U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 AM

35 posts, read 113,604 times

Advertisements

Sorry everyone...I wrote that before I saw the crime rates in atlanta...To many murders for my taste lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,896,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro5621 View Post
Sorry everyone...I wrote that before I saw the crime rates in atlanta...To many murders for my taste lol
Then don't move into a bad area. It's a metro of 5.6 million people, after all, and the City of Atlanta makes up roughly 10% of the total population and far less than 10% of the total area.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 30,614 times
I'm considering taking a job with Delta airlines in the near future. I will be moving from Minneapolis, and from a similar job with another airline. I will be moving with my girlfriend, no pets, and few belongings. I am a 22 yo, 2 years out of college, with a bachelors degree in Finance, a car I'm making payments on, a passion for photography, rock climbing, and travel (convenient to work for an airline)

1. Budget
The two of us would like to spend no more than $1100 for basic rent, $100 for cable/internet, and a normal amount for heat/AC/elec/water/sewage
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
Renting an apartment, non-negotiable
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
I will be commuting to Delta Headquarters near the airport. My girlfriend is unsure of what she'll be doing for employment, but she is a student coordinator at a large university currently.
4. Children(public school vs. private)
0 children, hopefully 0 on the way for a long time
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Urban, 100%, I like having access to all sorts of things. But I also enjoy parks and recreation being right by me (Had been looking at piedmont park)
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
Important, but not supremely so. We both have automobiles, but would prefer to not use them if possible on daily errands.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Safe, immediately accessible parks/recreation. Preferably young, open-minded, active. I don't like loud bars/clubs, but prefer to drink at quiet taverns/pubs.

I'd be happy to share anything else if it would help you guys

Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 PM

200 posts, read 379,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtamd View Post
I currently live in MD. Im looking to relocate to Gwinett Co Ga. Basicly the cost of living here is just killling me! Currently I pay about $1775 a month for a 3br twnhouse. My wife and I have 1child entering high school and 2 in elementry. I have visited a few times and really like the Suwanee/Buford area. Im just a little worried about racism, school systems, and economy. Finding a job for me shouldn't be difficult for me. Im currently a barber but I will have to build all new clientle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Suwanee/Buford areas are great areas. You shouldn't feel out of place...I dont know what ethnicity you are but i am black and know some people out that way. ALL of Gwinnett county is diversifiyng pretty fast and minorities can go wherever our dollar takes us.

I think its too far out from Atlanta, but if you are working out there or don't mind the commute, and plan on raising a family, I would definatley recommend the area..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 23,844 times
Question relocating to metro-Atlanta

Our employer is relocating my fiance and I to the metro-Atlanta area in February. We have lived in Orlando, Chicago, and the DC area. Any pointers would be welcome.

1. Budget-NOT AN ISSUE
2. House/Condo/Townhome?-PREFER SINGLE FAMILY HOUSE WITH GARAGE
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)-COMMUTE
4. Children(public school vs. private)-NOT AN ISSUE
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two-SUBURBAN/COUNTRY LIVING
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?-NOT IMPORTANT
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.-UPWARDLY MOBILE PROFESSIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD

Our office is located in Suwanee, but will be traveling the entire metro area for various projects. I prefer to stick to the outer perimeter and North of I-20 as much as possible for weekend trips to Augusta.

Any advice is welcome, such as best places to live for commute time, living out in the boonies, property taxes, etc.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

734 posts, read 1,774,718 times
How often will you be traveling the metro area each week? Any areas you might frequent more than others? When you're not commuting will you be in the office in Suwanee or working from home?

Based on what I know so far from your answers (btw thank you for providing them) since budget is no issue and you would like to stick to the outer perimeter area I would suggest Alpharetta,zip codes to consider 30022,30004. Alpharetta is in Fulton county (highest taxed county, but less than taxes in Chicago and D.C.) You will definitely have the country/suburban feel you desire up there. Duluth,ga (the part that is in Forsyth County, zip 30097) is another northern county next to the alpharetta area, lower taxes and definitely has the suburban feel. As far as commute times, Atlanta traffic is legendary. From the areas I mentioned to Suwanee, avg. time 20-25 (as you would be taking main streets, b/c taking the highways would take you out of your way as there is no direct highway access btwn the two areas.) Even though alpharetta, and duluth are a little north of the outer perimeter I mention those b/c of their relative proximity to your home office in suwanee, even though you will be traveling all around the metro, it's still important for your peace of mind not to have to deal with the traffic anymore than you already will have to traveling to diffferent projects in the city. Now one intown place north of I-20 yet right in the perimeter is Vinings. A charming area where you can walk to shops, restaurants etc. Low taxes (cobb county) and very close to I-75 and right off I-285. From Vinings to Suwanee would be tough as far as traffic, but to be honest, from any two spots in the city traffic is rough. Vinings zip 30339.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 28,204 times
Hi everyone. I know this question is repetitive but I would like to tailor it to my specifications. I am relocating from Columbus, OH to ATL and starting a new job in March which is located in Buckhead. I would like to be close to work (within 5 MI) as the traffic is horrendous. I'm a 23 yo, single male and looking to be within walking distance of bars and restaurants for less than $1,000/mo for rent. I will be working long hours during the week but would like to unwind on the weekends. Work hard, play hard. I am thinking Midtown is the play but I do not even know where to begin with the apt search as I am not familiar with the area. Any suggestions for apt complexes? I would like something more modern and a must have is a pool for meeting girls. Let me know if any additional info is needed and I will gladly provide. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 PM

200 posts, read 379,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve5986 View Post
Hi everyone. I know this question is repetitive but I would like to tailor it to my specifications. I am relocating from Columbus, OH to ATL and starting a new job in March which is located in Buckhead. I would like to be close to work (within 5 MI) as the traffic is horrendous. I'm a 23 yo, single male and looking to be within walking distance of bars and restaurants for less than $1,000/mo for rent. I will be working long hours during the week but would like to unwind on the weekends. Work hard, play hard. I am thinking Midtown is the play but I do not even know where to begin with the apt search as I am not familiar with the area. Any suggestions for apt complexes? I would like something more modern and a must have is a pool for meeting girls. Let me know if any additional info is needed and I will gladly provide. Thanks in advance for the help!
Welcome to Atlanta fellow Ohioan...I would look at Colonial Homes off Colonial Homes dr. Its not as modern as other complexes but you cant beat the rent for Buckhead I think its like no more than $950... there are alot of young people there and it puts you in the middle of everything. Its right before the Justins restaurant on Peachtree...

Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 24,997 times
1. Budget: 750-800 if possible all utilites included
2. House/Condo/Townhome?: Townhouse or home to rent
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute to work in Alpharetta
4. Children(public school vs. private): public high school and day care
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Doesnt really matter
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: would prefer easy access to mass trans
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.: Alpharetta, Rosewall, Marietta

Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM

734 posts, read 1,774,718 times
lisapooh26, I can't tell you much about a townhouse or home to rent, but others may. If you haven't completely ruled out apts, there are a lot of apartments that are on Peachtree-Dunwoody starting north of Abernathy Road that you may want to check out zip 30328. Not sure about the rent, but there are a variety of apts so one might fit. There is a marta station (Mass Transit) North Springs station that is right off that road, and another Sandy Springs Station is just south of Abernathy Road. Also GA-400 is right there so you could easily get to and from Alpharetta. Plenty of things to do in the area, Perimeter Mall and tons of restaurants. There are homes/townhomes in and around the area I described but I'm pretty sure rental rates will be much higher. I'm not sure about the schools, others that have school aged children might be able to help you out with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or