Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM

113 posts, read 311,303 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else frustrated with the state of TV weather meteorologists in Atlanta? People like Paul Ossman and Dagmar Midcap really aren't meteorologists as much as they are entertainers. They really don't seem to have a clue when they forecast the weather and it looks like they're going through the motions most of the time. I don't want to hear a 40% chance of rain or what the model shows. Any idiot or robot can tell me that. They're basically ripping off the National Weather Service forecast when they do that. Don't they have their own opinion on what might happen? I guess not. I actually want them to give a weather forecast. I want to know where a storm is coming from and why a storm that caused snow in Houston completely missed Atlanta but somehow regenerated over Tennessee. They seem unable to tell me anything but what a damn computer model says. I guess I have higher standards for TV weatherpeople, growing up in the Northeast, where weather forecasting is really a science, and they do a much better job of explaining weather to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:52 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Is anyone else frustrated with the state of TV weather meteorologists in Atlanta? People like Paul Ossman and Dagmar Midcap really aren't meteorologists as much as they are entertainers. They really don't seem to have a clue when they forecast the weather and it looks like they're going through the motions most of the time. I don't want to hear a 40% chance of rain or what the model shows. Any idiot or robot can tell me that. They're basically ripping off the National Weather Service forecast when they do that. Don't they have their own opinion on what might happen? I guess not. I actually want them to give a weather forecast. I want to know where a storm is coming from and why a storm that caused snow in Houston completely missed Atlanta but somehow regenerated over Tennessee. They seem unable to tell me anything but what a damn computer model says. I guess I have higher standards for TV weatherpeople, growing up in the Northeast, where weather forecasting is really a science, and they do a much better job of explaining weather to you.
My two favorites are Ken Cook on WAGA and Glenn Burns on WSB. They are the most professional of them all and always make pretty accurate predictions.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Dagmar Midcap isn't a real weather woman. She just reads weather. ratings gimmick. She's weather eyecandy...

I prefer fox5 team for weather coverage. Ken has been here for 30+ years.

Channel 2 irks me. Glen Burns reminds me of a boring professor.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:29 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
Ugh, that Dagmar Midcap!
I don't know where they gete their forecasts from, but they don't seem nearly as accurate as the meterologists from where I moved (Tampa, Florida). I actually get more accurate forecasts for the Atlanta area by going to the regional forecast from my favorite folks in Florida. LOL

Old 12-12-2009, 04:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,994 times
I don't think that they just make it up. If the report comes out of Dagmar or the meterologists who wrote it for her, the forecast should be the same. The anchors don't write the news, they just read the teleprompters why should it be any different for the weather people. Let's not hate on the eyecandy!

Old 12-12-2009, 05:00 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Seen a lot of weatherpersons in a lot of cities. Not sure why Atlanta's are getting singled out for this abuse. There's not a dime's worth of difference between them and those in similar markets IMO.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 PM

165 posts, read 484,065 times
I'm surprised this is even an issue to people lol. I just throw up my mac weather widget, and care about cold/hot or rain/clear.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Seen a lot of weatherpersons in a lot of cities. Not sure why Atlanta's are getting singled out for this abuse. There's not a dime's worth of difference between them and those in similar markets IMO.
Indeed. Three previous posts complain about Dagmar Midcap. She was a Vancouver, BC traffic and weather reporter before being hired away to Atlanta in 2007. I remember reading about her departure in the Vancouver media. Thus this thread's leading example of a non-meteorologist weather reporter is a Canadian product who relatively recently moved to an Atlanta station.

TV weather reporting is scripted anyway, and I guess the stations' market research indicates that good looks and personality gets more ratings than meteorological expertise. As LD says, there's nothing unique to Atlanta about this.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 PM

210 posts, read 454,942 times
My father met Ken Cook when he was working at Honeybaked Ham in Tucker circa 1982. He just came in, ordered as quickly as possible and left...

Old 12-12-2009, 09:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
TV weathermen are for the most part simply celebrities these days. If you did enough into the drama rumors locally, you'll find their personal lives have about as much controversial stuff as a Hollywood E-story on cable, too.

Their job for the most part is to dress nice, show up, and look at weather.com to re-read what they find there to those of us who are too lazy to look it up ourselves, occasionally talk about the "computer models" (they no longer forecast things themselves it seems), and brag about the latest 3-D optiflex infiniradar system they're using. Yawn.

My cell phone gets the "mycast" weather service on it. I can see live radar as it's headed my way, see severe alerts, and forecasts from the same sources as the weather celebs are reading from. And I don't have to listen to 32 minutes of, "Weather, when we come back from the break!", stalls, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta