Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post

Atlanta is a black mecca and Atlanta will always be a black mecca given that it's located in the cradle of African American culture. That's not to say that others won't move here, but it will always be a place that many African Americans select to be closer to their ancestoral roots and also to enjoy the many cultural amenities that are geared towards them moreso than in other cities in the US.
How do you know Atlanta will always be a black mecca? You can't predict the future.

If your saying Atlanta is a black mecca because many blacks move here, then what if the cost of living in Atlanta becomes comparable to NYC or Chicago, making it hard to attract any type of middle class people to move here? What if the City of Atlanta, the spokesman for the whole region, loses its black majority, and then its black plurality? What if the region's growth in Asians and Hispanics grows to double the black growth rate? What if the black growth rate in another major southern city is larger than Atlanta's, like Charlotte?

If your saying that Atlanta is a mecca because its associations with black culture, then your basing that on popular perceptions. You must not realize that when many different types of people move to an area, they bring their culture with them. These relatively new cultural associations with the city have begun to change people's popular perceptions, and it will only intensify as more and more non-black minorities move here.

Atlanta is destined to become similar to NYC, Chicago, LA, cities with so much cultural and ethnic diversity that calling it a mecca for one group just sounds inaccurate.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Lightbulb Very Simple BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
How do you know Atlanta will always be a black mecca? You can't predict the future.

If your saying Atlanta is a black mecca because many blacks move here, then what if the cost of living in Atlanta becomes comparable to NYC or Chicago, making it hard to attract any type of middle class people to move here? What if the City of Atlanta, the spokesman for the whole region, loses its black majority, and then its black plurality? What if the region's growth in Asians and Hispanics grows to double the black growth rate? What if the black growth rate in another major southern city is larger than Atlanta's, like Charlotte?

If your saying that Atlanta is a mecca because its associations with black culture, then your basing that on popular perceptions. You must not realize that when many different types of people move to an area, they bring their culture with them. These relatively new cultural associations with the city have begun to change people's popular perceptions, and it will only intensify as more and more non-black minorities move here.

Atlanta is destined to become similar to NYC, Chicago, LA, cities with so much cultural and ethnic diversity that calling it a mecca for one group just sounds inaccurate.
Like south-to-west said in his post your quoted...Atlanta will always be a black mecca because and I quote...

"Atlanta is a black mecca and Atlanta will always be a black mecca given that it's located in the cradle of African American culture. That's not to say that others won't move here, but it will always be a place that many African Americans select to be closer to their ancestoral roots and also to enjoy the many cultural amenities that are geared towards them moreso than in other cities in the US."

Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Like south-to-west said in his post your quoted...Atlanta will always be a black mecca because and I quote...

"Atlanta is a black mecca and Atlanta will always be a black mecca given that it's located in the cradle of African American culture. That's not to say that others won't move here, but it will always be a place that many African Americans select to be closer to their ancestoral roots and also to enjoy the many cultural amenities that are geared towards them moreso than in other cities in the US."

Amen.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
And remember, being known as a "black mecca" (which basically means that Atlanta is a or the hub for African-American prosperity, businesses, culture, entertainment, etc)...is an asset to everyone and all ethnicities in Metro Atlanta.

It's what sets us apart on the international stage. Why would Atlanta, a major world/international now, strive to be Anycity/metropolis, USA?

Atlanta's distinguishing features:
-Trees/City in a Forest
-Capital/Primary City of American South
-Urban Manifestation of Southern Culture
-Black Mecca/Hub of African-American Culture
-Historical Center (think Civil War to Civil Rights)

Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
I'm going to take a crack at this since stating the obvious isn't enough for some people

Quote:

If your saying Atlanta is a black mecca because many blacks move here, then what if the cost of living in Atlanta becomes comparable to NYC or Chicago, making it hard to attract any type of middle class people to move here?
So for the Nth time, you fail to understand what the term "Mecca" means. A mecca is a cultural/political/economic construct for cities that exemplify the best of their type for a culture or ethnicity. It is completely unrelated to population.

Two very big examples of cities that do not have the largest of it's "mecca's" population type. The first is San Francisco. No would ever question whether or not San Fran is the "Gay Mecca", however GLBTs are not the majority of it's residents in the city or metro. New York City I believe holds the crown for the largest numerical amount of GLBTs. Most ironic of all is Mecca itself, which is the center of the Islamic world. Where is the largest Muslim city? Jakarta...in Indonesia...4,912 miles away.

Quote:
What if the City of Atlanta, the spokesman for the whole region, loses its black majority, and then its black plurality? What if the region's growth in Asians and Hispanics grows to double the black growth rate? What if the black growth rate in another major southern city is larger than Atlanta's, like Charlotte?
Insignificant for several reasons. One is the non-relation of population to "meccahood" I mentioned above, but look around the next time you go outside. This is already a multicultural city with people from all around world.

Atlanta being the "Black Mecca" is not synonymous with "If you aren't black you can not live or prosper here.", such an idea is preposterous given that even though the City of Atlanta has been a majority black city for long time now, the metro area and state itself have been majority white for even longer. If we were to apply your "if there the day comes when there are more people here from other ethnicities than blacks" rule, then that would mean that Atlanta would have never become the "Black Mecca" in the first place. Furthermore, there have been an incredible amount of whites, asians, and latinos who have become successful and have contributed to this becoming the city it is.

As aries pointed out, what makes Atlanta geographically the Black Mecca is it's location at the center of the Black Belt . Atlanta is at the center of this region that stretches from Mississippi to Southern Virginia. In other words, the African-American homeland. To make it easier for you, this area is the African-American equivalent of Ireland or Japan. African-American culture began in this region, and remains it's heart and soul even if there are black people elsewhere in America.

In tandem with this geographical fact, Atlanta was the first city in this region to become a true major city. If Birmingham, Mobile, Jackson, Columbia, Charlotte or a host of other cities had done the same, then chances are they would have become the "Black Mecca", but they didn't and probably won't.

The reason being is that, for the sake of argument, we say that Charlotte one day will become larger and more economic prosperous than Atlanta, it will lack the history that Atlanta has. It wasn't as if Atlanta crowned itself the black mecca. It has always had a very large, and very educated, Black middle and upper class. This is something that no other city in the South had during the segregation era.

In addition to that, Atlanta was the only city in this region that had the race relations that it did. Jim Crow was certainly in effect, but at the same time African-Americans were able to build their own economic kingdoms. Ever heard of Bronner Bros. or construction behemoth H.J. Russell? Both are only two examples of major African-American corporations founded in segregation era Atlanta.

Quote:
There is no misconception about Atlanta cultural symbiotic relationship with African-American culture. This city was the genesis pit of the modern Civil Rights movement and currently the one for African-American popular culture. This isn't to say that no other city has contributed greatly, but the focus is here now.

Beyond the neighborhoods of the city, the Atlanta University Center was the breeding ground for both movements. Through the doors of those five colleges and universities, people such as Martin Luther King jr, Spike Lee, Maynard Jackson, W.E.B. Dubois, Walter Massey (former President of Morehouse, former Director of the National Science Foundation, and current head of Bank of America), Alice Walker, and thousands of other individuals in all fields and political rank, were either educated or taught there. No other university on the planet even close to producing the amount of African-American talent that the AUC does.

Recently, popular African-American art, cinema, music, and other performing arts have all been centered here. Sure, L.A. and NYC have similar communities of African-American artists, but not to the level of Atlanta.

Quote:
No, that statement is inaccurate. Atlanta being the "Black Mecca" is just one of the things that makes Atlanta world city, not the only one. People from all over the world will continue to move to take advantage of the opportunities they can find here. To believe any different is to have thoughts not based in reality.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times
Well, either way, I think calling Atlanta a "black mecca" puts off a sense of exlusivity, and it disregards/ignores the many other groups that are moving here en masse.

It also is a term that orgininated during a time when black people were really the only minority group moving here in large numbers, and also during a time when Atlanta was a bi-ethnic region.

I suspect some people just don't like the idea of Atlanta being known for minorities other than just black people, or that another city could claim this "precious" title.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Well, either way, I think calling Atlanta a "black mecca" puts off a sense of exlusivity, and it disregards/ignores the many other groups that are moving here en masse.

It also is a term that orgininated during a time when black people were really the only minority group moving here in large numbers, and also during a time when Atlanta was a bi-ethnic region.

I suspect some people just don't like the idea of Atlanta being known for minorities other than just black people, or that another city could claim this "precious" title.
Wow, you really just don't get it. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the tenor of your previous posts....

Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 PM

446 posts, read 831,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaedunn View Post
...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!
This is a message board. A PUBLIC message board...people can say pretty much whatever they want to say as long as it's not an absolute insult. Though you may be insulted, what they said isn't an insult. It's opinions. If they're saying something you don't want to read then perhaps you ought not post on a PUBLIC message board.

Just a thought.

(and yes, I belong in this thread because I lived in ATL for 31 years.....figured you'd wonder.......)

Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. Everyone on here has indicated that it's not a problem for them--and it definitely isn't a problem for me. Now the question remains if it will be a problem for you.

Atlanta is a black mecca and Atlanta will always be a black mecca given that it's located in the cradle of African American culture. That's not to say that others won't move here, but it will always be a place that many African Americans select to be closer to their ancestoral roots and also to enjoy the many cultural amenities that are geared towards them moreso than in other cities in the US.
Why would it be a probelm for me? All I did was state the obvious. Many of my friends who happen to be gay tell me the same thing. So again I ask you why would it be a probelm for me?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,266 times
Quote:

Sounds like you hate Atlanta being a black mecca or anyone calling it a black mecca Others cultures will move in... we know that But even D.C is still known as chocolate city. I also believe thats not going to change Atlanta is going to be a black mecca for a long time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta