Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM

21 posts, read 78,986 times

Advertisements

We are considering a house that is made of stone and cedar plank siding. Although we always wanted an all brick house, multiple factors made us consider this house. My question are:
1. What is the longevity of cedar in this area?
2. What is the average cost of maintaining the cedar, from the yearly powerwashes to the every 3-5 year staining?
3. Would you get a house with cedar siding?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Depends greatly on the quality of the cedar and the exposure it gets (or doesn't get) to the elements, so it's tough to say The cost of maintaining the house will also vary greatly with its size, which you didn't mention. Would I buy a house with cedar siding? Sure- as long as it wasn't sitting in the middle of a field getting direct sun all day, and provided that the siding was installed properly in the first place.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 AM

39 posts, read 176,774 times
I don't know about cedar in the south however homes do require power washing living in the south to get rid of mold about every other year. Last time I had it done was about $200 although it depends on the size of the home.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:01 PM

21 posts, read 78,986 times
Don't know about the cedar quality itself but t is a Tobin home from 2005, probably around 6000 sq ft. The cedar is in the back, sides, and the upper part of the front.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 PM

21 posts, read 66,280 times
No matter how long you plan on being there, you should get some bids on replacing the siding just so you know what it will cost one day. You may never have to do it while you're living there but you may need to in order to sell. Cedar really does last a long time 20-30 years if properly cleaned and treated and if it receives enough sun. The problem is that it starts to look less than great well before that.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM

254 posts, read 522,033 times
I would not hesitate to buy a cedar siding home. Is it painted or stained currently? Up in New England you pay a premium for Cedar Siding similar to down south where you pay a premium for all Brick/Stone.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 AM

102 posts, read 708,263 times
I live in a cedar sided house. After 30 years I replaced it with hardie board fiber cement siding. The cedar starts to look bad after ten years if not stained and properly maintained. It is prone to mold in humid climates. It also develops cracks knot holes fall out........both of these are probelms and need to filled in with plastic wood or some other filler. I had a problem with birds building nests in knot holes in the spring....what a mess. You will need to powerwash and restain every five years. In my area that would cost $3500 or more. I would never have another cedar home. I love the hardie board....it is nearly maintenance free and looks quite good. If you love the house go ahead and make the purchase and replace the cedar when it starts to look bad with a fiber cement product.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:05 PM

254 posts, read 522,033 times
I do agree the Cement Board is much better, especially the pre-finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta