U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 16,812,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Speaking of Monica Pearson, wasn't she married before? I know that Kaufmann was her last name previously, but it seemed to have been a big deal that she changed her last name, but this all happened well before I moved here.
I believe that Monica is currently married to DH #4...as memory serves, Mr. Kaufman was #2...hence the name change.
BTW, our daughters were at the Canterbury School at the same time, so I got to know her a little. Lovely woman, inside and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:05 AM

7,732 posts, read 6,664,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I believe that Monica is currently married to DH #4...as memory serves, Mr. Kaufman was #2...hence the name change.
BTW, our daughters were at the Canterbury School at the same time, so I got to know her a little. Lovely woman, inside and out.
She IS a lovely woman.

I'm assuming you're speaking of her daughter Claire......I used to run into them all the time around Ansley Mall, along with her cute schnauzer Mr. Basil, when she still lived in town (early 90's).

Very approachable, sweet lady. She's originally from Louisville, btw.

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:20 AM

12,017 posts, read 16,812,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
She IS a lovely woman.

I'm assuming you're speaking of her daughter Claire......I used to run into them all the time around Ansley Mall, along with her cute schnauzer Mr. Basil, when she still lived in town (early 90's).

Yes I am, and she is now a resident of DeKalb County (Toco Hills area, as I understand it).

Unread 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM

2,530 posts, read 3,343,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
She IS a lovely woman.

That's good to hear. She's a broadcasting legend around here, but she doesn't seem to let it get to her head.

There is another anchor on that station that I had a mad crush on for years, but I heard too many unflattering stories about her off-the-air, and that sort of threw me for a loop.

I sort of know Portia Bruner over at WAGA in a round-about sort of way. I used to intern at a TV station that she used to work for about a decade ago. Her husband is a dentist who happened to go to dental school where my aunt works, so she knew them too. Sweet lady, very friendly too.

Unread 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM

9,093 posts, read 19,500,351 times
One of the more controversial Weather guys in Atlanta was channel 2's Russ Minshew who was on their team from around 1982 to 1986.

I remember going to a Channel 2 open house where you could meet the anchors, and when I met Minshew and shook my hand, he "tickled" the palm of my hand during the shake. I thought that was an odd way to shake hands, but being new to this area, figured it was a "Southern thing". Later, I was informed by my boss what it really meant. Ok, duh, I was dumb and 18. A few months after this, Minshew was arrested near Columbus for allegedly picking up a couple of male teen hitchhikers and "soliciting" things from them. He never returned back to the station in Atlanta. He was found not guilty due to various complications according to reports, but basically channel 2 told him to resign and never come back. He later died in Pensacola, Florida due to brain cancer.

Unread 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

8,372 posts, read 10,478,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
One of the more controversial Weather guys in Atlanta was channel 2's Russ Minshew who was on their team from around 1982 to 1986.

I remember going to a Channel 2 open house where you could meet the anchors, and when I met Minshew and shook my hand, he "tickled" the palm of my hand during the shake. I thought that was an odd way to shake hands, but being new to this area, figured it was a "Southern thing". Later, I was informed by my boss what it really meant. Ok, duh, I was dumb and 18. A few months after this, Minshew was arrested near Columbus for allegedly picking up a couple of male teen hitchhikers and "soliciting" things from them. He never returned back to the station in Atlanta. He was found not guilty due to various complications according to reports, but basically channel 2 told him to resign and never come back. He later died in Pensacola, Florida due to brain cancer.
I remember something about offering $20 to two boys to get in his car...

Russ Minshew's incident and resignation opened the way for Glenn Burns to become the main weatherman. Russ was the main one...

Unread 12-14-2009, 01:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,055,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I remember something about offering $20 to two boys to get in his car...

Russ Minshew's incident and resignation opened the way for Glenn Burns to become the main weatherman. Russ was the main one...
As I recall, Guy Sharpe had a bit of controversy swirling about him, as well. This goes back to the early 80s. 666 and all that.

And wasn't there another news/weather dude who flew in from ?Bradshaw Farm? area back in the 80s. I always thought a helicopter commute was the way to go!

This all has the makings of a reality TV series...The Real Desperate Newsfolks of Atlanta

Unread 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM

255 posts, read 392,321 times
I watch Channel 2 weather mainly because I find Karen Minton to be a sexy older woman, and thats the phase of my life that i'm in right now craving older women.

Unread 12-14-2009, 05:49 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,055,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I watch Channel 2 weather mainly because I find Karen Minton to be a sexy older woman, and thats the phase of my life that i'm in right now craving older women.
Dude...

Unread 12-14-2009, 06:29 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Seen a lot of weatherpersons in a lot of cities. Not sure why Atlanta's are getting singled out for this abuse. There's not a dime's worth of difference between them and those in similar markets IMO.
Agreed. Weather reports are based on meteorological data. Weatherpersons are hired for their personality and their ability to make the data seem interesting. There is not much to distinguish them, and let's be frank...the weather is not a particularly significant news story unless the forecast invovles severe weather that could jeopardize the safety of a community's citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta