Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times

Advertisements

IS there a city rec center in Buford where you pay a fee for kids activities, for ex. pee wee soccer for the city, etc. Is there a YMCA that offers kids activities nearby? Or something of this nature in a town close? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:04 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Most places that you might live around Buford will not be in the city limits. Here in Gwinnett, the counties provide most of the activities, generally centered around the various county parks, such as Bogan Park in the Buford area (which has a nice pool). Google "Gwinnett County Parks" and "Gwinnett LIFE" for parks and rec information. Many of the county parks have pee wee soccer, or you can check atlantaunitedsoccer.com for a more organized experience, based out of George Pierce Park in Suwanee. One thing that you will find here in metro Atlanta is that you really can't think in terms of "towns" as you might in Florida - most areas are actually unincorporated county (e.g. Gwinnett, Cobb, etc.) and therefore most government functions are at the county level. For example, the Mall of GA area has a Buford address, but is actually in unincorporated Gwinnett county.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:40 PM

I just googled and was so excited to see all that is offered.
Thank you.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I just googled and was so excited to see all that is offered.
Thank you.
Are you already back home?

If so, what are your overall thoughts re: your visit?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Yup. Home now.
My thoughts....
beautiful!!! We were extremely impressed in the friendliness of the people. The thing is, it wasn't just the fact that you guys say hello to us, it's the fact that you go out of your way to say hello, and beyond that (holding doors, customer service, waiting in line with friendly people). We are very friendly people, and it is seldom that it is reciprocated where we live. We were also excited about the amount of families that we saw. Everytime we dined out, we saw parents and little ones. We have a 3 and 6 yr old, and where we live the avg age is over 65. So to see such an abundance of children was awesome! The town itself is clean, pretty, etc.
We plan on coming back in late winter/early spring, and will have interviews lined up before the trip. We are applying for Hubby's GA PA license this week or so.
The homes were gorgeous! Huge, inexpensive, with kids in the neighborhood.
The mall was beautiful.
It was a nice experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Are you already back home?

If so, what are your overall thoughts re: your visit?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Yup. Home now.
My thoughts....
beautiful!!! We were extremely impressed in the friendliness of the people. The thing is, it wasn't just the fact that you guys say hello to us, it's the fact that you go out of your way to say hello, and beyond that (holding doors, customer service, waiting in line with friendly people). We are very friendly people, and it is seldom that it is reciprocated where we live. We were also excited about the amount of families that we saw. Everytime we dined out, we saw parents and little ones. We have a 3 and 6 yr old, and where we live the avg age is over 65. So to see such an abundance of children was awesome! The town itself is clean, pretty, etc.
We plan on coming back in late winter/early spring, and will have interviews lined up before the trip. We are applying for Hubby's GA PA license this week or so.
The mall was beautiful.
It was a nice experience
Wonderful! So glad you had such a great experience.

I sometimes forget just how friendly metro Atlanta is - that is, until I leave the area.

I made the move from Orlando 23 years ago. I was the best thing I EVER did, imo! Atlanta has been very, very good to me.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
"where we live the avg age is over 65." you must be in Venice???
we are in Sarasota, looking to move to Dawsonville/Dahlonega.
i work for Publix and will be transferring this summer when kids are out of school. couldn't agree with you more about the friendliness and beauty of the area.
as for cost of living, your dollar defiantly goes much farther up there than down here, beautiful homes with beautiful views.......

Quote:
Yup. Home now.
My thoughts....
beautiful!!! We were extremely impressed in the friendliness of the people. The thing is, it wasn't just the fact that you guys say hello to us, it's the fact that you go out of your way to say hello, and beyond that (holding doors, customer service, waiting in line with friendly people). We are very friendly people, and it is seldom that it is reciprocated where we live. We were also excited about the amount of families that we saw. Every-time we dined out, we saw parents and little ones. We have a 3 and 6 yr old, and where we live the avg age is over 65. So to see such an abundance of children was awesome! The town itself is clean, pretty, etc.
The mall was beautiful.
It was a nice experience

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,149 times
my bad your in SE FL not SW FL.
but still the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
"where we live the avg age is over 65." you must be in Venice???
we are in Sarasota, looking to move to Dawsonville/Dahlonega.
i work for Publix and will be transferring this summer when kids are out of school. couldn't agree with you more about the friendliness and beauty of the area.
as for cost of living, your dollar defiantly goes much farther up there than down here, beautiful homes with beautiful views.......

Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 AM

We are on the Boca Raton border.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I moved here from the pacific northwest and my experience with customer service was the opposite. I really noticed it when we first moved here and to this day half the time when I checkout at a grocery store or order fast food the clerk doesn't say a word to you, just starts ringing up your items. Most stores back home always said how are you, did you find everything, the stores there require it as part of the job many times. Just a different attitude about customer service sometimes.

This is not universal but I have noticed it at quite a few places includiing yesterday at Krogers. Part of it may be that I live in the city but have also experienced this in the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wonderful! So glad you had such a great experience.

I sometimes forget just how friendly metro Atlanta is - that is, until I leave the area.

I made the move from Orlando 23 years ago. I was the best thing I EVER did, imo! Atlanta has been very, very good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta