Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 PM

63 posts, read 250,854 times

Advertisements

I would trust WSB Radio's Kirk Melhuish, but I guess he has a face for radio and not TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:13 AM

113 posts, read 311,331 times
I think some of the weekend meteorologists are a bit more knowledgeable, particularly Brad Nitz at WSB and Chris Holcomb at 11Alive. Maybe weekend ratings don't matter as much and the stations can actually get people on who know the weather. I think this holds true in other markets also, especially in Wash DC where the weeknight weather people are terrible but the weekend ones are much better (I lived there for 4 yrs)

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techugagrad View Post
I would trust WSB Radio's Kirk Melhuish, but I guess he has a face for radio and not TV.
Kirk is great, as is Scott Slade (AM 750 Morning News Show host).

Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
I would say that Atlanta, Georgia isn't like the weather in the northeastern United States. Sure, there are some extreme occurences like the tornado that struck downtown Atlanta in March of last year or the once-in-a-lifetime/500 year floods that occurred in September this year.... but other than that, Atlanta weather is very predictable, relatively timid, and boring.

We gotta spice things up somehow, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Is anyone else frustrated with the state of TV weather meteorologists in Atlanta? People like Paul Ossman and Dagmar Midcap really aren't meteorologists as much as they are entertainers. They really don't seem to have a clue when they forecast the weather and it looks like they're going through the motions most of the time. I don't want to hear a 40% chance of rain or what the model shows. Any idiot or robot can tell me that. They're basically ripping off the National Weather Service forecast when they do that. Don't they have their own opinion on what might happen? I guess not. I actually want them to give a weather forecast. I want to know where a storm is coming from and why a storm that caused snow in Houston completely missed Atlanta but somehow regenerated over Tennessee. They seem unable to tell me anything but what a damn computer model says. I guess I have higher standards for TV weatherpeople, growing up in the Northeast, where weather forecasting is really a science, and they do a much better job of explaining weather to you.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
As it was once explained to me: "Weather-casters all get their information from the National Weather Service...and they are free to misinterpret it as they wish."

Atlanta weather is predictably unpredictable...mountains sometimes cut off systems or channel in others(the famous 'wedge'). Glen and Ken and others are pretty good at emergency broadcasting; some of the new radar systems are incredible. I always found it interesting that the weather feature on each channel was during the exact same 8-minute segment(so it was tough to switch station to station to get differing forecasts).

I wish we had a 'Dagmar' out here in Central Texas. We have the same 'systems are on the way but may fizzle out' type weather here, along with the same 'hot, getting hotter' summer forecasts(except here...it's REALLY hot). Dagmar would go a ways toward a more interesting weather segment(and I mean that in only the most complimentary way). We had to settle for Tyler Sieswerda(former ATL newscaster) instead of the 'eye candy', as someone put it.

Carry on, y'all...hope you get a chance to dry out soon!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:49 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
My girlfriend is a local meteorologist and once worked for the Weather Channel, so I know a lot about the business. I will agree with most of you about the fact that there are a lot of weather presenters out there and not Meteorologist. there is a reason they don't call Dagmar a Chief Metorologist. My girlfriend laughs at her forcast everytime she is in town lol. The news business period(Not just Meteorologist) is all about looks and personality. If you can bring in the rating, your hired.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
What about Karen Minton on WSB in the AM?
All she does is the weather and quite frankly she has better panning hands across the map than Vanna on Wheel of Fortune.

As for Dagmar, you have to admit she sure as heck does not look like her name I was expecting a large Amazonian Woman with a giant hairy mole on her chin.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
All she does is the weather and quite frankly she has better panning hands across the map than Vanna on Wheel of Fortune.
Some say that about Paul Ossmann, too. LOL

Quote:
As for Dagmar, you have to admit she sure as heck does not look like her name I was expecting a large Amazonian Woman with a giant hairy mole on her chin.
Dagmar is misleading. For the first while I watched her, I imagined that when she goes home at night, she puts on an apron with ruffles around the edges, and bakes cookies and watches HGTV. She just almost has that 1950s gal aura about her. Well, I ran into someone who knows her down the line, and he said she's an incredibly nice woman, but can tell a dirty joke that will make a sailor run home to his mom crying. LOL. Apparently she has a very "blunt" sense of humor, and you would never have guessed that by watching her and listening to her voice.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:59 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
I do like Karen and I have just about recovered from that ghastly spiked hairdo that she sported years ago.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:14 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do like Karen and I have just about recovered from that ghastly spiked hairdo that she sported years ago.
Yeah! I don't know who her hairdresser is but she needs to find a new one. Maybe Dwight from Housewives of Atlanta can give her a good doo
With Karen I quote the movie Ghost. "Girl! watcha do with dat hair!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta