U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 11:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,897,261 times

Advertisements

I have researched and noticed a lot hit Cobb (F4's, etc).
Does Gwinnett County get a lot? Are there siren systems in Gwinnett?
I'm terrified of Tornadoes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,190,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Gwinnett does not have as many tornadoes as Cobb County. Cobb is in a mini-tornado alley; therefore, that area sees the most tornado activity in metro Atlanta. You have nothing to be worried about in Gwinnett.
I do not think Gwinnett has tornado sirens yet, but I believe that they are in the process of adding them (http://www.gwinnettforum.com/issue/07.0810.htm).

"Gwinnett seeks $447,787 grant for siren warning system
Gwinnett Police Chief Charles Walters got approval from the Board of Commissioners Tuesday to apply for a $447,787 grant to help fund a system of warning sirens.

Waters says: "This would be the first phase of a plan to eventually cover all 447 square miles of the county. We plan to locate 11 sirens along the 20-mile path of the 1998 tornado that affected Peachtree Corners, Technology Park, Berkeley Lake, Duluth, Cardinal Lake, Sugarloaf, Lawrenceville-Suwanee and Collins Hill." That tornado damaged 2,400 buildings at a cost of more than $125 million.

The sirens would be capable of giving both tone and voice warnings in various languages. "We have become a heavily populated county yet we've had to rely on news media broadcasts and weather radios to warn residents of impending natural disasters, and redundancy of information is critical," Board Chairman Charles Bannister said. "I applaud Chief Walters and Homeland Security Director Major Alan Doss for planning and developing this much-needed supplemental warning system."

The sirens would be located on county property at the following proposed locations: Holcomb Bridge Park, Pinckneyville Park, Shorty Howell Park, McDaniel Farm Park, Fire Stations 4, 19, 7, and 21, Peachtree Ridge High School, Collins Hill High School and Gwinnett Center. These locations are tentative and ultimately will be determined through topographic and other studies.

The Board agreed to provide a 25 percent match of almost $112,000 if the proposed grant from the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program of the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) is approved next year."

Old 12-14-2009, 11:28 AM

1,432 posts, read 4,345,374 times
Anecdotally, it seems like all of the worst storms hit the west side of the state, towards the Alabama state line. However, we did have a small tornado touch down in Suwanee during the past year; minimal damage.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 AM

13,455 posts, read 21,932,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Gwinnett does not have as many tornadoes as Cobb County. Cobb is in a mini-tornado alley; therefore, that area sees the most tornado activity in metro Atlanta. You have nothing to be worried about in Gwinnett.
I do not think Gwinnett has tornado sirens yet, but I believe that they are in the process of adding them (Gwinnett Forum.com -- Gwinnett County's community forum and idea exchange).

Gwinnett Police Chief Charles Walters got approval from the Board of Commissioners Tuesday to apply for a $447,787 grant to help fund a system of warning sirens.

Waters says: "This would be the first phase of a plan to eventually cover all 447 square miles of the county. We plan to locate 11 sirens along the 20-mile path of the 1998 tornado that affected Peachtree Corners, Technology Park, Berkeley Lake, Duluth, Cardinal Lake, Sugarloaf, Lawrenceville-Suwanee and Collins Hill." That tornado damaged 2,400 buildings at a cost of more than $125 million.

The sirens would be capable of giving both tone and voice warnings in various languages. "We have become a heavily populated county yet we've had to rely on news media broadcasts and weather radios to warn residents of impending natural disasters, and redundancy of information is critical," Board Chairman Charles Bannister said. "I applaud Chief Walters and Homeland Security Director Major Alan Doss for planning and developing this much-needed supplemental warning system."

The sirens would be located on county property at the following proposed locations: Holcomb Bridge Park, Pinckneyville Park, Shorty Howell Park, McDaniel Farm Park, Fire Stations 4, 19, 7, and 21, Peachtree Ridge High School, Collins Hill High School and Gwinnett Center. These locations are tentative and ultimately will be determined through topographic and other studies.

The Board agreed to provide a 25 percent match of almost $112,000 if the proposed grant from the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program of the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) is approved next year."

Yes, Georgia's "Tornado Alley" stretches from the southwest to the northeast through Carroll, Coweta, Douglas, Cobb, Cherokee, North Fulton, Forsyth, and Hall Counties. There's also a mini-tornado alley in the southwestern part of the state in the Mitchell-Baker Counties area.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,434,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
According to the Tornado History Project, there have been 27 tornados in Cobb County (or partially in Cobb County) since 1950, and one (1992-11-22) was an F4 tornado.

TornadoHistoryProject.com - Tornado Maps and Database

There have only been 10 tornados in Gwinnette since 1950, none of them larger than F2.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,897,261 times
Thanks to all of you for this excellent info

Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM

184 posts, read 442,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
I do not think Gwinnett has tornado sirens yet, but I believe that they are in the process of adding them (Gwinnett Forum.com -- Gwinnett County's community forum and idea exchange).

How does it cost almost $500k for 11 sirens?

Only government could manage to waste this much money. There are only about 200k households in Gwinnett, they could buy a dollar store radio for every home and save more than half of this money.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM

13,455 posts, read 21,932,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
According to the Tornado History Project, there have been 27 tornados in Cobb County (or partially in Cobb County) since 1950, and one (1992-11-22) was an F4 tornado.

There have only been 10 tornados in Gwinnette since 1950, none of them larger than F2.

I remember that one on 11-22-1992...it ravaged the Chestnut Hill neighborhood off of Bells Ferry Road.

We were a few miles away (northern Johnson Ferry area)...there was this big gush of wind and intensity...

...soon after, news broke of a tornado in northern Cobb County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta