student body and staff is diverse. Sunbrook has kids from all walks of life enrolled, and I appreciate that because that's how the real world is. I don't want my son to think that the world is all black, all white, all affluent, or all working-class.
-They close at 7pm, and if you work late and would like them to feed your child a late snack, they'll do it. (you have to supply the snacks). They are also cognizant of food allergies, those who don't eat meat, etc.
-It really feels like one big family in my son's classroom. He loves his classmates, he loves his teachers, and I don't worry about him when I send him to school.

Things I don't particularly like about Sunbrook:
-*thinking* I really can't think of anything that I don't like! The FEW issues that I have had (for example, my son got sick and one of the center directors didn't call me until about an hour after he vomited..her rationale was he only threw up once, and she knew it was CRCT testing week and that I got off at 4:30, so she waited until 4 pm to call and just put him in the sick room in the meantime) were cleared up with open discussion.

I hope this helps!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Thank you so much - this helps a lot! I will definitely contact Sunbrook Academy.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:45 PM

40 posts, read 221,890 times
These centers are listed as accredited on the NAEYC website and are within a 5 mile radius of the Douglasville zipcode of 30135. Hope this is a help. Best wishes!

KinderCare Learning Center #642
6054 Central Church Road
Douglasville, GA 30135
Program ID Number: 293444
Email: 300642@klcorp.com
770-949-9424

Ninth District Opportunity Douglas Head Start
3833 Longview Dr
Douglasville, GA 30135
Program ID Number: 292589
Email: mclurkin@hemc.net
770-949-3717

Sheltering Arms Early Education Centers
3833 Longview Drive
Douglasville, GA 30135
Program ID Number: 292068
Email: dfrederick@shelteringarmsforkicls.com
770-949-3717

Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,519 times
Hi, I tried for only 3 days Kids R Kids at Chapel Hill Crossings and didn't like it at all. I took my daughter to Green Acres Pre School and love it. This is the first time my daughter (18 months) is being introduced to the daycare environment. The teachers and Owner, Patty Whitehead, are very loving and understand the transition my little one is going thru. She is already going for 3 weeks and is happy to be there. I have some peace of mind when I drop her here because I know she is well taken care of. I really recommend it. Also, this place has been voted the best pre school in Douglasville area for 2 years in a row. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Thank you, carmin15. For some reason, the national franchises frighten me a bit. Based on that and your experience with Kids R Kids, I believe they're off the list. I will definitely check out Green Acres - love their website. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta