Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannie_pierre View Post
what is a good area to move to for a college student ? I want to live near downtown like east point sandy spring ect but i'm not to sure if it's safe ... HELP i don't want to pay more than 800$ a month on rent another question is it hard for a 19 year old to find a job ?

Thank you for yur time
Where are you going to college? That is a pretty important part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,958 times
I am 21 years of age, single, with no children. I'm from Indiana, where I am deeply depressed, and not happy with life here. I've always been the adventurous one in my family, so everyone thinks I'm crazy for following my dreams and moving to Atlanta. I just got out of a very abusive relationship, and I am now being stalked, and slandered online, and though none of what's being said it is true, it bothers me, because no matter what I do, I can't shake this person. So, being in my situation, I chose a women's d/v shelter to go to. I am currently unemployed, with very little saved. I do have a little family in Atlanta, but I do not want to rely on them. I want a fresh start, away from people I know, to find myself. I do have skills, I do hair, I've been writing since I was 14 years old, around 5 finished novels, that I have yet to publish, and plenty more that are unfinished. I write movie scripts also. I model, and though I'm a beginner, it has come quite natural for me, and I also sing, and write my own music. I am beautiful, talented, and ambitious. As far as the work field, I have experience in customer service, warehouse work, and working with the elderly (CNA). I want to be the one in my family who actually makes a difference, I want to strive, and reach for the stars, and beyond. The only problem is, my family. They do not like the fact that I'm going to a shelter, which I understand. They do not want me to move alone, and they feel like I'll probably end up coming back. I love my family with all my heart, and I know how over protective they are, but I feel as if they are potentially holding me back, because I value their opinion. The only thing is, is that I value mines also, and I will do this. I think the shelter will be great with helping me, teaching me, and preparing me for Atlanta, so when I move on from them, I will be ready for whatever comes my way. I have been considering this move for about 2 years, so this isn't something I just woke up and thought of. What I need is, some outside opinions, and advice on my move, and me going to a shelter.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:09 PM

6 posts, read 13,216 times
1. 400/mo budget
2. 3 bedroom house
3. both commute and non commute depending on my desired employment
4. have no children
5. suburban lifestyle
6. public transport not important
7. undecided demographics

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM

738 posts, read 1,377,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraLee View Post
I have been considering this move for about 2 years, so this isn't something I just woke up and thought of. What I need is, some outside opinions, and advice on my move, and me going to a shelter.
Seriously, do not move here without a job. Atlanta is only barely recovering from the recession and unemployment is still high. Planning to live in an already-overburdened shelter is irresponsible at best. Wait until you have a job here and some savings so you can support yourself.

I'm sorry you are having a bad time where you are now, but geographical cures do not usually work, and in fact can make your problems worse.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbsallad View Post
1. 400/mo budget
2. 3 bedroom house
Seriously?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM

270 posts, read 703,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraLee View Post
Yeah I lived in Fort Wayne, IN for almost 3 years before moving away from it. There was nothing to do over there except grow corns
As for the moving away and starting fresh, it's a good idea imo. Heck, we only live once and life is too short to bear the feeling of regret. Do what you want and be happy, you know. Just remember that this is your choice and you must live with it for better or for worse.
Like others have said, you need a job before moving to a city like ATL, any cities period. Since you've said that you can do hair, why don't you get yourself a cosmetology license at least, so you can find a job in a hair salons in ATL. About the modeling, just be careful with the business. So many young girls have been taking advantage of and ending up in a very bad situation. It's good that you have an independent mind from a beginning, but family is always willing to help you no matter what. You are not gonna "rely" on them, you just need a guide/direction/advice from them since they live in ATL longer than you. It's not like you gonna move into their place, you get me?
I'm planning to move there by myself as soon as I finish with school. ATL is a beautiful city and you will love it! That is my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision. If you need anything, don't hesitate to PM me

Old 11-20-2012, 02:15 PM

270 posts, read 703,430 times
Quote:
1. 400/mo budget
2. 3 bedroom house
3. both commute and non commute depending on my desired employment
4. have no children
5. suburban lifestyle
6. public transport not important
7. undecided demographics
My friend is going to GA Tech and he pays about $1000/month for a 2-bedroom apartment in Midtown or somewhere close to GA Tech, I don't recall the exact location And that's probably the best deal I've heard compare to what I used to pay in Fort Wayne, IN ($500/month for 2-bedroom townhouse) and Miami, FL ($1000/month for 1-bedroom apartment)

Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
1. 400/mo budget
2. 3 bedroom house
I don't think this combination is possible in the Atlanta metro.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,163 times
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a place in Atlanta. Here are the answers to the questions:

1. $650-700/mo (sharing); ideally $700/mo studio; able to go to $750/mo if necessary
2. Renting an apartment
3. Commute all over the metro area (as private tutor), plus some work from home required
4. No children
5. Urban lifestyle
6. Yes. Ideally it would be 2-3 blocks from MARTA and a highly walkable area.
7. Racially diverse with young professionals, mid- to late 20's

Anyone have any leads, tips, etc? I have been looking at Underwood Hills (Calendelet apartment complex) and other parts of the west side, but while rent is cheap, it seems like I'd have to drive everywhere. I used to stay frequently in midtown, so I've been spoiled by the walkability of that area. I'm looking at the Piedmont Park area as well, but I'm worried about safety (near Ponce and Argonne).

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny_tonic View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a place in Atlanta. Here are the answers to the questions:

1. $650-700/mo (sharing); ideally $700/mo studio; able to go to $750/mo if necessary
2. Renting an apartment

I used to stay frequently in midtown, so I've been spoiled by the walkability of that area. I'm looking at the Piedmont Park area as well, but I'm worried about safety (near Ponce and Argonne).
Ponce and Argonne is a great area, but I suspect you'd need to double your budget.

You may get more response to this if you start your own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta