Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM

55 posts, read 92,531 times

Advertisements

I really don't think anyone can afford to "flock" anywhere right now. And yes these 55+ facilities are pricey, which Srs often might like but can no longer afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:42 PM

36 posts, read 147,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
I really don't think anyone can afford to "flock" anywhere right now. And yes these 55+ facilities are pricey, which Srs often might like but can no longer afford.
These 55+ facilities were not very spacious (for the price), either...square footage wise. Sure, seniors are downsizing. But for those who could afford these facilities would much prefer larger living spaces (and storage spaces) in general.

I don't know the quality of the planned activities these facilities offer, so I can't comment on that.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,182 times
Question Please stop the flocking...

What's this about retirees flocking to the ATL area? I'm a young, married guy from South Florida who is considering a move to the Alpharetta/Sandy Springs area... I have nothing against older people (except when they can no longer drive safely but do it anyway) I was just hoping to be around some people my own age, for once. Anyone have some insights on where the average age is going for the area?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stos View Post
What's this about retirees flocking to the ATL area? I'm a young, married guy from South Florida who is considering a move to the Alpharetta/Sandy Springs area... I have nothing against older people (except when they can no longer drive safely but do it anyway) I was just hoping to be around some people my own age, for once. Anyone have some insights on where the average age is going for the area?

You have nothing to worry about. What it means is that Atlanta has wide appeal and is a very livable place for many different age groups.

Atlanta is not becoming "Cocoon"...!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Alpharetta is a Family Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stos View Post
There are very few "older people" in Alpharetta. We are among them and have had trouble finding people our age. Mostly, I see married people ages 35-45 with kids. There is almost no nightlife and it is a family area. If you don't have kids, you might feel left out.

Don't know about Sandy Springs. Maybe someone else will post about it.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
There are very few "older people" in Alpharetta. We are among them and have had trouble finding people our age. Mostly, I see married people ages 35-45 with kids. There is almost no nightlife and it is a family area. If you don't have kids, you might feel left out.

Don't know about Sandy Springs. Maybe someone else will post about it.

Sandy Springs/Dunwoody are great places for singles (and families, and 55+!). Definitely more options in these areas for different types of lifestyles.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM

72 posts, read 174,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
They're becoming Ex-pats;

Mexico
Costa Rica
Belize

Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Nope, Atlanta is the place that is supposed to boom--especially to year 2030. I've read it more than once, but, since I can't seem to find any demographics that support this, am a little confused over where they would be then?
Interesting comment, Osmanthus, since a Florida realtor claims all the retirees are now flocking to Georgia (really...the realtor pm'd me this). And I agree with you that these 55+ places are really not cheap at all, but they do have built-in activities for people who need that sort of thing. I think folks that want a ready-made community like these 55+ places best, and nothing wrong with it IF you are willing to pay for it 'cause it's definitely not free. To each his own.
I just can't find where all these retirees are moving to since it has been in the paper and other articles that Atlanta is going to be one of THE retiree capitals soon, and the only paper I take is the Wall Street Journal which does have pretty decent information often ahead of others.
Once again...I haven't heard anything about this trend in Atlanta. I can see no evidence of it happening currently, and haven't read anything about this happening in the future. What exactly is your source for this information? Can you city some references please?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Once again...I haven't heard anything about this trend in Atlanta. I can see no evidence of it happening currently, and haven't read anything about this happening in the future. What exactly is your source for this information? Can you city some references please?

I have heard and read about retirement in Metro Atlanta--actually more than a trend.

Best neighborhoods to retire - Atlanta (35) - Money Magazine

5 Great Places to Live

Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I have heard and read about retirement in Metro Atlanta--actually more than a trend.

Best neighborhoods to retire - Atlanta (35) - Money Magazine

5 Great Places to Live
These are both from 2007.... I dont like or trust these lists (I mean in general). People need to just visit and see for themselves IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta