U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 AM

7,680 posts, read 9,708,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Unless you plan on downloading large files (10GB+) or have 10 people in your house, 6Mbps is usually fast enough. Loading web pages and even streaming video/audio will be fine on this connection, and up to a bandwidth point, you won't notice a difference because the uplink connection on the server won't be fast enough.
Actually, the download speed isn't the problem. I had ATT 6Mb DSL, and the problem was the upload speed. It's 512Kbps, but after the framing overhead, you're lucky if you get 400K. To do video with voice, that's just not enough. With Comcast, I have more upload bandwidth than I had download bandwidth with ATT. For some, not a big deal, but I use my connection for work, and uploading a 5MB PowerPoint takes forever with 400K upload speed, and then prevents simultaneous video.

Also, I have a family of 5, so we constantly have more than one device active, and you'd be surprised how that download bandwidth adds up when one kid is on Youtube, and another on XBOX Live, etc.

I love my DOCSIS 3 HSI connection, and frankly have not had issues beyond a couple of minor outages...less than what I had with DSL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,506,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Unless you plan on downloading large files (10GB+) or have 10 people in your house, 6Mbps is usually fast enough. Loading web pages and even streaming video/audio will be fine on this connection, and up to a bandwidth point, you won't notice a difference because the uplink connection on the server won't be fast enough.
Maybe people need the bandwidth? Im not sure what makes you qualified to judge what people need and how they should use it

Not to mention your upload is ~500 with bellsouth. with comcast you can sustain over 1.5mpbs and get ~6 in bursts

Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 AM

214 posts, read 356,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
We have U-verse. There are some definite plusses (can start a program in one room and watch it from the same stopped point in another, can record 4 programs at once), but a few minuses:

1) Our primary TV (the one to which the receiver is attached) works great, but sometimes the secondary TV's "freeze up," both on live and recorded TV. You can restart the box, but sometimes it freezes up repeatedly.

2) You can't stop live TV on the secondary boxes as you can with a Tivo box (can do so on the primary TV).

3) I find the remote control somewhat confusing and infuriating compared to the Tivo remote (e.g., how to get back to live TV from recorded TV).

Mainly minor stuff. Price is slightly less than Comcast, but not significantly so. I have found the internet to be quite good (less random outages than Comcast). Customer service is definitely better than Comcast, but that's not really saying a lot.
We have U-verse also. So far, so good. Have been a customer since July. . .the installation was very interesting to say the least. But in the end it worked out. We have the U300 Bundle and the price is GREAT compared to what Comcast was charging us.

We are located in the Sandy Springs area. We had Uverse door-to-door salespeople stop by our home in Dekalb county in the spring. They offered us a killer deal, and after we sold our home we took them up on their offer. . .and negotiated in extras.

The only issues we have had so far have been with the secondary boxes. We like to rewind live TV sometimes, and you cannot do this with Uverse. But we are willing to deal with this because our experience with comcast was less than stellar. The internet was always inconsistent and also the cable quality was poor (especially during events like the Super Bowl, etc). . .I think this was due to splitting at the pole.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 AM

109 posts, read 228,630 times
ATT Universe is preferred by my family over comcast because the internet doesn't go down and its consistently fast and we get more TV channels than before. My only complaints are the channel numbers are confusing and sometimes maybe its our tv but the picture dims from time to time. However, their internet connection rocks in comparison to our experience with comcast.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:00 PM

42 posts, read 61,598 times
How is Charter? We have Comcast now with no issues but the area we're planning to move to seem to only have Charter.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 PM

631 posts, read 700,773 times
Comcast is Always going to be #1 in Internet and cable.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,894 times
I have Uverse, left comcast for it. Comcast positively SUCKS, it was out a lot and I make my living on the web so the bandwidth limitations when I was paying 90 bucks a month for premium service and I have the same cap as someone paying20 bucks a month? Thats what finally prompted me to leave and I dont miss those scumbags.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM

125 posts, read 243,395 times
I switched to uverse from Charter and love it. no problems to speak of at all. great selection of hd channels.

the main reason I prefer uverse is the reception is lightyears better than Charter. we have a large 57" rear projection tv, those tend to be a bit fuzzy or grainy compared to plasma or lcd. but when the uverse guy hooked it up, all of my channels looked like hd quality. couldn't believe it was the same tv. channel guide could be a little better tho, it can be confusing.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,676 times
I have great deals on Uverse email me if your serious [email]saraknoxville@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 11,595 times
Default FIOS vs. U-verse

Interesting comments:

I have FIOS and have exactly the same issues as were noted with U-Verse. The freeze on the other TVs is caused by the slow internal communications between the local set top box and the DVR via the router.

BTW: FIOS only allows 2 simultanious recording. I believe that U-verse has the capability to do 4. I would love to try U-Verse.

Still both are far better then COMCAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta