U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,495 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm a professional single woman in her mid 30's considering moving to Atlanta. Seattle is awesome, but I need a change and I can work for my current company in Atlanta. I'd like to be close-in with plenty of options of things to do. What neighborhoods would you suggest and what should I expect to spend on a nice 2 or 3 bedroom 2 bath house?

Thanks for your help!
svinsea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

989 posts, read 1,157,501 times
Will you be working in the city of Atlanta or a suburb of ATlanta? This will determine the answers you will receive as you will not want to live too far from your job due to our horrible traffic.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM

19,825 posts, read 8,105,794 times
Where in the city will you be working?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 PM

48 posts, read 94,356 times
As a single woman that just moved here from Seattle last October, I'd say if you don't want to be subjected to extreme culture shock, you would do best in the northern part of the city, or in cool neighborhoods like Inman park.

Atlanta is a different beast then Seattle in almost every way imaginable, make sure you do plenty of research and really decide if this is where you want to live! There are many great things about Atlanta, and compared to Seattle transportation, MARTA is heaven. But I'll say again...proceed with caution!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,924,881 times
I would also check out Midtown. Remember your SPF, the sun actually shines down here. Seattle is awesome, I love it there. Seeing Mt. Ranier in the distance is great! The natural beauty of Seattle is far superior to Atlanta. Property values here are not as expensive as the Seattle area. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,270,023 times
Many say the traffic is horrible in Seattle too and they just opened their first section of light rail this year so we are way ahead of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Will you be working in the city of Atlanta or a suburb of ATlanta? This will determine the answers you will receive as you will not want to live too far from your job due to our horrible traffic.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 21,557,536 times
I have known and/or worked with several people over the years who moved here from Seattle and as per SGRLPS's comments, I too would suggest that if possible, you come here for a week or two and get the feel for the place first before making the decision to move.

You may wind up liking it a lot, or you may find the cultural difference too different to handle. There really is a difference in West vs East coast mindsets and for some that's good, others bad. Of those I've talked to about it, most were overall not very happy with the Seattle-to-Atlanta conversion, but a couple were ok with it - so really explore first. Ideally, your company would allow you a temporary transfer so you could test the waters first and rent a place, then after whatever time frame they allow you (90 days, etc) you may know if you want to make it a permanent move or not. Maybe they'll allow that.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:23 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,270,023 times
I was one that moved from Washington State (albeit not Seattle) to Atlanta and love Atlanta. Since the OP wants a change she is obviously ready for a different place. Having easy access to exploring a different part of the country is great, the warmer weather is great for most etc. Like any city you can find different areas that have different vibes.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,924,881 times
I agree with AtlantaGreg30127. If there is anyway to check out Atlanta for a period of time that would be the best. The vision of Atlanta and the reality may be different. Also be aware that the Atlanta Metro area is very different than most of the rest of Georgia. An hour outside of Atlanta is more "Southern" and conservative in their views.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,495 times
I do project accounting work and will most likely work in downtown Atlanta, but each project will be with a different company (so it is tough to decide on one specific place to live related to my work). My company currently works with places like Home Deport, Delta, Coke, etc. The potential upside is that with project work if I'm not digging Atlanta I can move back after a project is complete. I'm really doubting that will happen, though.

My father was in the military and I've lived many different places (El Paso, TX for many years included). My family is from southern Missouri and I've spent tons of time there. I'm slightly nervous about the culture change, but mostly really excited to be in a more diverse area. Seattle is feeling really disconnected from everything else right now and I'm anxious to change that.

For those of you that have lived in Seattle before I'm currently in Ballard and love it. For those of you who don't know Seattle Ballard is less than 10 minutes from downtown and has it's own neighborhood feel with lots of places to eat and drink.

Thanks for all your help! And, I do plan on heading to Atlanta sometime in the Spring for a sanity check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta