U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM

152 posts, read 237,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
There is a stop sign, yet many drivers treat it as a yield sign without coming to a full stop.

I ALWAYS make sure I come to a complete stop.

If other family members are driving, I ALWAYS remind them to come a complete stop.

When I saw the police car parked at his usual spot on Clairmont, I thought nothing about it as I expect him to be there...until he turned on his flashing lights and pulled me over.
Sorry you had got popped. I've also been a victim of overly-aggressive ticket writing law enforcement (albeit it another part of town). But this intersection is pretty well-known for people barely yielding let alone stopping so its little surprise that the police have made it a "project". Pedestrians do walk across ND Hills Rd and many times the drivers who should be stopping rarely acknowledge the pedestrian. I'm betting this has something to do with the increased surveillance and attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM

947 posts, read 2,181,730 times
Thanks for the heads up...

Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 536 times
This intersection is one of the most hazardous in metro Atlanta. Two right turn lanes, separated by an island with overgrown landscaping which obscures the inside right turning lane from the vision of the outside right turning lane. This outside, far right lane has a stop sign and yields to an inside right turning lane that has the right of way because it has either a green light or right on red option. Is that even legal? Everyone rolls through the stop sign because none of the inside turn lane drivers signal that they are turning and you need to get through as fast as you can because you risk that inside lane making a turn into your rear end. Nowhere else does an inside right turning lane at a four way intersection have right of way over the far right lane. The set up is totally counter intuitive, dangerous and unnerving (unless you are Dekalb county and want a revenue producing traffic ticket trap). All these years I thought the tickets were for the inside lane turning right!!!

SOLUTION: If Dekalb cares about road safety, put up a "no right hand turn" sign on the inside lane and those drivers can get in line behind the rest of us safety conscious drivers in the far right lane and wait their turn. If you want traffic to stop, then give the far right lane a traffic light to flow with the rest of the intersection. Use the template of the intersection at Roswell Rd and Piedmont. No problems there. We are not going to the moon here, just get us around the corner, for crying out loud!

TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY: There are TWO pedestrian crossings in that far right lane, about eight feet apart. The one AT the stop sign is mostly worn off. The one BEFORE (about four feet) the stop sign is fresh and I would consider that crosswalk to be the stopping point for the sign since there is no other marking. Any closer to the sign and you will be stopping ON the crosswalk. Stopping at that crosswalk is not even visible to the officer hiding around the corner giving tickets.

Ask those ticket giving officers how they feel about giving out tickets there. They will tell you it is demeaning and humiliating to their uniform. Dekalb, get it together. Take all the money you collected for tickets at that intersection and use it to fix it. You are penalzing your citizens for your ineptitude.

Last edited by safedrivingexpert; 08-22-2012 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: grammer spelling and clarification

Old 08-02-2017, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 757 times
Smile I agree....why aren't they looking for the seriously dangerous drivers?!

I agree! There are many more things that need to be watched other than people who may make a small driving mistake. I see people weaving in and out of traffic or driving erratic and they never get stopped!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
There is a well-known, well-established traffic trap in the Decatur area where we live as you turn right off North Druid Hills onto Clairmont (heading south toward the VA Hospital and Emory University).

There is a stop sign, yet many drivers treat it as a yield sign without coming to a full stop.

I ALWAYS make sure I come to a complete stop.

If other family members are driving, I ALWAYS remind them to come a complete stop.

When I saw the police car parked at his usual spot on Clairmont, I thought nothing about it as I expect him to be there...until he turned on his flashing lights and pulled me over.

I politely told the policeman I did not roll through the stop sign, but he wrote a citation anyway (which in some ways is pretty funny as I'm an exceedingly careful, cautious, law abiding, non-speeding driver who abides by all stop signs, yellow lights, speed signs, much to the annoyance of non-law abiding drivers).

I have the utmost respect for our public service officers, but this is the first time in my life I find myself accused of something I didn't actually do (I have no problem owning up or paying up when I do make a mistake; however, in 40 years of driving, I've never received a ticket).

In the future, I will view our police with more skepticism as I have seen with my own eyes that they can abuse their power as public service officers and there's probably not much average citizens can do about it.

There are far more important issues in the world than a policeman with a daily traffic ticket quota to fulfill, but it erodes the quality of life in our community and respect for our institutions.

Global Nomad

Old 08-02-2017, 01:15 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safedrivingexpert View Post
This intersection is one of the most hazardous in metro Atlanta. Two right turn lanes, separated by an island with overgrown landscaping which obscures the inside right turning lane from the vision of the outside right turning lane. This outside, far right lane has a stop sign and yields to an inside right turning lane that has the right of way because it has either a green light or right on red option. Is that even legal? Everyone rolls through the stop sign because none of the inside turn lane drivers signal that they are turning and you need to get through as fast as you can because you risk that inside lane making a turn into your rear end. Nowhere else does an inside right turning lane at a four way intersection have right of way over the far right lane. The set up is totally counter intuitive, dangerous and unnerving (unless you are Dekalb county and want a revenue producing traffic ticket trap). All these years I thought the tickets were for the inside lane turning right!!!

SOLUTION: If Dekalb cares about road safety, put up a "no right hand turn" sign on the inside lane and those drivers can get in line behind the rest of us safety conscious drivers in the far right lane and wait their turn. If you want traffic to stop, then give the far right lane a traffic light to flow with the rest of the intersection. Use the template of the intersection at Roswell Rd and Piedmont. No problems there. We are not going to the moon here, just get us around the corner, for crying out loud!

TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY: There are TWO pedestrian crossings in that far right lane, about eight feet apart. The one AT the stop sign is mostly worn off. The one BEFORE (about four feet) the stop sign is fresh and I would consider that crosswalk to be the stopping point for the sign since there is no other marking. Any closer to the sign and you will be stopping ON the crosswalk. Stopping at that crosswalk is not even visible to the officer hiding around the corner giving tickets.

Ask those ticket giving officers how they feel about giving out tickets there. They will tell you it is demeaning and humiliating to their uniform. Dekalb, get it together. Take all the money you collected for tickets at that intersection and use it to fix it. You are penalzing your citizens for your ineptitude.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8126...7i13312!8i6656

I'm all about trees, but those two trees on that traffic island need to GO. They shouldn't be replaced by anything but grass.

In fact, turns obstructed by trees, bushes, or signs are a big problem around here. I've seen people have to practically pull out into the intersection just so they can see far enough to make a right turn.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 472,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8126...7i13312!8i6656

I'm all about trees, but those two trees on that traffic island need to GO. They shouldn't be replaced by anything but grass.

In fact, turns obstructed by trees, bushes, or signs are a big problem around here. I've seen people have to practically pull out into the intersection just so they can see far enough to make a right turn.
That is a really odd intersection. I think I've seen it but never really paid it much attention but thats complete B.S. - That needs to be a yield with a right of way when the light is green and yes the trees need to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or