Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,961,398 times

Advertisements

I know that Gwinnett County uses people from our prison all the time to clean up. I have to say, I think most parts of Gwinnett tend to be fairly clean compared to other areas of the metro because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:33 AM

625 posts, read 1,143,376 times
when you say "trash on the side of the road" that could mean several things

Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 AM

70 posts, read 294,859 times
It is not only Atlanta but all of Georgia. We moved up here 3 yrs ago and from the first week here I was astonished at the litter people throw out of their vehicles. We live in a subdivision where every so often I take a lg plastic bag and pick up a whole sackfull of garbage.Georgians are pigs. They don't pick up after their dogs either. I was in Fort Yargo the other day {a gorgeous state park} and the dog crap is everywhere.They do not realize how beautiful this state is, they must think someone else is going to pick it up.They throw their garbage on the front lawn of another home.I have been working with the county I live in and they gave me orange vest to wear and pickup sticks and I tried to get the neighbors involved to no avail. It is the mentality of or the absence of mentality. Their parents have always thrown trash and the children do it also. It is a shame.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,699,523 times
People should take pride in where they live no matter where they live and have respect for the place and communities they visit. This problem is not limited to just Atlanta but to a lot of places. Throw your trash away!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:38 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,283,520 times
I've been to a couple of beautiful places in the U.S. like the Ozarks in Missouri and I've seen just as much litter there as I have seen here. Littering is an American problem and it doesn't help that our media and our government influence our society into having this mass-consumerist-ideology without equally giving attention to the consequences.

Maybe if there was a litter-tax for cleanup added to such easily disposable items like glass bottles, styrofoam products, and others to account for these externalities maybe folks will think twice before littering. Just my suggestion, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael near Athens View Post
It is not only Atlanta but all of Georgia. We moved up here 3 yrs ago and from the first week here I was astonished at the litter people throw out of their vehicles. We live in a subdivision where every so often I take a lg plastic bag and pick up a whole sackfull of garbage.Georgians are pigs. They don't pick up after their dogs either. I was in Fort Yargo the other day {a gorgeous state park} and the dog crap is everywhere.They do not realize how beautiful this state is, they must think someone else is going to pick it up.They throw their garbage on the front lawn of another home.I have been working with the county I live in and they gave me orange vest to wear and pickup sticks and I tried to get the neighbors involved to no avail. It is the mentality of or the absence of mentality. Their parents have always thrown trash and the children do it also. It is a shame.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:29 AM

513 posts, read 1,626,041 times
I've lived here 20 years and never noticed a litter problem all around. Maybe in poor areas or at the top of exit ramps. People who throw trash out of their car are probably miserable to be around.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 PM

631 posts, read 1,222,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noles11 View Post
My goodness! I have lived in many cities and have NEVER seen the amount of trash on the side of the road like here in Atlanta. Is there an organization that can help with this problem.

If I have to start a volunteer group and get the media involved I will! More people should care about where they live.

-Trash hater
I would hate for you to live in NYC or philly you would really go crazy if you think trash here is bad

Old 12-24-2009, 06:18 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,271,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
I would hate for you to live in NYC or philly you would really go crazy if you think trash here is bad
Agreed. I don't know where you folks are looking to see all this trash, but the areas I travel in/around are surprisingly clean. Having lived in the NJ/NY metro area as well as Las Vegas, I can tell you that the trash here is virtually non-existent compared to what you can see in those areas. The same goes for the graffiti- you hardly see any graffiti along the highways here, whereas every overpass, wall, sign, etc., is covered in it in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta