U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM
 
8,617 posts, read 11,310,501 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post


Good videos...but I want to tell that lady in the first video, Atlanta does have a defining, significant physical feature...trees and urban forest!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
 
713 posts, read 771,098 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good videos...but I want to tell that lady in the first video, Atlanta does have a defining, significant physical feature...trees and urban forest!

I'm pretty sure she means "defining" in the sense of impacting how the city develops like a waterfront. I don't know that trees qualify as a physical feature anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 08:24 PM
 
8,617 posts, read 11,310,501 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I'm pretty sure she means "defining" in the sense of impacting how the city develops like a waterfront. I don't know that trees qualify as a physical feature anyway.

Well, one can interpret the way they want.


I think having a major world/international metropolis spring from a dense urban forest is very "defining."


And I think Atlanta can definitely use trees/urban forest to impact city development...


http://www.history.com/content/cityofthefuture/regional-winners/atlanta (broken link)

http://cityintheforest.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,015,816 times
Reputation: 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Understood...and I agree--But, being a native, I just feel (in terms of transit), Atlanta has always "planned" so much but then...
Just like countless other cities... It's fairly to common for cities to plan aggressively, but only a small percentage of plans ever materialize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 PM
 
8,617 posts, read 11,310,501 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Just like countless other cities... It's fairly to common for cities to plan aggressively, but only a small percentage of plans ever materialize.

I know...and that what scares me. It would be a shame if the transit piece is not part of that "small percentage" and it never materializes.


(This has been the root in my mind while I've been making all of these comments...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,015,816 times
Reputation: 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I know...and that what scares me. It would be a shame if the transit piece is not part of that "small percentage" and it never materializes.


(This has been the root in my mind while I've been making all of these comments...)
From everything that I've read and heard, the transit portion of the Beltline is alive and well...and very much on track (so to speak).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,401 posts, read 6,252,813 times
Reputation: 3573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
From everything that I've read and heard, the transit portion of the Beltline is alive and well...and very much on track (so to speak).
And like you said, building a new transit system takes a long time. Just for a comparison, MARTA was proposed in the mid 1950s. Then it was official enacted in 1965. It wasn't until 1971 when Dekalb and Fulton voted to approve funding it. Construction began in 1975, and the first subway stations didn't open until 1979. The last station of the current system was completed in 2000. That's 50 years to get the current system we have now.

The fact that the Beltline has gone from a graduate student's thesis in 1999, to actual capitol building 10 years later is something of a minor miracle in the public works world.

Not to mention, if you think we have it bad just google the Second Avenue subway line in NYC. That project has been going on for almost a century now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 AM
 
8,617 posts, read 11,310,501 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
From everything that I've read and heard, the transit portion of the Beltline is alive and well...and very much on track (so to speak).
That's good to hear (keeping my fingers crossed...)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
 
713 posts, read 771,098 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Well, one can interpret the way they want.


I think having a major world/international metropolis spring from a dense urban forest is very "defining."


And I think Atlanta can definitely use trees/urban forest to impact city development...


Regional Winners - City of the Future (http://www.history.com/content/cityofthefuture/regional-winners/atlanta - broken link)

City in the Forest: Atlanta 2108
Right. And I'm just interpreting it as the person in the video meant it which was in the sense of "defining" how the city is developed rather than "defining" Atlanta. Trees do not influence where development happens or the type of development in a particular area the way a physical feature would, since there are trees all over the metro.

Last edited by J2rescue; 12-13-2009 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top