Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,179 times

Advertisements

I have now moved on from North Carolina (LOL) and am intrigued with the possiblity of thinking of Atlanta(alpharetta area in particular) for a possible relo.

If you notice on the NC threads you here ALOT about the transplants from the ny area and how they fare. Then you pop over to the NJ/NY threads and ere are even more posts about moving to NC..and whats even MORE interesting you read about how PEOPLE ARE MOVING BACK FROM NC back to NY as they realized "its not the promised land" for a variety of reasons.

I dont see that as much on the atlanta boards though..which is good.

But I would like to direct thread to those who lived in the TRI-State NY/nj...

IF you moved..do you want to to move back, is atlanta all its cracked up to be, or was it the best move. Why did you move anyway...okay taxes and home costs..but is your quality of life really that much better.

It seems as though the housing prices are a "little" better..but its not dirt cheap like people in talk about in the carolinas..but it does seem atlanta is more cosmopolitan? No offense to any carolinians...I am just making my own observations on the what I read.

What gives...what makes atlanta a better choice over Charlotte, lets say....and do you want to move back because its not all its cracked up to be.

I am seriousely thinking in the next year to make a move...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
I'm surprised that you consider Atlanta home prices to be only "a little" better than NJ/NY. Granted they're not quite as cheap as Charlotte, but they're still an incredible bargain.

We just bought a 4 BR, 2.5 BA home in Canton (that will be finished in August), that came in at just under $300k. That includes the $240k base price for around 2,300 SF, $5k for a larger lot with a beautiful view (our backyard is the size of our entire NJ lot), $35k for a full walkout basement, and around $20k in options. This house in NJ would be $600-700k, if you could even find someone to build a home that size (in most places you end up having to build 3-4,000 SF to offset the crazy land costs and development fees).

The house we're selling in NJ for around $330k is just under 1,000 SF, 3 BR, 1 BA, built in 1952 in the Iselin section of Woodbridge in central NJ.

The new house is in a planned community with two lakes, a community center with a fulltime activities director, tennis courts, two pools, and a playground. We had none of that in NJ, unless you count the beat up playground and soccer field at the middle school down the street....lol.

My commute to work will be approximately the same distance and time as it is in NJ (on the days that I have to go into the office), so there's no real difference there. However, I get to come home to a far better place where my kids can play in the backyard, in the street, or at the community center, vs having to worry about the cars doing 45 mph down the 25 mph street we currently live in.

My taxes will be approximately $3,300/year, vs the $5,300/year we currently pay (which is a bargain compared to most places in NJ).

Ohh- and I can sell my snowblower....lol.

I'm not saying that Atlanta is "perfect", but it has a lot to offer.

Bob

Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM

43 posts, read 219,035 times
We moved from Milford PA, (borders Orange county NY) to Northern Forsyth county Georgia,(Gumming area) about 2 years ago. We just put our house on the market, as we are planning on moving back. We like some things about it in GA, but for the most part, really didn't care for it. The traffic here is a nightmare. The roads are not set up to handle the influx of people, and although they are trying to improve it in some areas, I just don't see them keeping up at all. I've personally seen 2 accidents happen since I have been here, and drive by numerous others, almost daily. Back in NY, when a town was becoming overcrowded, the township would enforce a building moratorium, to stop developers from creating any new subdivisions until the town could take the necessary steps to prepare for the influx of people.
We also moved here for cheaper taxes, and while they are still a little cheaper than back north, they have gone up each year, and are fast approaching what we were paying back in PA. I guess someone has to pay for all of the new schools that are being built. The schools in this area do seem pretty good.
We got a shock when my son joined the soccer team down here, and found out that we would have to pick him up after school ever day at 6:00 PM. The school is 15 minutes away, but with the traffic, it was usually a 1 hour round trip. The shock came from the fact that back north, all of the schools ran late buses for after school activities, so your child always had transportation if they had to stay after school for any reason. This has caused many headaches for my wife and I, trying to figure out who would be able to pick up the kids. I guess you get what you pay for. (Cheaper taxes).
The weather is great here over the winter, compared to up north, but the summer is long and hot for us northerners.
There is no small town feel down here. Everything is a subdivision, with houses crammed in. They all kind of look the same after a while. Then you go to town, and it is just like the one next to it with Wahl-Mart, Kohl's, McDonald's, and so on and so on.
If I have one more person ask me where I go to church, I think I will scream!!!. That usually comes before hello down here. It's almost like a cult thing, the way they want you to join there churches.
Illegal immigrants are all over. Sometimes I think I have crossed a border.
I am a blue collar worker, and the pay is terrible down here compared to up North. Teachers, Fireman, Police, etc.. seem to make a lot less money down here.
One thing that we will really miss, is Lake Lanier. It is a beautiful lake and we have had lots of fun on it.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM

HMNnnn very very different viewpoints. me and dh are both IT techies(I am more finance)...and we would never move "cold turkey"..we are not that adventurous! And I *gulp* personally love subdivisions as a i grew up in one and loves having the backyard, neighbors, and bbqs....and okay I am soccer mom so I like having the bix box stores near me..LOL.

Has far as home prices...yes they are less, I do see that. WE have large family, so 5 bedrooms and 3 baths (all girls--lol) is a minimum requirement.

Also I havent done a statistical analysis on the pricing, as I am just starting my research..but yes I do see a price difference..I was just looking for feedback on the "other day to day stuff".

And how it compares to the charlotte area

Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,208 times
It's growing on me now that I think that I may be closing in on a job soon. And one with a not too bad commute at that.

And by the way it's New Jerseyans.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 PM

So you are moving up to Jersey....may I dare ask..why the bold move...I dont live there...dh works there..but thats pretty cool....hey whatever floats your boat right?

Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
It really depends on what you want. Atlanta does not have the big city feel that New York city has. In fact, no other city is like New York in US. So if you want that, you probably will be disappointed. There is limited public transportation since state of Georgia don't support MARTA.

As for housing, if you want to buy established neighborhood, not one of new developing neighorhoods, the housing price is not very cheap. Nice intown housing is even more expensive since traffic here is big problem.

There are disproportionally number of northern transplants in North Fulton and West Gwinnett area due to good schools and family oriented environment. You should be ok if you just pick one of those areas.

Charlotte is smaller version of Atlanta, but New York/New Jersey/CT folks have moved to Atlanta for decades. There is less so in Charlotte. Probably there is less surprised in Atlanta.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:44 PM

yes.. fulton schools and alpharetta seems to be the desired choice based on schools...again just a newbie looking for ideas...I am certainly NOT looking for a nyc feel..just enough of a city in case you want to dine in a nice restaurant..but dont want to be out in the boonies either... I am not a native new yorker...but from so california...so I am used to issues regarding traffic.

all in all..just looking for a warmer weather climate...a little bit of a city atmosphere....and good suburbs around....I know its not alot to ask right? LOL

Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
So you are moving up to Jersey....may I dare ask..why the bold move...I dont live there...dh works there..but thats pretty cool....hey whatever floats your boat right?
Who me? If it was me you were asking I moved to Douglas County from New Jersey in March.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 PM

So far what do you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta