Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM

14 posts, read 33,991 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother 32 years old looking to relocate. I am currently living in Indianapolis and thinking of moving to Georgia. I am trying to find out like the best places to move for me and my kids. I am looking for decent neighborhoods, without all the crime we have here. With good schools of course, and lots of different things to do. I do like to go out on occasion and I like to do lots of stuff with my kids. Like I said before I am single so I also want to be able to mingle. I most definetly need to be able to secure a job, and don't wanna have to be scared for my kids to go outside. I am however worried about congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:34 PM

268 posts, read 945,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msindy32 View Post
I am a single mother 32 years old looking to relocate. I am currently living in Indianapolis and thinking of moving to Georgia. I am trying to find out like the best places to move for me and my kids. I am looking for decent neighborhoods, without all the crime we have here. With good schools of course, and lots of different things to do. I do like to go out on occasion and I like to do lots of stuff with my kids. Like I said before I am single so I also want to be able to mingle. I most definetly need to be able to secure a job, and don't wanna have to be scared for my kids to go outside. I am however worried about congestion.

If we knew your price range and what part of town you planned on working in we could give you some options to consider.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM

30 posts, read 80,687 times
Right now I'm thinking that Decatur would be a good neighborhood for you. It's very kid friendly, and just a few miles from downtown Atlanta. Like PT 3000 said, hit us with some more details and we could recommend some locations. Good luck with your move!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM

651 posts, read 1,556,118 times
yeah, we need price range you are intrested in. 50k to 100k 100k to 150k? 150k to 250k 250k+?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,385,853 times
I would recommend that you secure a job before just moving down here unless you have a lot of money in savings. Even then I would make sure you have a job first. The job market is pretty rough down here, like I'm sure Indianapolis is. Looking for a job in a unfamiliar place would be very stressful. After you find a job down here the people on this board will be able to guide you as to the best places to live to limit your commute.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 AM

43 posts, read 117,909 times
I second Archan's comment about securing a job first. I looked for ten months before finally getting an offer this past week for a job in ATL so I am moving down. It can be done....just takes patience and time! Get the job then worry about which area to live in.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,535,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesideout View Post
I second Archan's comment about securing a job first. I looked for ten months before finally getting an offer this past week for a job in ATL so I am moving down. It can be done....just takes patience and time! Get the job then worry about which area to live in.
congratulations on the new job

Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 PM

156 posts, read 432,031 times
Why on earth would you want to raise kids in this town? My wife and I are thinking about having kids and can't imagine having them in this town. This city is by far the most violent and has the ugliest culture that I've ever lived in.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,977,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
Why on earth would you want to raise kids in this town? My wife and I are thinking about having kids and can't imagine having them in this town. This city is by far the most violent and has the ugliest culture that I've ever lived in.
Many parts of the Atlanta metro are just fine for raising kids.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM

156 posts, read 432,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many parts of the Atlanta metro are just fine for raising kids.
Sure, there are some. However, the crime statistics are horrible here, and the crime is spreading out to the burbs as the demographics change.

GA's schools also aren't exactly known for being top notch.

Based on my own experiences over the past several years and those of my friends who moved away to give their children a better life, you'd be quite silly to move here specifically for your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta