Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM

68 posts, read 121,813 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating back to Atlanta (not originally from there) after living in DC. I know that the summer will be here before I know it and Atlanta has changed so much since I lived there from 2004-2008. I am a 30 year old single (female) African American professional. Although I do like to get out to a happy hour or lounge once or twice a week, my club/party days are behind me. I am transitioning to a time in my life that I am interested in settling down.

Initially I would like to rent for a year, two at the most before purchasing a townhome or house.

1. Budget: $1000-$1500/month
2. House/Condo/Townhome?: No preference, but I need it to be in a nice/safe area. I have a small puppy, so I would like to have greenspace, but it is not a requirement. Would prefer a townhome though or a condo with greenspace.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): I will be working in Atlanta inner-city, and I refuse to live anywhere outside of the perimeter. Not just work reasons, but I never understood single folks that opt to live way outside of the perimeter. To each his own, just not for me
4. Children(public school vs. private): No children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two [mix or the two, or urban]
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? [not important]
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. [clean, safe, walking distance to stores/bars, professionals]

Areas that I like are Grant Park and Virginia Highlands. When I lived there before I lived in Midtown the whole time: Northside Drive (near Walmart), Dekalb ave (near inman park and lil 5), and Ponce and Juniper (behind Georgia Terrace). I liked all 3 locations, but it was great for a 20-something. Now looking for 30-something style of livcing. Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,840 times
1. Budget- savings of about 4k
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- will be staying with a friend
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- will be looking for a job once I get there
4. Children(public school vs. private) have a 2yo son
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- would like a suburban life with access to the city
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? YES access to publ;ic transportation
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- not sure... space close to stores, hospitals,...

I have the opportunity to move to GA with friend we both have small children.. I currently live in VA ( ugh!) Petersburg area.. I have 20+ years experience working with persons w dev disabilities...is there a market in the ATL metro area? Looking for somewhere safe, good schools and daycare..and accessible to public transportation...been on craigslist and indeed and see where most of the jobs are on the North side of ATL..

Thanks!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM

14 posts, read 15,338 times
Hi!
I might be relocating to Atlanta from Miami, FL on my own in about 2 months to take a job near ATL airport. I’m a 22-year-old female (recent college grad, though not big on the college crowd/scene: more into the young professional-mid 20s-30s scene).

I mostly enjoy the city lifestyle, so I’m looking to RENT a studio (since it should be cheaper) or 1-bedroom in an area with restaurants, stores, hospital(s), nightlife, but most importantly: a reasonably SAFE area and/or condo! There seems to be a consensus online about these neighborhoods fitting that description: Buckhead, Midtown, Virginia Highland, Inman Park, Cabaggetown? Not quite/other recommendations?

-Budget for rent ($900 tops) +utilities($250?). Preference for condo or townhome with controlled access and/or parking space/garage.
-I have a car, willing to commute up to 15 miles or so, time is not an issue.

Since it’d be my first time renting on my own, some (possibly) silly questions:

-Do most rentals in Atlanta include basic appliances like stove and fridge?
-I hear utilities are very expensive in Atlanta? Average cost of utilities if I rent a condo? And/or what utilities are usually included (gas, garbage, water)??

Feel free to add any other comment/advice! I'll REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM

33 posts, read 98,739 times
I understand, I will be making the move shortly my self cobb county seems to offer great schools how ever, the area is a little more costly...good luck

Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM

16 posts, read 37,741 times
1. Budget - 500-600
2. House/Condo/Townhome - apartment/studio
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - work from home/phone sex worker
4. Children(public school vs. private) - none
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - yes, important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - white

Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,917 times
Hi there,

I apologise in advance for the confused rambling that will probably follow.

I'm 24, female and from N.Ireland. I'll be doing a voluntary internship in Atlanta from the start of June until the end of September. I've tried to google as much as possible in relation to accommodation but don't really feel like I'm getting anywhere. I think Decatur/Midtown sound like the sort of areas I should be looking at - signs of life after working hours, not too far away and on marta lines etc. I've looked at some apartment buildings but I don't think I really 'get' them due to the cultural difference - every photo of a 'convenient/central' apartment complex looks as if it's in the middle of nowhere by UK standards!

Ideally, I'd like to sublet or rent a (furnished) room in a shared house - apart from craig's list, are there any good websites for this? Roomster seems like a bit of a scam, and when I was looking at more student based sites (Emory on uloop) I found it difficult to tell how old listings were (maybe I just can't read)..

If I end up having to rent a studio/1br apartment, are there some reputable places which are central to their relative neighbourhood? I know this will sound really stupid but when I was trying to suss some out on apartmentratings.com, I couldn't figure out where the core of decatur actually was, if that makes sense.

Would I be better trying to use an agency of some sort? I don't know what the best option is for a technically unemployed international who is only going to be around for 4 months! (credit check and criminal records may be a bit complicated?)

I realise a lot of my problems stem from me being an atlantic ocean away but I'd be really grateful for any advice or pointers you could give me

1. Budget - Depends on the exchange rate, but I was thinking $750/mth? [currently estimating 40% of my budget will go on rent, unless that sounds totally ridiculous?]
2. House/Condo/Townhome?: Don't care, but I do need it to be furnished!
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): Commute - office in middle of downtown.
4. Children(public school vs. private): N/A
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Urban? Although not downtown, as I've heard that everyone goes home after work!
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: Yes, very. I've been told I won't have to drive for 'work' so would like to avoid having to rent a car (beyond the occasional zipcar).
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Open-minded, fairly young mix of professionals/ students?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM

39 posts, read 54,290 times
Default Moving from CA with young autistic son

1. Budget - Renting for the 1st year; looking to spend around $1400, but can go up to $1650
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Definitely a house; 4+ bed/2+ bath
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Husband's new job will be in Atlanta, walking distance from Buckhead station
4. Children(public school vs. private) - 2 year old triplets, one of whom is autistic; school district matters though so that we can get services for our autistic son when he turns 3
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Suburban or rural; definitely not urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - would be nice, but my husband is used to commuting 45 minutes to an hour each way and is prepared to continue to do that to ensure we live in the right place with the right schools
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood - Definitely family oriented areas since we have little ones. Would love access to a decent park, outdoor activities.

Right now we're leaning heavily towards Gwinnett County and Forsyth County, primarily because the housing seems to be in the right price range (to rent and buy; we plan on buying after a year or two), the schools seem to be pretty good (critical for my autistic son; we're used to great services here in CA, and though we know not to expect as much, we want the best we can get for him without going broke). We were looking at Fayette County as well, but in hindsight, the commute might be too much for my husband. I'd like to be no more than 30 minutes from big box stores (Target, Wally Mart, Costco, Sam's Club, etc), but don't want to live where houses are on top of each other or to live in a sea of beige (i.e. cookie cutter tract homes that all look the same). We're getting out of CA partially to get away from zero lot lines, and paying exorbitant prices for small houses on tight lots. And we just want a little slower pace of living. Definitely want to live OTP.

Anyway, not to harp on it, but I really would like to get a good feel for what kind of services we can expect for my son in particular areas. I've heard differing stories, even within the same county/district. My son is only 2 so he hasn't been assigned a "function level". Right now he receives services from Early Intervention. He attends an ASD preschool program that includes 1 hour a week of speech, 1 hour a week of OT, and 1 hour a week of DHH (deaf/hard of hearing services; he has a mild hearing loss also). Sorry if that's information overload! Trying to be thorough. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Default Where is the best place around Jonesboro or Forest park to live

Hey, thank you so much if your even taking time to read this, so my family and I are moving to Forestpark or close to and i really need some info. Good neighborhood vs. bad where is a decent place to raise 5 kids? And my goodness its expensive there im in Iowa and have a 3bdrm house full basement only 600 a mo, so everything im seeing is crazy expensive our bufget will allow for $800 a mo. Soo y'all id that possible not to move into the hood on that bufget? Forest park,Jonesboro,morrow anywhere close to thst area. Help please any advice will be appreciated. Oh by the way are pittbulls banned down there?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM

28 posts, read 97,369 times
My wife and I are both looking to relocate in the next year. Coming from Miami where everything is expensive, this would be a welcome change.

1. Budget: Up to $2000 a month.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House. Preferably on the outskirts of Atlanta with 1+ acre of land. More land the better.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home). Wife is an ARNP. I am an RN, but also a FF/Paramedic.
4. Children(public school vs. private). No children yet.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Suburban life with the ammenities of urban living. Dont know if that exists though. Definitely nothing urban.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? No we both drive.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. 30-40 preferably. We are both 30.

If you can give any tips on cities or locations to start looking so we can do more research we would appreciate it. We have a friend that just moved to Johns Creek and its very nice there!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,412 times
Default Memphis to Atlanta

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are planning to move back to Atlanta the summer of 2013. My husband works from home. I am in Geriatric/Hospice work. So I will be running around the Atlanta area.

Here are my criteria:
1. Budget= <=$2OO,OOO
2. House/Condo/Townhome?-PREFER SINGLE FAMILY HOUSE WITH 2+ GARAGES 3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)-COMMUTE 4. Children(public school vs. private)-Preferably Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two-SUBURBAN/COUNTRY LIVING 6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?-NOT IMPORTANT 7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.-UPWARDLY MOBILE PROFESSIONAL NEIGHBORHOOD
Additional Questions:
1. Are there a big market for hospice related work such as hospice/healthcare administration?
2. Are Peachtree Builders reliable? I would like both good and bad experiences. We did look at the Bridlewood subdivision.
3. Which zip codes have great schools? I know that the Pope School System in Marietta has great schools. Cumming also has great schools. I am torn between Marietta and Cumming.

Thanks in advance,
BLN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta