U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM

200 posts, read 686,671 times
I'd guesstimate 9 out of 10 drivers do not come to a complete halt at that stop sign, perhaps because it was formerly a yield sign.

When I STOP there before turning onto Clairmont (about 5 times a day), I also watch in the rear view mirror for drivers following close behind, so I don't get rear-ended!

Please warn your family, friends, neighbors, and visitors that there is a traffic trap at North Druid Hills and Clairmont Rd.

But, even if they stop completely, as I did, they still may be unfairly snared and ticketed.

I do not believe this particular traffic trap has to do with ensuring public safety, but rather everything to do with generating extra revenue for Dekalb County.

How sad is that our County has to raise money in such a manner?

Why am I upset over $45? I have the money, unlike some poor souls in this city.

I'm upset because it felt like armed robbery, but by the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM

2,767 posts, read 2,248,698 times
I have mixed feelings on this subject. It sucks that Dekalb would go to such cheap maneuvers like changing signs to raise revenue, but at the same time people drive like major league jerks these days.

It seem like everyone is in such a rush to get to work or some other place like they are only the ones who matter. When I see someone who is dangerously riding my bumper in traffic, I think myself: "what a nitwit. If I suddenly brake right now, you'd be the one seriously injured, or even dead, and you would be easily replaced at your job the next day."

I wish that people would keep that in mind when they get on the road. Not only are you not important in the grand scheme of things, if you died today because you possess poor driving skills, someone else would take your place tomorrow.

I'd say, slow down, relax, and enjoy life. The place that you are going to will still be there.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM

88 posts, read 147,634 times
The Georgia Department of Transportation has a camera at the intersection of North Druid Hills and Clairmont. Unfortunately, it's not working at the time I type this, and I can't remember if it covers the turning area involved in your incident. I have absolutely no idea if it could help you in any way, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Georgia Navigator :: Cameras (http://www.georgia-navigator.com/cameras/deka - broken link)

Old 12-11-2009, 10:55 AM

1,535 posts, read 821,227 times
I hate to be the barrier of bad news, but the $45 your referring to will be $137. I got stopped for going through a 4 way stop sign maybe 1mph at the most and and 2 other people i know got a ticket for that too and there citation was $137 also. I was pulled over in Stn Mtn area though, so dont know if it will be any different but your ticket will be way more than $45.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM

200 posts, read 686,671 times
Thanks for the heads up about the camera at the North Druid Hills/Clairmont intersection.

...and the probable cost of the traffic ticket...Goodness! It's an ever bigger scam on the part of Dekalb County than I initially imagined.

They do not tell you what the cost of the ticket is when it is written. You must wait until they enter it into the computer system and then you call a week later to find out.

By the way, I'm never in a rush when driving. I leave well before I need to arrive anywhere. That way, I don't need ever speed or bend the rules because I have plenty of time, even if traffic snarls.

I expect unfair police treatment in some of the third world countries where the US military sent us, but I was not mentally prepared to experience it on from the Dekalb County Police on Clairmont Avenue in Decatur, GA.

For all who pass through that corridor, the traffic trap is on your right, heading south, in front of the REMAX office (just before Shephard Pathways, a rehab center).

The traffic trap is there most week days and I frequently see police vehicles positioned there at night too.

I honestly don't know how you can protect yourself from being tagged to fill someone's traffic ticket quota. Even if you fully stop at the stop sign, you are at risk.

Shame on the Dekalb County (for the illogical sign change).

And, shame on the Dekalb County Police Department for stooping to such unseemly means to raise revenue by molesting their own peaceful, law-abiding, taxpaying, respectful citizens. We deserve better from our public safety officers.

Global Nomad

Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,011,392 times
Maybe someone should e-mail the "Commuter Dude" at 11Alive about this..........

11Alive.com | Atlanta, GA | Commuter Dude

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,909,563 times
FYI, GDOT cameras are not recorded...It may have changed but I doubt with this economy...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
CEO BURRELL ELLIS NEED TO BE VOTED OUT OF OFFICE . HE IS A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH THAT I ATTEND AND I HELPED HIS CAMPAIGN. I HATE THAT I DID. I WILL ENCOURAGE MY FELLOW MEMBERS TO VOTE HIM OUT OF OFFICE. HE HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT IN DEKALB COUNTY. hE ALLOWS THESE POLICE TO HARASS THE CITIZEN AND NOT PROTECT THE CITIZEN BECAUSE OF LOW REVENUE. I WAS GIVEN A TICKET FOR DRIVING AROUND A STRANDED SEMI THAT WAS BLOCKING TWO LANES ON A HIGHWAY NEAR MY HOME. I DROVE OFF THE ROADWAY WHILE THE OFFICER SAT HIS ASS IN THE CAR AND WAITED UNTIL I WENT AROUND THE SEMI. I CONTACTED HIS SUPV AND THE EXCUSE FOR HIM NOT DIRECTING TRAFFIC WAS BECAUSE IT WAS COLD !!!! PLEASE VOTE ELLIS OUT OF OFFFICE AND VOTE HIS CABINET OUT AS WELL AND LET THEM AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS GET HARASSED BY DEKALB CO POLICE !!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,205,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
There is a well-known, well-established traffic trap in the Decatur area where we live as you turn right off North Druid Hills onto Clairmont (heading south toward the VA Hospital and Emory University).

There is a stop sign, yet many drivers treat it as a yield sign without coming to a full stop.

I ALWAYS make sure I come to a complete stop.

If other family members are driving, I ALWAYS remind them to come a complete stop.

When I saw the police car parked at his usual spot on Clairmont, I thought nothing about it as I expect him to be there...until he turned on his flashing lights and pulled me over.

I politely told the policeman I did not roll through the stop sign, but he wrote a citation anyway (which in some ways is pretty funny as I'm an exceedingly careful, cautious, law abiding, non-speeding driver who abides by all stop signs, yellow lights, speed signs, much to the annoyance of non-law abiding drivers).

I have the utmost respect for our public service officers, but this is the first time in my life I find myself accused of something I didn't actually do (I have no problem owning up or paying up when I do make a mistake; however, in 40 years of driving, I've never received a ticket).

In the future, I will view our police with more skepticism as I have seen with my own eyes that they can abuse their power as public service officers and there's probably not much average citizens can do about it.

There are far more important issues in the world than a policeman with a daily traffic ticket quota to fulfill, but it erodes the quality of life in our community and respect for our institutions.

Global Nomad
That particular turn is a notorious ticket trap. The underlying problem, however, is that it's a bad design: The ramp comes in at too sharp of an angle, and multiple trees block the line of sight. So, unfortunately, until DeKalb County finally redesigns it, that right turn pretty much has to have a stop sign.

Thing is, by the way, that it's only going to take one person coming down Clairmont to get seriously injured and sue the county, to quite possibly erase all the ticket revenue from that turn.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM

126 posts, read 143,305 times
The spot in question did in fact used to have a yield sign though I suspect that its now a stop sign given that relatively few actually yielded anyway. Pedestrians crossing ND Hills were almost never yielded to even when they had the right of way. They had to make it a stop sign just to get people to slow down at all. I'm not sure what makes this such a unique intersection or why it was such a huge problem for people to respect what was a clearly posted yield sign. Even now most treat the stop sign simply as a yield while others just blast through as if they have the right of way. Rolling stops are against the law even if you have been getting away with it for years or even decades. Two of the more common (and futile) complaints when people get a citation are "but I've been doing this for years and its never been a problem" and/or " well, everyone else does it too". Rarely does either statement make an impression on the law enforcement officer writing the ticket. They makes even less of an impression on a traffic court judge who ,on a good day, is likely to chuckle if you show up with this kind of "defense strategy".

Last edited by Somoso; 01-12-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta